• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I haven't moved any goal posts once let alone again. You asked about non league striker who has scored a truck load in one season. I'm pointing out why that's high risk. In fact there was some study that out of £9m spent on big non league names only about £4.5/5m was regained from further sales.

Players don't have to be over 30 to be ex Championship level. No one would say Cox, Oxley or McL were to old. Or how about Anton, Turner or even Fortune, they have been good signings. Kightly may be to expensive but still cheaper than Ricky Miller over all. So I would say more of the same with our own youths rather than non league 'gems' that seem so popular amongst others.

We are not in a position to spend money on the academy and try to do a Peterborough. That would take several years and several million £s before we se the benefits. To do that you need a Barry Fry to oversee it as managers come and go but CP doesn't have that time or that budget.

Maybe Ron will find some money for CP for a L1/2 decent transfer signing but its more likely to be players released and if necessary a loan signing to cover that big strong number 9 position. Rotherham signed Kiefer Moore on loan, so maybe that's where we should look.

You did move the goalposts once, but only once in this thread. My response was poorly worded as it did imply that you had moved them more than once. The "Again" was in reference to reading your responses on other threads. I don't think you and I are going to agree so I'm going to leave it there rather than go tit for tat and list players that fit my argument. The fact is you can list players that have come from lower levels and done well and you can list players that have come from higher levels and done well, the opposite is true as well. I haven't suggested we change our whole philosophy once, I have just suggested one player who I am informed has no contract beyond this season (so that would get rid of the high transfer fee argument). It's fine to have your opinions we just don't agree and I don't see the point of going round in circles

****mic drop****

You did move the goalposts once, but only once in this thread. My response was poorly worded as it did imply that you had moved them more than once. The "Again" was in reference to reading your responses on other threads. I don't think you and I are going to agree so I'm going to leave it there rather than go tit for tat and list players that fit my argument. The fact is you can list players that have come from lower levels and done well and you can list players that have come from higher levels and done well, the opposite is true as well. I haven't suggested we change our whole philosophy once, I have just suggested one player who I am informed has no contract beyond this season (so that would get rid of the high transfer fee argument). It's fine to have your opinions we just don't agree and I don't see the point of going round in circles

****mic drop****

Fair enough. Its not that I'm totally anti non league its just not club policy and I can see why.

That wont of course stop some posters being outraged that someone 'tin pot' have signed X,Y or Z ahead of us, when in fact we were never after the player in the first place.

Or worse still a so called local lad not signing for us, remember the fuss over Billy knott going to Gills.

It's interesting, we're talking about these goalscoring strikers because it's what we've needed most of the season because I don't think we'll sign anyone with a proven track record. Partly because too many other club have deeper pockets than us but also because I don't think it's how CP will search for players. I think the main attribute will be work rate and an aspect of ability, pace, strength, movement, whatever; that makes CP say I can work with that.

When he came in he said it's my job to make these players feel confident enough to go out there and win football matches. All I'm saying is don't be disappointed if we sign three strikers with no goals between them, because this whole team has been putty in his hands.

The Egyptian lad at Liverpool looks useful. If he is up for taking his career to the next level rather than fester up there, we could do worse.

Arjen Robben is a free agent in the summer....maybe take him on for say a week.....

I've seen Kristian Dennis play a few times this season. He's currently at Chesterfield and has scored 20 goals this season. Add the fact that Chesterfield are bottom of the football pyramid, that's a fantastic return! Could be useful.

As others have said before, Akinde is a decent shout and with Barnet looking like relegation fodder, much like Chesterfield, hopefully prizing them away may prove less problematic.

Also like Sammie Szmodics, may be a bit beyond our reach. However, with Col u's former manager being in our ranks, you never know what could happen.

firstly, who do you think we need?
We need a keeper if Oxley goes. I'd keep him if we can but maybe we can't.
Then I think we have enough in defence, if Kiernan gets fit and looks the business.
Midfield we need a winger for sure but with Timlin, Yearwood and Mantom that's a decent start. Maybe another body in there.
Up front we need a BIG target man. We've got Cox and Robinson (who has proved most of us wrong) so we need two more for four in total.
Then I think we're not far off it.
Our home form has us about 5th, it's our away form that is the problem so I don't think we need major surgery.

Priority for me is a decent shot stopper, in consideration that the Ox is likely to leave,

The spine of the team IMHO is Turner, Yearwood and Cox, partners for all 3 please.

Hoping we will see more youngsters coming through next season, I see lots of talk of signing a big strong striker, but we have Acquah who’s big, strong and quick. Reckon he’ll be the next big hit as Dru has been this season.

So, Turner + Curtis Nelson, Dru + Mantom and Cox + ???

Can’t see us spending any cash, unless we keep Mantom, but one player who did stand out was Duane Holmes, who I think is out of contract, he’d be near top of my list.

Goalkeepers, now that’s going to be an interesting one.

Priority for me is a decent shot stopper, in consideration that the Ox is likely to leave,

The spine of the team IMHO is Turner, Yearwood and Cox, partners for all 3 please.

Hoping we will see more youngsters coming through next season, I see lots of talk of signing a big strong striker, but we have Acquah who’s big, strong and quick. Reckon he’ll be the next big hit as Dru has been this season.

So, Turner + Curtis Nelson, Dru + Mantom and Cox + ???

Can’t see us spending any cash, unless we keep Mantom, but one player who did stand out was Duane Holmes, who I think is out of contract, he’d be near top of my list.

Goalkeepers, now that’s going to be an interesting one.

That would be amazing if we signed both Nelson and Holmes.

Arjen Robben is a free agent in the summer....maybe take him on for say a week.....

PHP:
I think he's off to Swindon......................... their manager likes to sign those over 30. [QUOTE]In fact the further over 30 the better.:smile:[/QUOTE]PHP]

I heard a rumour blah blah blah

that, CP is hopeful of Oxley staying, Cox to stay, Anton to go, Kieran to go, MAF to go, Timo to go, pay Scunny for Mantom. CP looking to sign around 8 new players. Would be about right based of what we need and what's likely to leave

Would like to see Adam Thompson come back. Hasn’t worked out for him since he left. A centre back in his prime, wouldn’t be a big fee I’d imagine?

I've seen Kristian Dennis play a few times this season. He's currently at Chesterfield and has scored 20 goals this season. Add the fact that Chesterfield are bottom of the football pyramid, that's a fantastic return! Could be useful.

As others have said before, Akinde is a decent shout and with Barnet looking like relegation fodder, much like Chesterfield, hopefully prizing them away may prove less problematic.

Also like Sammie Szmodics, may be a bit beyond our reach. However, with Col u's former manager being in our ranks, you never know what could happen.

Akinde got a bad injury and hasn't been the same since. Szmodics was a target of Bournemouth rumoured to be a Million Pound fee. Then he got injured and is only just finding his early season form. So way beyond our budget.

I can think of another non league player we signed apart from freddy who was just as big a hit as freddy , maybe even bigger, hes now plying his trade and very successfully i may add with one of the Dundee clubs. BM.:blush::happy:

Back