• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2020 squad contracts discussion thread

As has been said there are several linked and uncertain issues.
Who will be manager next season.
What division will we be in.
What budget is available.
How are those injured and under contract likely to perform and are they wanted.
Who wants to get away.

Milligan and Shaughnessy may fancy staying with Sol, as might Macca.
White likely wants a new 2 yr deal.
Mantom seems keen to go and Hyem has already left.
I don't see Sol wanting Barratt or Goodship.

Sol will want another goal keeper and a proper no 9 to challenge Humphreys for the position.

Waste of money signing another keeper.
I think Seaden will overtake Taylor to sit on the bench but if Ox gets injured,you just bring someone in on loan till he’s recovered.

Any news re Echo report on 11 March?

SAM Barratt and Sam Mantom are both close to activating clauses in their contracts at Southend United. Echosport understands Mantom is close to automatically triggering another year in his current deal with the Shrimpers while Barrett is nearing a clause which will see the club having to pay Maidenhead.

More...

SAM Barratt and Sam Mantom are both close to activating clauses in their contracts at Southend United. Echosport understands Mantom is close to automatically triggering another year in his current deal with the Shrimpers while Barrett is nearing a clause which will see the club having to pay Maidenhead.

More...

Not sure about Barratt, but wasn't Mantom in a huge strop because they wouldn't allow him to play that extra match he needed to to trigger the clause?

More...

Seeing as our last match was on the 7th March and we haven't played since that article i'd say no

Problem at the moment that the club have is what devision we are going to be in.Obviously if we are in Div 2 then some players will leave as they wont Div 1 football.It up to the club to build a squad which will compete in what ever league that is frankly a good opportunity to get rid of the dead wood and bring in some fresh blood the club cant afford another poor year.So the like of Mantom and Milligan are likely to go

Summer of Sam.

Just for once, the current situation puts all Clubs in a very strong bargaining position, when it comes to player contracts. Should salary caps be introduced, then out of contract players will not be able to dictate terms.

Just for once, the current situation puts all Clubs in a very strong bargaining position, when it comes to player contracts. Should salary caps be introduced, then out of contract players will not be able to dictate terms.

Good it’s about time!

Salary caps in League 2 and League one are a must, and I would hope the Championship at some stage. Would make things much more even if every club could only spend a certain amount on wages. Although I am sure there are going to be ways around this as always.

One good thing to come out of this mess is that football has had to have a little look at itself.

Salary caps in League 2 and League one are a must, and I would hope the Championship at some stage. Would make things much more even if every club could only spend a certain amount on wages. Although I am sure there are going to be ways around this as always.

One good thing to come out of this mess is that football has had to have a little look at itself.
Definitely they should plus they need to modify or scrap the monies they receive when they get relegated from the premiership

Goodbye to Mantom and Hyam and keep Milligan

Many clubs/owners will have big decisions to make. Maybe a lot of them won't sign anyone yet. There'll be plenty of players out of contract and with the current crisis, many of those players will consider themselves very lucky to get any kind of contract. They certainly won't be getting anywhere near the deal they'd like. Lots of the players will have to assess whether a contract with stability, but for less money, is worth accepting.

As others have said, salary caps will most probably be in place. Therefore, it makes no sense entering into negotiations with any current players of ours because we don't know what state the footballing world will be in further down the line. Say you want to keep Macca and he is currently on 2k a week and you offer him 1.5k a week now. Well if a cap is put in place further down the line, you've committed to paying that contract and it's blown a big part of your budget. At the risk of losing players, I think clubs (specifically ours) will wait.

I think a lot of sides will go down the youth route for next season anyway (which looks like what we are doing). Then they'll add senior pro's later on if the budget and situation allows it to.

In some ways I'm in favour. Clubs like Salford paying 4k a week to players in League 2 is scandalous. And we wonder why players look like they're only interested in money!

I would keep these lots on new deals.

John White
Joe Shaughnessy
Stephen McLaughlin
Sam Barratt
Eren Kinali

I can't see room for both White and Shaughnessy. Doubly so in the current economic climate.

There's already 3 centre-halves on the books on first team wages (new signing Vassell, captain Dieng and Lennon). Plus you've got Kyprianou and Miles Mitchell-Nelson pushing for first team appearances as well.

Unless you're planning on playing 5 at the back - and I don't think that's a formation which suits either - there's arguably not room for either of them, let alone both.

MATT Rush has gone from scoring goals to achieving them after being handed his first professional contract at Southend United.

More...

Back