• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question 2022-23 Squad, Formation and Tactics. How do you see us lining up?

fredheim_holm

Where art thou Tes
How do we see us lining up this year? To me it looks something like this, which gives us a squad of 22 (24 if you include Benton & Davis, who are likely to be loaned out), I think the management mentioned a squad of 25, so potential for a few more to be added, likely those who can play more than one position.

What does your squad for this year look like?
Code:
    Dalby        Cardwell         Mooney
   Bridge         Murphy          Powell

[signing]    [signing]       Husin       [signing]
 Clifford      Miley         Wood        Demetriou       
                           (Benton)                                   

Ralph       [signing]        Kensdale
   [signing]     [loanee]          Hobson    
                  (Davis)

Arnold
                Andeng-Ndi
I couldn't see a good fit for this post so started a new thread, but feel free to merge it if you find a better home for it mods.

It will be really interesting to see if Ralph was played in the back 3 because we had no one else or if that is deemed his best position. It will also depend if Maher deems it necessary for a left footer to play on the left side of the three.

I would much rather Ralph at LWB over Clifford any day. Therefore, I would say that the back 3 is more like this at the moment:

Kensdale (new signing) Hobson

Or

(new) (new) Kensdale/Hobson

A big, dominant CB is obviously needed for next season. Where the other defenders fit in around that is up in the air.

It will be really interesting to see if Ralph was played in the back 3 because we had no one else or if that is deemed his best position. It will also depend if Maher deems it necessary for a left footer to play on the left side of the three.

I would much rather Ralph at LWB over Clifford any day. Therefore, I would say that the back 3 is more like this at the moment:

Kensdale (new signing) Hobson

Or

(new) (new) Kensdale/Hobson

A big, dominant CB is obviously needed for next season. Where the other defenders fit in around that is up in the air.
Think it was just to get a left-footer in there really. Gubbins as a left-footer slotted into that left hand side of the three when he joined on loan. It makes us more balanced and makes for a more confident player in the position because he knows he'll be receiving the ball on his stronger side.

How do we see us lining up this year? To me it looks something like this, which gives us a squad of 22 (24 if you include Benton & Davis, who are likely to be loaned out), I think the management mentioned a squad of 25, so potential for a few more to be added, likely those who can play more than one position.

Code:

(Benton)                                   

(Davis)

Arnold
                Andeng-Ndi
I couldn't see a good fit for this post so started a new thread, but feel free to merge it if you find a better home for it mods.
When you look at that we are particularly weak at RB/RWB and CB. A couple of strong signings (not just squad fillers) in those areas and we’re starting to look the real thing.

I feel Ralph started at LCB due to the need to play three at the back and he was there because he was left footed and we were lacking in options. He stayed there because he was performing well. Ralph and Clifford as our left wing back options will be good, but I feel that we need someone who can play there if needed but can also play other positions. Maybe another Ralph type who can play in a back three or wing back.

Some have been mentioning that we are looking for a striker. We have two target men (Cardwell & Dalby), two dribbling types (Mooney & Powell) and a poacher (Murphy). We probably need a poacher type who also has a bit of pace (Dennis replacement). Someone like Josh Umerah would be ideal. Over 6 foot tall, strong and quick, scored 17 goals in an average Wealdstone team and the most headed goals in the league. Still got another year on his contract and probably getting interest from higher up.

Wish list:
LCB
LCB/LWB
CB (x2)
RWB
CM (box-to-box)
CM/AM (creative player)
ST (poacher with pace)

Personally I feel we need another solid ball playing centre back, a creative midfielder to occupy the space in the hole and a wing back who can deliver crosses

Perhaps a clinical striker too

Agree another forward would be good to seal our options up top, but with the service now coming into the box compared with how we started last season, Rhys Murphy could have a field day next season if he stays fit.......and vertical.

Agreed with most of the above.

I was just thinking about who should be captain next season, as Demetriou isn’t likely to play enough games IMO, and most of the other senior players have left.

I think we need a solid leader preferably at centre back, but the (excellent) targets mentioned might not have enough experience.

Super Steve Arnold in goal is probably our most senior contracted player who is likely to be a regular starter. Murphy too but I‘m not sure whether he’s seen as one of the first names on the teamsheet… The only issue with Steve Arnold is that I’m not personally a huge fan of goalies as captains, as they can’t get around the pitch to offer leadership or a wise word in key moments to teammates or the ref.

Tom Whelan, of the rumoured targets mentioned, seems like a potential captain but I really don’t think there’s much in those rumours unfortunately.

Anyone any thoughts on next year’s captain?

Agreed with most of the above.

I was just thinking about who should be captain next season, as Demetriou isn’t likely to play enough games IMO, and most of the other senior players have left.

I think we need a solid leader preferably at centre back, but the (excellent) targets mentioned might not have enough experience.

Super Steve Arnold in goal is probably our most senior contracted player who is likely to be a regular starter. Murphy too but I‘m not sure whether he’s seen as one of the first names on the teamsheet… The only issue with Steve Arnold is that I’m not personally a huge fan of goalies as captains, as they can’t get around the pitch to offer leadership or a wise word in key moments to teammates or the ref.

Tom Whelan, of the rumoured targets mentioned, seems like a potential captain but I really don’t think there’s much in those rumours unfortunately.

Anyone any thoughts on next year’s captain?
Cav?

A couple of strong defenders, definetly like to see Ralph back in midfield and a holding central midfielder and leader type to keep Miley fighting for his place.

Code:

(Benton)                                  

(Davis)

Arnold
                Andeng-Ndi
Gotta be brutally honest. We still need 4 or 5 superior players to challenge for promotion in my opinion.

Obviously still between 4 and 6 players to sign plus possibly a couple of decent quality loans through the season imo the formation really depends on the oppositions strengths and weaknesses. 343 probably more important to all press and attack as a team and defend from the front etc
One of last seasons frustrations was the late use of subs and usually in desperation without a plan to change the game much if at all..
So with a stronger squad I'd definitely like to see a more proactive use of impact subs around the 60 minute mark ! Really want to see the blues pressing then bring on the fresh legs and go again like in some very good first halves in the run! .
Are there any proposals to increase the number of subs ?

Back