• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2019-20 League One

I genuinely thought that when McNulty came on it was a 50yo cab driver who had won a competition, from what I saw if they lose Norwood then Tranny shouldn't be to difficult to beat.

as for the league in total if Bolton and Bury both start with -12 pts then surely it's a good thing for everyone else in the league.

Was it me, or was that League Two play-off dreadful?
Don't remember either Wycombe or we being that awful.
Was thinking the first man to control the ball on a first touch would be awarded half a goal!
Now, I seriously would like to see McNulty dragged out of the kebab shop long enough for League One attackers to leave him on his capacious rear!
Disagree. I really enjoyed the game; both teams bravely going for it rather than cancelling each other out.

Despite the utter joy and amazement in the 122nd minute, our game as a whole was bloody awful and I called it as soon as I got in the ground and saw our almost cowardly line-up. I’m not saying Wycombe were adventurous either but we largely set up not to lose rather than going for the win.

As for McNulty, while I agree about him looking like a competition winner or a veteran celebrity in a charity game when he was about to enter the pitch, I thought he was excellent - won everything that Newport threw at him and positionally he was really good too.

Great watching Norwood, fantastic player. Pretty sure there will be plenty of teams in the Championship battling to sign him.

Went to the POF yesterday with Tranny friends - they call Wembley 'Prenton Park South' they are there so often. Not a great game but both teams showed plenty of passion. Ref was that one that did us at Walsall and it certainly seems he 'did' Newport too in denying a penalty. As for McNulty, he did win a few things but was so slow he needed someone to cover him and had Newport kept all eleven on the pitch they would have prob exploited that. Turner and McNulty would be an interesting centre half combo

Disagree. I really enjoyed the game; both teams bravely going for it rather than cancelling each other out.

Despite the utter joy and amazement in the 122nd minute, our game as a whole was bloody awful and I called it as soon as I got in the ground and saw our almost cowardly line-up. I’m not saying Wycombe were adventurous either but we largely set up not to lose rather than going for the win.

As for McNulty, while I agree about him looking like a competition winner or a veteran celebrity in a charity game when he was about to enter the pitch, I thought he was excellent - won everything that Newport threw at him and positionally he was really good too.

Great watching Norwood, fantastic player. Pretty sure there will be plenty of teams in the Championship battling to sign him.

My point was about the quality - not the competitive element.
Did we seriously control the ball as badly as Newport and Tranmere? If so, thank God for the result.
Before the Tranmere winner, Matt's header was as close as anybody got to a decent effort on target in 120 minutes.
That's an awful lot of 'bravely going for it' without any reward.
Good luck to McNulty. I hope he plays when we face them. If he's an athlete; then I'm Usain Bolt!

Agree with everyone about McNulty, could struggle in Division One. To be fair though, him and fellow defenders dealt really well with all those long throws into the penalty area.

My point was about the quality - not the competitive element.
Did we seriously control the ball as badly as Newport and Tranmere? If so, thank God for the result.
Before the Tranmere winner, Matt's header was as close as anybody got to a decent effort on target in 120 minutes.
That's an awful lot of 'bravely going for it' without any reward.
Good luck to McNulty. I hope he plays when we face them. If he's an athlete; then I'm Usain Bolt!
Norwood’s volley in the first half was a very decent effort on goal. Brilliant save by the keeper as although it was straight him there was a defender in front so it made his reactions even more spectacular. Equally, although there were a few wild efforts, there were also some brilliant last-ditch blocks to deny goals.

I’d have to watch our game again but I think there quite a few stray passes by both teams.

As for McNulty, five promotions in with four teams! He may have the odd cameo here but I doubt he’ll start games next season in League 1.

So, the dust has settled on our season and we know that we will be playing in League One next season - but who against?

So far we have the following teams confirmed for the league;

Accrington - 526.8 miles RT
AFC Wimbledon - 140.6 miles RT
Blackpool - 543.2 miles RT
Bolton - 520.4 miles RT
Bristol Rovers - 347.8 miles RT
Burton - 332.2 miles RT
Bury - 501.8 miles RT
Coventry 263.2 miles RT
Fleetwood - 552.6 miles RT
Gillingham - 89.2 miles RT
Ipswich - 103.6 miles RT
MK Dons - 168 miles RT
Lincoln - 325 miles RT
Oxford- 209 miles RT
Peterborough - 202.8 miles RT
Rochdale - 488.4 miles RT
Rotherham - 391 miles RT
Shrewsbury - 383.4 miles RT
Southend - 0
Wycombe - 165.8 miles RT

The League One play-offs see the following;

Charlton v Doncaster
Sunderland v Portsmouth

The League Two play-offs see the following;

Mansfield v Newport
Forest Green v Tranmere

Last season just gone the team travelled 5519 miles round trip. Currently with the above teams we'd have to travel 6254.8 before we add in those teams that don't get promoted in League One and do come up from League Two. Their mileages are;

Charlton - 81.8 miles RT
Sunderland - 584 miles RT
Doncaster - 370.2 miles RT
Portsmouth - 238 miles RT

Mansfield - 342.6 miles RT
Newport - 387.2 miles RT
Forest Green - 328.8 miles RT
Tranmere - 501 miles.

So, who do you want staying down and who do you want coming up?

