• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
This BBC blog makes Convictland favourites to host the 2022.

I just can't see it myself.

1. Financially - A US world cup is that much more lucrative than an Australian one. 1994 was the most profitable World Cup ever. The historical strength of the dollar, the size of the US stadiums, the size of the US market, the potential for growth in the US - all dwarf that of Australia. The argument that hosting it in the US will provide a windfall that can be invested into smaller nations will be an attractive one to many nations' footballing authorities.
2. Geographically - Australia is isolated. It's also vast. It takes a long time to travel to and around which will limit tourism potential. It also lacks natural allies in the voting - the Asian countries will presumably back South Korea or Japan.
3. Venues - Australia basically has 5 cities, the rest just aren't big enough to be World Cup venues. Then the stadiums are all the wrong shape. The MCG would be a rubbish football ground.
4. Time differences - Australia is in awful timezone for the influential European and American markets. This will limit the TV revenue because broadcasters just aren't going to pay top dollar for events on at times when people can't watch them.

Agree with that, I can't see FIFA favouring Australia over the US... After all, I'm sure Blatter's nephew still has all those lucrative television contracts from the last time it hosted the tournament. You know, the ones where all the money went missing and $1m found its way into a FIFA official's bank account unannounced.

A World Cup in Oz would be awful it was bad enough when they held it in South Korea (time difference wise I mean).

Back