• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours 2022-23 National League Salary Cap

Y
Hasn't that always been the way with football and most other sports.

The great thing about footy is the smaller team can still beat Man U in a cup game.
Yes agree but with a salary cap the advantage of a better supported team would be to encourage the better players that would want to play for better supported teams. You would never be able to create a completely level playing field but the salary cap would be a move to come close to it

Y

Yes agree but with a salary cap the advantage of a better supported team would be to encourage the better players that would want to play for better supported teams. You would never be able to create a completely level playing field but the salary cap would be a move to come close to it

It could have the opposite effect. Why move to expensive Southend when I can earn the same playing part time at small northern club.

I agree players at all levels earn far to much which is the real reason clubs get in trouble. A pro rata formula would be better

One thing I would have is rules on away prices. Open ended 3 stepped terrace with portaloos and shockingly stocked and staffed kiosks....Would be zero charge and go up from there to a max of £20

Wow If it's 900k we may well avoid an embargo this year as we must be pulling in more than that revenue wise

It could have the opposite effect. Why move to expensive Southend when I can earn the same playing part time at small northern club.

I agree players at all levels earn far to much which is the real reason clubs get in trouble. A pro rata formula would be better

One thing I would have is rules on away prices. Open ended 3 stepped terrace with portaloos and shockingly stocked and staffed kiosks....Would be zero charge and go up from there to a max of £20
So how much would be fair to charge away fans at RH?

So how much would be fair to charge away fans at RH?
I think if away supporters want to come to the HOLY GRAIL to watch my beloved SUFC they should have to buy a SUFC season ticket .
Seriuosly though the same as a SUFC supporter pays

Away fans are generally treated poorly. Even the team announcement is somewhat low key along with inferior facilities. Why keep away supporters back after a game? Less of them and coaches take most immediately after the game ends anyway.

Don't forget a cap is the MAXIMUM that can be used to pay players salaries and bonuses. Smaller clubs with less revenue from ticket sales don't have to spend up to the cap but just what they can afford within their income.

Thus better supported clubs can afford to pay more and closer to the cap and this rewards clubs that are better supported.

Therefore I believe the cap should be higher than £900k

What is included in the salary cap, is it just the wage or does it include bonuses and signing n fees due under the contract terms and conditions.

My assumption is that any agency fees are not included

it was mentioned somewhere eon the forum that we had a 1.4 million budget this season, if thats the case is that for fees and salaries, bonuses and signing fees etc?

just curious

What is included in the salary cap, is it just the wage or does it include bonuses and signing n fees due under the contract terms and conditions.

My assumption is that any agency fees are not included

it was mentioned somewhere eon the forum that we had a 1.4 million budget this season, if thats the case is that for fees and salaries, bonuses and signing fees etc?

just curious
Refer to #4 above

Refer to #4 above
Thanks, therefore it isn’t that much really and If everyone abides levels the field. I say not that much as I am sure we were above those things this year, or that’s what I am sure i read on here, I am olad memory going so maybe wrong.

i do however remember the PFA getting the football leagues salary cap rules suspended or kicked out as they said it was not legal or somethino. However I guess the PFA are not bothered with the national league.

Don't forget a cap is the MAXIMUM that can be used to pay players salaries and bonuses. Smaller clubs with less revenue from ticket sales don't have to spend up to the cap but just what they can afford within their income.

Thus better supported clubs can afford to pay more and closer to the cap and this rewards clubs that are better supported.

Therefore I believe the cap should be higher than £900k
I think it was £1.4m in L2 and frankly given the standard and attendances in NL it should be very different.

Should be fair play based- salaries as % of turnover with clear thought going into what is counted as turnover and what is not. Wage caps are simply lazy and as I said previously levelling down

We probably won't hear about the result of the vote until July 1st. I wonder if this will affect club's potential transfer activity between now and then.

Just sitting here wondering if Wrexham and Chesterfield may have issues hitting the NL Salary Cap. There was a rumour that Wrexhams salary this year was in excess of 1.7 million. Both they and Chesterfield spent big so just wondering if they may have issues next season

Pretty sure that Clubs over the Salary Cap will not be forced to sell players. Would think they would be prevented from bringing any new players in until the Cap was met. Only an opinion, not based on fact.

Pretty sure that Clubs over the Salary Cap will not be forced to sell players. Would think they would be prevented from bringing any new players in until the Cap was met. Only an opinion, not based on fact.
Agree but thpen makes a mockery if those on “legacy” contracts means you could be 2 times over the limit

Just sitting here wondering if Wrexham and Chesterfield may have issues hitting the NL Salary Cap. There was a rumour that Wrexhams salary this year was in excess of 1.7 million. Both they and Chesterfield spent big so just wondering if they may have issues next season
I think in the EFL players already contracted we’re counted at the average wage assumed by the cap until their contract expired or was renewed. So the clubs effectively move into full compliance with the cap over a year or two. Otherwise clubs said they would have to cancel players contracts to comply with the cap which they couldn’t legally do and the PFA naturally in particular said was a non starter.

They (NL) might look differently at players already on long term contracts from last year (where little can be done) and players being signed now in the knowledge the cap is potentially coming (else you’d be rushing to get any big signings done before the cap is agreed).

In any event I think bigger spending clubs effectively phase in the cap as they adjust their playing staff / wage structure in line with the above?

Probably right, so he incentive was to massively over spend to a degree this season and hope it helps either this or the follow g seasons where you can take your time to align

Back