• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2022-23 Southend United Retained / Released List

Your logic was that he was from a ‘rival’ team rather than the heart condition that materialised. A bit of a leap to take credit for your excellent foresight
Yeah and he was amazing wasn't he before that issue surfaced, so much so he's now released. Will never forget him tripping up to let Dagenham score in October, cheers Abu now shut the door on your way out

Yeah and he was amazing wasn't he before that issue surfaced, so much so he's now released. Will never forget him tripping up to let Dagenham score in October, cheers Abu now shut the door on your way out
I knew Stevie Gerrard really hated Liverpool deep down !!!

The bloke could be very unwell given the issues identified during the season. Show a bit of respect.

Last edited:
The ground for a start.

I used to think Roots Hall somewhat run down. Hell! It looked old when it was built, lol!
But compared to some we face again, and with a couple of new ones thrown in - it's Camp Nou!

The budget.
I'm not saying it's been used well in the past, but I know for a fact the likes of Woking can only dream what will be available to us.

The fanbase.
Dover will miss those 1,800, eh? To get 800 to Eastleigh on a Tuesday night, when theirs, God bless 'em, could have got in the back of a builder's van, and an average 5k plus at home - even when playing cack says a lot about us.

The potential.
That 5k plus would easily hit around 7,000 if we were in the play-off positions next season. How many in the NL can say the same? Notts, Wrexham, probably, and one of those is likely to go up.

I'm sorry but none of those points is a reason we "deserve" to be in the EFL. They could be thought of as reasons why we perhaps should be in the EFL but we are exactly where we deserve to be.

Football is happily not structured, other than on the basis of meeting minimum ground grading standards, on ground quality (of which ours is currently questionable anyway), on the amount of budget available to be spent/wasted nor by the number of people coming to watch. It is structured on the basis of the clubs' performances on the pitch.

Apologies if this conflicts with your feeling of entitlement but on this basis of performances/results we deserve to be a National League club, albeit one of the better supported, bigger spending ones and as I said I look forward to when we do deserve to be back in the Football League.

I'm sorry but none of those points is a reason we "deserve" to be in the EFL. They could be thought of as reasons why we perhaps should be in the EFL but we are exactly where we deserve to be.

Football is happily not structured, other than on the basis of meeting minimum ground grading standards, on ground quality (of which ours is currently questionable anyway), on the amount of budget available to be spent/wasted nor by the number of people coming to watch. It is structured on the basis of the clubs' performances on the pitch.

Apologies if this conflicts with your feeling of entitlement but on this basis of performances/results we deserve to be a National League club, albeit one of the better supported, bigger spending ones and as I said I look forward to when we do deserve to be back in the Football League.
At the risk of a semantics debate, we deserve to be in the NL as a result of past performances. Oh, and the minor detail of being relegated to League Two by committee.

But the fans, the ground, and the potential deserve better. And better, is the EFL.

At the risk of a semantics debate, we deserve to be in the NL as a result of past performances. Oh, and the minor detail of being relegated to League Two by committee.

But the fans, the ground, and the potential deserve better. And better, is the EFL.
You could say that about quite a few teams down here. Commentators on last night’s game were saying that Notts Co vs Grimsby would’ve been a tier 2 fixture not long ago.. and both teams should be in a higher division. Also that if they got promotion to L2 it would give them impetus to rise and progress quickly. The issue is getting out of this bugger of a league. There’s 1 automatic place up for grabs and the play offs are a lottery.

We will need to get some much better, stronger and fitter players in and have a bloody good pre season to even get a sniff of any hope of promotion. I do have faith, there’s players out there.

Indeed, and if instead of saying "This is a football club that deserves to be back in the EFL.", you had said the fans deserve better, I would not have had much of an issue with that even though we'd have to leapfrog a number of teams with even bigger crowds to get there.
It is not semantics, it is saying something completely different.

As for being relegated by committee, I thought we were relegated by being 16 points adrift when the League finished after playing over three quarters of the matches, having lost 6 of the last 7 matches played. I do think some supporters lack objectivity when it comes to their own club.

Indeed, and if instead of saying "This is a football club that deserves to be back in the EFL.", you had said the fans deserve better, I would not have had much of an issue with that even though we'd have to leapfrog a number of teams with even bigger crowds to get there.
It is not semantics, it is saying something completely different.

As for being relegated by committee, I thought we were relegated by being 16 points adrift when the League finished after playing over three quarters of the matches, having lost 6 of the last 7 matches played. I do think some supporters lack objectivity when it comes to their own club.
@Leigh_Seasider referenced the NL play-off between Notts and Grimsby.
How much on a Mariners win in the 96th minute losing 1-0 with 20 seconds to play?
I'm not saying we would have escaped the drop to League Two; I am saying we'll never know because a committee relegated us.
The League was 'finished' all right; the rest of the fixtures were cancelled.

One could add that other sides like Wrexham and Notts with their fanbase also deserve better. That doesn't exclude us being part of the deserving.
While here, I congratulate the likes of Stevenage and Barrow for surviving as they do on small crowds and small budget.
As for Accy Stanley, John Coleman should be EFL manager of the season three times over!

And now you two gentlemen have finished, this thread can continue discussing the retained and released list for Southend United. Thanks awfully chaps.

Cameron Brown, Demaray Anyadike, Bobby Unwin and Tayo Adedoja took part in Game One of the League Football Education Southern Assessment Trials at Aldershot Town FC this afternoon:

Anyadike scored one of the goals for the 'Greens' against the 'Whites' in a 3-0 win:
Anyadike listed as Grimsby?

Tayo Adedoja playing - does that mean he hasn’t been given a third year? ?

Um...no idea what I'm looking at here!
Looks like trial games for players (released?) from professional academies. The fact a few of them are from us would suggest they might not be with us next season.

Do we send scouts to these events?

Looks like trial games for players (released?) from professional academies. The fact a few of them are from us would suggest they might not be with us next season.

Do we send scouts to these events?
Ah right! Thanks for the clarification :)

Back