• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Woody was offered a good deal - not "pay as you play" - but told he would be playing on the left wing. He knew, just as well as we did, that that was not his best position. Everything was ok with the deal apart from this. Powell was resistant to change what he saw as the right plan so Woody declined the contract offer. He will find another club quite easily, wouldn't surprise me if he went back to Colchester or was another to go to Stevenage. He has young children at school and won't want to disrupt family routine.

That's a really interesting insight, thank you. I think Powell has called it right there, he needs two hard-working combative central midfielders, and that is not Woody's style of play. He's creative and skilful and we may have been able to carry him a bit more on the wing. Good of Powell to be up front about this with Woody and fair play to Woody for being true to where he wants to play. Fascinating insight.

Woody was offered a good deal - not "pay as you play" - but told he would be playing on the left wing. He knew, just as well as we did, that that was not his best position. Everything was ok with the deal apart from this. Powell was resistant to change what he saw as the right plan so Woody declined the contract offer. He will find another club quite easily, wouldn't surprise me if he went back to Colchester or was another to go to Stevenage. He has young children at school and won't want to disrupt family routine.

Can't imagine Stevenage paying his wages. Woody quite a big time personality as well can't see wanting to drop down to L2 either and when you got Freddie Ladapo being able to find another L1 club he probably fancies his chances at getting a Championship club haha. I imagine the perfect move for Woody on a personal level would be Luton - Not far from home and will pay wages.

That's a really interesting insight, thank you. I think Powell has called it right there, he needs two hard-working combative central midfielders, and that is not Woody's style of play. He's creative and skilful and we may have been able to carry him a bit more on the wing. Good of Powell to be up front about this with Woody and fair play to Woody for being true to where he wants to play. Fascinating insight.

Very odd. You're getting money to play football. So what if it's not in your "favourite" position?

I imagine the perfect move for Woody on a personal level would be Luton - Not far from home and will pay wages.
Yes, that's a good shout.

Very odd. You're getting money to play football. So what if it's not in your "favourite" position?
Are you criticising a player for having principles? :stunned: Woody knew he was poor when played wide by Powell, that's not his strength and I think everyone knew that except Powell.

If you don't have the positional sense and have tried the position and it seems alien, I think that is a sensible call. I'm pretty sure Wordsworth knows his worth and knows what he can realistically get elsewhere, that is probably going to be the same money at a local club and playing his preferred position. Playing an unfamiliar position knowing you can contribute more somewhere else on the pitch is frustrating, ask Michael Timlin

Yes, that's a good shout.

Are you criticising a player for having principles? :stunned: Woody knew he was poor when played wide by Powell, that's not his strength and I think everyone knew that except Powell.

I am sure pretty Chris Powell was aware that playing Wordsworth out wide was not the best use of his undoubted talents. But managing a professional soccer team involves tough choices. It would seem that CP believed that playing Wordsworth in a central midfield role could involve costs for the team as a whole. CP clearly wants his midfield to play at a fast tempo and have real bite.

If I've got a family to house & feed I'd suck it up.

Southend United are signing Charlton Athletic defender Harry Lennon.

The South London Press understands that the deal is at an advanced stage.

The 23-year-old Romford-born stopper has been the subject of transfer interest from other clubs in past windows but the Shrimpers look set to finally end his stay in SE7.

We revealed last week that Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet is determined to drive down costs as takeover talks continue with the consortium fronted by Australian businessman Andrew Muir.

Ezri Konsa was sold to Brentford last week – with the £3million deal loaded heavily on an up front payment.

Who was that information from? It's quite different to what I've been told. Sounds like a 'fans' excuse to freely give out. You genuinely think a player would turn down a good contract because the manager said he wouldn't play you in a certain position?

Maybe we did and he told us to stick it? I don’t think any player would jump at a “pay as your play deal” if he thinks he can get regular pay elsewhere. Would you want a player in CM half heartily going into challenges in case he got injured and didn’t get paid again for a few months...
It often amazes me on here when people seem to suggest that many of our best players are in some way at fault .....Ferdinand,Wordsworth,McLaughlin,Oxley,Kightly,Mantom ,Cox,Turner (Coker seemed to escape)...when they’re out injured.I know that their feelings when having to sit and watch, would be total frustration.

Seems pretty much done- career seems to have stalled a bit also only 23 I think
Played 20 times in Championship 2-3 years ago and since then played a similar number of times over 2 years in L1 and L2 (incl. loans)?

The Championship experience suggests he has something and of course the new management team will know him well.

So he will make our 6th CB- but 2 CM..
If Anton goes that leaves 5 incl. Kyps so I guess that would be the end point all be it we still don't really know if Kiernan will be back.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/harry-lennon/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/297476

Good age, experience at this level, has scored a few goals, Powell will know him. I think Charlton fans are a pretty bitter bunch (understandable after whats happened) and I certainly don't take any notice of what fans say on Twitter as its normally the negative moaners that inhabit that place.

It often amazes me on here when people seem to suggest that many of our best players are in some way at fault .....Ferdinand,Wordsworth,McLaughlin,Oxley,Kightly,Mantom ,Cox,Turner (Coker seemed to escape)...when they’re out injured.I know that their feelings when having to sit and watch, would be total frustration.

Agreed. Can’t imagine too many professional footballers getting injured happily and then sitting on the bench taking a salary but not getting to play a sport they have dedicated their whole live too

Back