Accrington - 526.8 miles RT
AFC Wimbledon - 140.6 miles RT
Blackpool - 543.2 miles RT
Bolton - 520.4 miles RT
Bristol Rovers - 347.8 miles RT
Burton - 332.2 miles RT
Bury - 501.8 miles RT
Coventry 263.2 miles RT
Doncaster 370.2 miles RT
Fleetwood - 552.6 miles RT
Gillingham - 89.2 miles RT
Ipswich - 103.6 miles RT
MK Dons - 168 miles RT
Lincoln - 325 miles RT
Oxford- 209 miles RT
Peterborough - 202.8 miles RT
Portsmouth - 238 miles RT
Rochdale - 488.4 miles RT
Rotherham - 391 miles RT
Shrewsbury - 383.4 miles RT
Southend - 0
Tranmere - 501 miles RT
Wycombe - 165.8 miles RT

7363.0 miles RT.

Either 7947.0 miles RT if Charlton go up or 7444 if Sunderland do.

Sunderland have a serious problem with sitting back when they go ahead instead of going to for the kill, they've dropped 21 points from winning positions this season.

Hmmm, with only The Gas and the annoying bell ringer closer, for Shrimper following the move to Dorset was maybe not the best of moves. Over 10,000 miles for the away games, factor in Roots Hall trips and the total exceeds 18,000. Maybe an iFollow game or two awaits ...

Accrington – 605.6 miles RT
AFC Wimbledon – 243.6 miles RT
Blackpool – 622.0 miles RT
Bolton – 572.6 miles RT
Bristol Rovers – 183.0 miles RT
Burton – 421.2 miles RT
Bury - 566.8 miles RT
Charlton – 323.4 miles RT
Coventry 348.4 miles RT
Doncaster 512.2 miles RT
Fleetwood – 630.2 miles RT
Gillingham – 332.8 miles RT
Ipswich – 431.0 miles RT
MK Dons – 317.4 miles RT
Lincoln – 486.4 miles RT
Oxford- 228.2 miles RT
Peterborough – 405.6 miles RT
Portsmouth – 145.6 miles RT
Rochdale – 578.8 miles RT
Rotherham – 500.4 miles RT
Shrewsbury – 460.8 miles RT
Southend – 355.6 miles RT x 23 = 8,178.8 miles RT
Sunderland – 726.2
Tranmere – 577.8 miles RT
Wycombe – 257.8 miles RT

10,154.4 miles RT for away, add in 23 home trips and the total is 18,333,2

I suspect a few of you can beat that, any fellow Exiles based in Blighty (I accept the Aussie crew might clock up a few extra metres) care ro have a tot up?

What sort of finances will Sunderland have for next season? Will they still get parachute payments next season or will it be a tiny bit more fair and even for other teams in the league?

Hmmm, with only The Gas and the annoying bell ringer closer, for Shrimper following the move to Dorset was maybe not the best of moves. Over 10,000 miles for the away games, factor in Roots Hall trips and the total exceeds 18,000. Maybe an iFollow game or two awaits ...

Accrington – 605.6 miles RT
AFC Wimbledon – 243.6 miles RT
Blackpool – 622.0 miles RT
Bolton – 572.6 miles RT
Bristol Rovers – 183.0 miles RT
Burton – 421.2 miles RT
Bury - 566.8 miles RT
Charlton – 323.4 miles RT
Coventry 348.4 miles RT
Doncaster 512.2 miles RT
Fleetwood – 630.2 miles RT
Gillingham – 332.8 miles RT
Ipswich – 431.0 miles RT
MK Dons – 317.4 miles RT
Lincoln – 486.4 miles RT
Oxford- 228.2 miles RT
Peterborough – 405.6 miles RT
Portsmouth – 145.6 miles RT
Rochdale – 578.8 miles RT
Rotherham – 500.4 miles RT
Shrewsbury – 460.8 miles RT
Southend – 355.6 miles RT x 23 = 8,178.8 miles RT
Sunderland – 726.2
Tranmere – 577.8 miles RT
Wycombe – 257.8 miles RT

10,154.4 miles RT for away, add in 23 home trips and the total is 18,333,2

I suspect a few of you can beat that, any fellow Exiles based in Blighty (I accept the Aussie crew might clock up a few extra metres) care ro have a tot up?
I feel your pain

What sort of finances will Sunderland have for next season? Will they still get parachute payments next season or will it be a tiny bit more fair and even for other teams in the league?

£15.4m based on this years figures. 20% of equal payment and overseas tv.

Sunderland may have more investment coming in with new investors on board so with the parachute money automatic promotion is a must for them next season

The £15.4 million alone is about 5x our entire wage budget. How do you compete with that?

I genuinely thought that when McNulty came on it was a 50yo cab driver who had won a competition, from what I saw if they lose Norwood then Tranny shouldn't be to difficult to beat.

as for the league in total if Bolton and Bury both start with -12 pts then surely it's a good thing for everyone else in the league.

People have been writing off McNulty for 10 years, and will continue to do so. Great defender, you do wonder how high he could have played if he'd kept himself in shape.

Both Accrington and Burton are good days out., with decent pubs very close.

Fleetwood has a more than decent pub round the corner and a decent club bar where you will be made welcome.

MK Dons and Coventry, despite wonderful grounds, don't have a great deal to do in the local area.

Newport is horrible.

Forest Green. I went last August, glorious sunshine and had a good day. Very friendly, have an away fans drinking area. May not be as much fun if its ****ing down, but its a new ground for almost everyone so I suspect we would fill out their away end / side.

For me, I don't care who comes up and Charlton can win the play offs, coz I don't like going there

Well you got your wish!!!

But you have to feel sorry for sunderland, they where so supportive after the result on the last game of the season...

Back