• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question 2022-23 Squad, Formation and Tactics. How do you see us lining up?

You don’t rate Taylor then ! 😂
I was just thinking the same thing! He’s more experienced than Miley and Husin and would suggest he’s above them in the pecking order - possibly even this year’s captain.

Ralph starts all day long ahead of Clifford as either a wingback in a 5 or a left back in a 4. For me, apart from Arnold, that's the position that isn't even up for debate.

You'd assume that if we were to play one number 9 and two players supporting, one of the two will definitely be Mooney. I would personally have Bridge on the other side. The number 9 would be Cardwell but seeing as he is injured, it will have to be either a new signing or Dalby. Murphy can't be considered yet until we know how fit he is.

As it stands for me when the current crop are fit:

3-4-3

Arnie

Hobson Lomas Kensdale

Morris Cav Husin Ralph

Mooney Cardwell Bridge

At this stage, I still feel Powell has to prove he is better than just a place on the bench. Murphy needs to prove his fitness and whilst I like Dalby a lot, I still think he is a little abject in front of goal and doesn't win enough battles in the air.

If we have a tough game, I could see us having Cav and Taylor in the middle to make us compact, especially in away games. Husin will be used more at home when we need to break teams down.

Who knows what Kev and co have planned. We need to remember that they had to make do and grind out results to keep us up. They may change things entirely. Let's see!

None of the five new signings, nor any incoming loans are here to just make the squad or as back up.
There is real competition for places with few other than Steeeeeeeve straight into the line up.
I believe we will want to set up as a 3 4 3 or a 3 4 1 2, with the 1 being a wide, pace and "space runner" player who can work and swap flanks.
The stats for running will be interesting with big meters run by all outfield men.

I also believe it will be variations of 343 or 352

The 442 looks pretty good. Brought up on this with Webb and Fry. Worst performances I've seen have always been 352. Perhaps biased and blinkered however !

I'm still a fan of the 433 how Liverpool play (and how we used to play with Steve thompson). I think we have the right players and this just feels more balanced to me.for attack ( we need more goals) and defence

If we did this....

Arnold
Morris kensdale lomas Ralph
Taylor
Miley Husin
Mooney cardwell bridge

Ndi, Powell, hobson, Murphy, Demi

This would need a bit more back up / competiton in midfield and maybe one more right sided/ speedy attacker

I also believe it will be variations of 343 or 352

The 442 looks pretty good. Brought up on this with Webb and Fry. Worst performances I've seen have always been 352. Perhaps biased and blinkered however !

I'm still a fan of the 433 how Liverpool play (and how we used to play with Steve thompson). I think we have the right players and this just feels more balanced to me.for attack ( we need more goals) and defence

If we did this....

Arnold
Morris kensdale lomas Ralph
Taylor
Miley Husin
Mooney cardwell bridge

Ndi, Powell, hobson, Murphy, Demi

This would need a bit more back up / competiton in midfield and maybe one more right sided/ speedy attacker
Yep. Big fan of 4-3-3.

Obviously for it to work effectively we need our equivalent of Trent & Robbo if using the Liverpool example. Hopefully that will be Gus & Ralph. With one of Taylor/Miley being the holding CDM type (Fabinho) when Gus or Ralphy go on a forward run and Husin offering the front three support in central attacking areas.

High work rate and winning the ball high up the pitch is also key, waiting for those trigger moments to press and attack at speed and with numbers. That obviously requires exceptional fitness particularly from the midfielders (10-11km+ of running per game) and outstanding communication & organisation as well. Let's hope a proper summer can see our players regularly hitting those running numbers.

I'd love to see us play front foot attacking football and use the wing backs more effectively. That's been massively lacking for years. I mean how many crosses have we put into the box in recent seasons that has led to goals?....not many I would suggest. Jack Bridge for me has been the only real threat out wide (and he's done very well)

I also agree that we need more competition in CM (I'd personally love an absolute unit of a man and/or someone that can pick a forward pass from central areas) and another out and out striker with pace. Particularly if there's question marks over Murphy & Cards availability at the start of the campaign. Hopefully that's something the amigo's are looking at.

Hopefully we will see many a bombing run from Gus down that right flank and him delivering some great crosses into a box packed out with good numbers in blue shirts next season. A brand of football that get's us excited, vocal and wanting more. It's been missing for many a year. Bring on the heavy metal Maher ball.

Code:
     Dalby        Cardwell         Mooney
    Bridge         Murphy          Powell
                  [loanee]

[signing]      Taylor        Husin        Big Gus
 Clifford      Miley         Wood        Demetriou
              [loanee]      Benton

Ralph        Lomas           Kensdale
    [loanee]       Davis           Hobson

Arnold
                 Andeng-Ndi

I think we're still at least one perm signing off (either LWB if Ralph is LCB, or LCB if Ralph is LWB) and then could add a couple more, one creative midfielder and potentially someone for the forward line (either down the middle or out wide).

Back