• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

25 man squad blunder

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Is this a blunder by the Prem League:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6319897,00.html

So for example:

Woodgate doesnt make the Yid 25 man squad so is unable to play any games this season. At the end of the season he can cancel his contract and go back to say Newcastle, who can sign him for nothing as he doesnt have a contract meaning Spurs miss out on any transfer fee.

No, I actually support the 25-Man squad limit... It stops clubs like Citeh from harbouring a squad of 30 internationals, leaving their English youths to fester playing meaningless, reserve football. If squad players aren't included, they can go out on loan like Bellamy if they wish, leaving a greater base of players playing competitive football.

No, I actually support the 25-Man squad limit... It stops clubs like Citeh from harbouring a squad of 30 internationals, leaving their English youths to fester playing meaningless, reserve football. If squad players aren't included, they can go out on loan like Bellamy if they wish, leaving a greater base of players playing competitive football.
Me too but according to rule 15 they will be free to terminate the contract.

Is this a blunder by the Prem League:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6319897,00.html

So for example:

Woodgate doesnt make the Yid 25 man squad so is unable to play any games this season. At the end of the season he can cancel his contract and go back to say Newcastle, who can sign him for nothing as he doesnt have a contract meaning Spurs miss out on any transfer fee.

According to Football Manager during the January window you register your squad again so Woodgate would get to play if Spurs wanted to register him ;)

I beleieve the rules are tho, that aside from the 25 squad, you can also use unlimited youth team players also?

Why is this a blunder?

Because if you dont pick a player in your squad the whole season, under rule 15 as described in the Sky Sports article, he can cancel his contract as he hasnt played 10% of competitive matches. Which could mean a club will not be able to get a fee for him.

Because if you dont pick a player in your squad the whole season, under rule 15 as described in the Sky Sports article, he can cancel his contract as he hasnt played 10% of competitive matches. Which could mean a club will not be able to get a fee for him.

In my opinion, that serves you right... If you're running around accumulating in excess of 25 senior squad players, then there's something inherently wrong with your football club.

The only plausible negative of this would be the likelihood of increased wages as squads can only cater for 25 senior squad members and the influx of free transfers would lead to better bargaining positions for players.

maybe it will reduce the amount of ridiculous transfer fees and uber contracts?

I haven't seen the details, only what is in that Sky Sports article but the principle of it seems fair enough to me.

Clubs shouldn't be able to stockpile players and then not play them. It only seems right to me that in that circumstance players should have the right to buy out their contracts.

I haven't seen the details, only what is in that Sky Sports article but the principle of it seems fair enough to me.

Clubs shouldn't be able to stockpile players and then not play them. It only seems right to me that in that circumstance players should have the right to buy out their contracts.

Yes I agree but Wengers points is did the Prem league think this through when tey bought the squad rule in?

In my opinion, that serves you right... If you're running around accumulating in excess of 25 senior squad players, then there's something inherently wrong with your football club.

The only plausible negative of this would be the likelihood of increased wages as squads can only cater for 25 senior squad members and the influx of free transfers would lead to better bargaining positions for players.

Though equally might it have the opposite effect? Those players who are not in the 25 man squad will be looking anywhere for first team football and with limited spaces and an excess of players, players may have to be willing to take a pay cut for first team football?

Though equally might it have the opposite effect? Those players who are not in the 25 man squad will be looking anywhere for first team football and with limited spaces and an excess of players, players may have to be willing to take a pay cut for first team football?

So bloated with greed is the Premier League that I dare there'll be more than enough "footballers" happy to be paid £xx,000 per week to train for 2 hours a day. It should be hugely beneficial to lower leagues, though, with the quality filtering backwards. Prem players will join Championship squads, with Championship players joining League One squads and so on, with more clubs than ever making use of the loan market.

I can see actually see it turning into something akin to the Italian joint-ownership situation, with Premier League clubs part-owning players on the proviso that they play regular football at another club and, should he show signs of class, he can be called-up.

Back