• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours 2022-23 National League Salary Cap

Ozzer

Coach⭐⭐
National League Clubs voted last year to introduce a salary cap from season 2022/23. It was announced that a proposal would be put before the clubs in the 2022 EGM. Figure suggested last year was £900,000 for each NL club.

Does anyone know whether the EGM has been held and a salary cap figure has been agreed?

Interesting, would that apply to playing staff only?

If so, based on the desired first team squad size of 25, that would mean players earning an average of 36k.

Interesting, would that apply to playing staff only?

If so, based on the desired first team squad size of 25, that would mean players earning an average of 36k.
Looking at previous Twitter posts from a football journalist it applies only to playing staff and includes salaries, tax, bonuses and any other associated costs.

National League Clubs voted last year to introduce a salary cap from season 2022/23. It was announced that a proposal would be put before the clubs in the 2022 EGM. Figure suggested last year was £900,000 for each NL club.

Does anyone know whether the EGM has been held and a salary cap figure has been agreed?
The meeting will be in June (early-ish I would think, once all 24 NL teams are confirmed). The £900k figure wasn’t referenced in last year’s AGM minutes but was reported by a source - as such it could well be changed. If Wrexham don’t go up, I can’t see them voting for it!

Anyone know if the vote needs to be unanimous or will a simple majority do?

I think there needs to be a cap but 900k seems a tad low. I can only see that figure being a retrograde step in terms of the ability we get to see in the NL. I don't like to see bank-rolled success, especially by clubs that don't have the fan base/ revenues to justify it, but, clubs in the NL need to demonstrate the ability to perform at higher levels and that means having the dosh, the infrastructure and sustainable business model to do so.

If they can't demonstrate their ability to perform higher then they are not proving sustainability. Why have clubs get a a good season knowing it will lead to bigger problems for them later on, relegation and ensuing difficulties. It's like we set minnows up to fail.

The issues start lower down the pyramid and clubs coming into the NL should have to prove their worth commercially. No club should be promoted to the NL that cannot be competitive or they just make up the numbers. Same for all leagues. We give in to fans dreams at the expense of business sense. It's all so romantic for the minnows but dilutes the league's.

Have a wage cap, make it sensible and make football businesses run properly.

I think there needs to be a cap but 900k seems a tad low. I can only see that figure being a retrograde step in terms of the ability we get to see in the NL. I don't like to see bank-rolled success, especially by clubs that don't have the fan base/ revenues to justify it, but, clubs in the NL need to demonstrate the ability to perform at higher levels and that means having the dosh, the infrastructure and sustainable business model to do so.

If they can't demonstrate their ability to perform higher then they are not proving sustainability. Why have clubs get a a good season knowing it will lead to bigger problems for them later on, relegation and ensuing difficulties. It's like we set minnows up to fail.

The issues start lower down the pyramid and clubs coming into the NL should have to prove their worth commercially. No club should be promoted to the NL that cannot be competitive or they just make up the numbers. Same for all leagues. We give in to fans dreams at the expense of business sense. It's all so romantic for the minnows but dilutes the league's.

Have a wage cap, make it sensible and make football businesses run properly.
Does it dilute the league more to have teams kept down for non-footballing reasons?

Does it dilute the league more to have teams kept down for non-footballing reasons?
Historically football has been judged on what happens on the pitch. That's why we have so many clubs, both league and non-league, in financial turmoil. All football clubs must adopt a sustainable business model. It's as if we look at clubs as different to anything else in the business world. Southend is no exception. We should not have club employees, playing and non-playing, unpaid or released, just because the owner has spent unwisely or chased unsustainable dreams. If we had a shiny new stadium when we were in the Championship we may have avoided all the ensuing problems. Infrastructure, fan base and revenue streams must be in place and the 'wing and a prayer' mentality needs to go.

Aim is to bring about greater parity between clubs apparently
We get 3x the attendances of some clubs, how could it be fair that we don’t benefit from that increased support and have the same salary cap? This where some sort of fair play proposal is far better…else it’s just levelling down. Parity is not the same as fair.

Ron has always voted against caps btw?

We get 3x the attendances of some clubs, how could it be fair that we don’t benefit from that increased support and have the same salary cap? This where some sort of fair play proposal is far better…else it’s just levelling down. Parity is not the same as fair.

Ron has always voted against caps btw?
I agree with this, I also think rich benefactors should be able to fund clubs as long as they don't fund the club through loans or acrue debt doing so.

But that's never going to happen

Any ongoing contracts will be allowed to continue at the existing wage
Aye, there's the rub.
One would have to check the contracts, but there must be a fair few on two-year deals at Wrexham, who would use up an awful lot of a £900k cap.
Maybe Notts in the same sort of bracket?
So, the cap is going to have to be a few seasons in before that famous level playing field hoves into view.

I agree with this, I also think rich benefactors should be able to fund clubs as long as they don't fund the club through loans or acrue debt doing so.

But that's never going to happen
But then surely this would just mean clubs with the biggest support would have the best chances which I don’t agree with

But then surely this would just mean clubs with the biggest support would have the best chances which I don’t agree with

Hasn't that always been the way with football and most other sports.

The great thing about footy is the smaller team can still beat Man U in a cup game.

Hopefully this will prevent wide boy types from bankrolling clubs into the Football League that have no business being there.
Will prevent wide boy types relegating clubs to the NL when they have no business being there.

Back