• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Still my greatest day following SUFC even though Wembley last season runs it close. The game itself was not the best but after going down to ten men the pure relief and unbridled joy of clinching promotion to the second tier for the first time was just so special. The celebrations after the game in the ground then at various motorway service stations before finishing for several hours at the Railway with Pat Scully and Peter Butler finished off an almost perfect day.

Just had to have another look on YouTube. Real tears of joy that day and wonderful memories. Happy days.

I was one of the 50,000 away fans :smile:

Wow 25 years ago but I can still remember it vividly. I'll say it once again. Wrote my car off on the way to Gigg Lane but still got to the game after finding the coaches at an M6 service station.

I was one of the 50,000 away fans :smile:

Wow 25 years ago but I can still remember it vividly. I'll say it once again. Wrote my car off on the way to Gigg Lane but still got to the game after finding the coaches at an M6 service station.

I didn't even bother going. My degree finals started the Monday afterwards and I had to study. That said, I didn't actually do any studying that day anyway, I was too nervous.

I was there it was so emotional at the final whistle. Just seemed hard to believe that for the 1st time in the clubs history we would be playing in the 2nd Division. To think we actually lasted 6 seasons in the 2nd Division. That in itself was a remarkable achievement

What everyone else said, above.

I think, IIRC, we'd just heard that Bolton had scored at Swansea and the pressure was on.

I was right behind Benji's shot and it seemed an age to roll into the corner. I can still picture it now, like it was yesterday. Bertie Angle running right up to the fence and punching the air, right in front of us!

As soon as it hit the back of the net, the whole end just went absolutely bonkers.

Still the greatest moment ever, for me! :thumbsup:

Just dug out the final league table for that season.

One thing that sometimes gets forgotten is that it was quite an important match for Bury, as they were in the final play-off place, ideally needing a win, too.

Looking at the table, Fulham relegated to Division 4 that season and some big names behind us : Birmingham, Stoke, Bolton :smile: and Swansea (who nearly got relegated as well!).

... and, of course, Colchester were a non-league side! :smile:

The other interesting thing was that all three sides that got promoted automatically, had been in Division 4 the season before, so three back-to-back promotions!

Final tables, that season :- http://www.englishfootballleaguetables.co.uk/final/f1990-91.html

Last edited:
listened to the score come through ,in Germany,on the BBC world service:smile:
Also today 4.5 68. went to my first ever Blues away game at Notts County...lost 4-3

I still think it was the best day in my Blues life.

Started the day full of excitement and expectation, then to go down to 10 men and thinking this ain't gonna happen today, for Benji to score such a crucial goal when he did and 1200 Blues fans to go absolutely mental was such an emotional rollercoaster.

At the final whistle, men were hugging each other and some were literally crying with joy at the thought of seeing their club playing in Division 2 for the first time the following season. It was all a truly wonderful and memorable day.

To go to Wembley some 24 years later with my 2 Southend United SC holding sons ( At least I got that right about their upbringing ) was also a day we'll all never forget. A last minute goal at Wembley is something you dream about, but for me Bury game tops the lot.

25 years ago my god.
I was just approaching my 25th Birthday at the time and my life was a blur of home and away games with the Railway Pub in Prittlewell and the local Indian also playing a prominent part.
The untold godforsaken grounds visited in the relentless pursuit of finally reaching what seemed like the unattainable leap in the old Div 2 finally paid dividends.
To have a player sent off and for that big hunk of loving that will forever be 'Benji my idol' to score infront of 1200 travelling die hards was all the sweeter.
The video may be fuzzy but I can still pick out and name nearly all the screaming fans either side of me on the fence.
(even if I have put on a few stone and lost my hair since)

It was special - very, very special.
I remember the split second when everyone seemed to freeze as the ball was actually spinning in the net - nobody could quite believe it. Then absolute bedlam!

ps. I have never met the fantastic Shrimpers who were flagged down (by scooter boys) at the M25 junction and gave me a lift to Bury.
The moment you get in a car, are given a car phone (who had a phone in 1991??) to call your wife and a glass is produced and filled from a keg - well you know it is a good day!

Unforgettable, BUT what a team!!!
So many top blokes - the complete dream team; that dressing room must have been something very special.

My top SUFC memory and my favourite team lineup (Angell, Benji, Ansah, Tilson and Sammy)
Was living in Sheffield and got the train on my own. No-one understood why I was so euphoric when I got back. Premier fans never get this sort of memory (except Leicester I suppose)

Last edited:
Back