• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News 2019-20 PL Funding revealed

Good find. It's from 18th December but I'm surprised that they didn't manage to get this PR piece out a couple of weeks earlier when they were under fire for the lack of an EFL bailout.

Looked at a few clubs - from the sample looks like league 1 and 2 clubs are getting around £1m to £1.5m, depending on if they have an academy. Big step up to Championship, around £5m and relegated from Premiership, e.g. W brom £35m

I don't understand how our club is continuing to be an ongoing business when there is no revenue coming in from home games. Could someone please explain how it works!!

I don't understand how our club is continuing to be an ongoing business when there is no revenue coming in from home games. Could someone please explain how it works!!

We've had nearly 2,000 season ticket sales, we'll have sponsorship and EFL money (from TV deals, sponsorship and the like) and the EPL bailout plus I'm curious as to how much revenue we are getting from iFollow.

Usually we'd only earn from home games but with every game being streamed there's an opportunity to earn from 46 league games instead of 23. Obviously at £10 the club isn't earning as much as a ticket (and for families they'd get one ticket instead of multiple tickets) but on the other hand it's never been easier to watch Southend away. Are fans who usually only watch home games now paying for home and away?

I'm not an accountant but in RMs circumstances (owning multiple linked limited company businesses) , id assume the losses of one can be offset against the profits of another, meaning less tax to pay on the one making the profits ?? I
Isn't that what a lot of clubs are used for at this level?

I'd love to know the maths as to how each club gets what. There has got to be some sort of formula or do the EFL just take the fingers out of there arses and stick them up in the air and do a guestimate

We've had nearly 2,000 season ticket sales, we'll have sponsorship and EFL money (from TV deals, sponsorship and the like) and the EPL bailout plus I'm curious as to how much revenue we are getting from iFollow.

Usually we'd only earn from home games but with every game being streamed there's an opportunity to earn from 46 league games instead of 23. Obviously at £10 the club isn't earning as much as a ticket (and for families they'd get one ticket instead of multiple tickets) but on the other hand it's never been easier to watch Southend away. Are fans who usually only watch home games now paying for home and away?
In answer to your last point - for me ‘yes’.
I am now paying £10 for almost all the games rather than just over £20 for the majority of the home games.
I’m probably paying out slightly more than a regular season.

the club don't get the full £10 from iFollow some of it goes in funding the service, if I recall correctly it's something like £7 out of every £10 that goes to the club.

It's better than nothing and there will be people like me that are paying to watch every match home and away that would never normally get the chance to get to a game every week.

I'm still not sure how clubs are surviving though as the salary cap in L2 is £1.5M a year and the core club funding for us was less that £700k at L1 level. we already know the season ticket money is being released in batches and the rest of the club still has to function day to day with pretty much the same costs along with the extra covid preparation and testing costs.

oh and a special mention to Sunderland who received over £15m of funding for their core club yet somehow didn't get promoted

Myself and my son get the home games free as season ticket holders and we both pay to watch away games. Would only normally go to a couple of away games a season but being able to pay £10 to watch away games is a god send. I hope they continue to offer it once things get back to normal

Reactions: fbm
Tangentially I note that Burnley have been taken over by an American investment company today. So another famous old English club that has always been owned by local business men has fallen to the global greed magnet.....

I'd love to know the maths as to how each club gets what. There has got to be some sort of formula or do the EFL just take the fingers out of there arses and stick them up in the air and do a guestimate

I’d say the later based how the EFL usually works

Andyh, the accrington owner, put on twitter how the ifollow sales work out (home and away!) earlier on in the season but cant for the life of me remember what he said!

Our woolly friends actually set this out in September:

Colchester United chairman Robbie Cowling has now explained how the revenue brought in via supporters purchasing iFollow passes is distributed to clubs. Cowling said that at present, home teams keep all revenue from passes bought via their website, as well as the first 500 bought via the away team.

It's worth noting that the away club can receive more money via iFollow than they would if the game was played with normal attendance.

Back