• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

number11

"Good morning everybody........"
With it level with 3 to play this is a vital test, especially as it is often a 'result' wicket.

I know Headingly seems to be a ground where selectors have often favoured a 'horses for courses' bowler, but have to say Im stunned by Pattinson's inclusion in the squad. He is having a good season but at 29 and little first class experience he doesnt have much of a long term future. Also is a real kick in the teeth for Hoggard and Harmison, plus the likes of Plunkett and Mahmood. Must have been tempting for the selectors to consider Jones as one of a 5 man attack.

Other point of concern is the rumours of Ambrose coming in at 6 and Freddie at 7. I know Id much rather have De Villiers coming in at 6. I hope it comes back to bite me on the arse, but Ambrose just seems out of his depth, especially if he is deprived of width outside the off stump. Test match number 6....never. Its therefore going to need a very big effort from the top 5 to lay a platform for England to bowl out. Sadly the South African team looks more balanced and Id make them favourates. Fingers crossed we get lucky with the toss.

well well pattinson in for injured sidebottom ambrose at 6 flintoff at 7

Frankly bizaare. He hardly gets a game for his home state Western Australia - and worse still he was born in Grimsby!

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Hoggard and Harmison announce their retirements from Test cricket. They have obviously fallen so far behind in the order.

Frankly bizaare. He hardly gets a game for his home state Western Australia - and worse still he was born in Grimsby!

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Hoggard and Harmison announce their retirements from Test cricket. They have obviously fallen so far behind in the order.

He'll probably end up taking 8 wickets and getting the MOM award, but this is a move which smacks of desperation.

He is 30 years old during the next test, he's played just 11 first class games.

He's never played at Headingley, he's never bowled 30 overs in an innings or 20 overs in each innings so the selectors have no idea what his stamina is like and whether he loses pace and starts sending it down leg. They don't know how he reacts to adversity, if he can cope with batsmen attacking him. And worse of all, he speaks with a bloody convict accent.

Its a horses for courses selection, but he's never been to that particular course and has no pedigree, just a recent run of form.

1040: Cloudy at Headingley. with swing in the air - so do England turn to home-town hero Matthew Hoggard, the in-form Simon Jones or even Steve Harmison? Nope - they go for a bloke who was working as a roof-tiler in Australia two years ago.

:D:O:'(

He'll probably end up taking 8 wickets and getting the MOM award, but this is a move which smacks of desperation.

He is 30 years old during the next test, he's played just 11 first class games.

He's never played at Headingley, he's never bowled 30 overs in an innings or 20 overs in each innings so the selectors have no idea what his stamina is like and whether he loses pace and starts sending it down leg. They don't know how he reacts to adversity, if he can cope with batsmen attacking him. And worse of all, he speaks with a bloody convict accent.

Its a horses for courses selection, but he's never been to that particular course and has no pedigree, just a recent run of form.

It does indeed seem the most bizarre selection for a long time and Id be disgusted if I was Hoggard or Harmison. England selection has been pretty good over the past 8 years, but this smacks of the bad old days of giving a Simon Brown / Mike Smith / Min Patel a game. He barely got a game for his State side in Australia, also he is a complete rabbit. Geoff Miller may say he has outperformed the other bowlers this season, but Harmison has not been too far behind him plus has shown occassional internation class.

Still lets hope he proves the selectors hunch was right and Im completely wrong.

Last edited:
Cook gets a dodgy decision from the man who thinks he's the most important one out there and we are 26-1.

Despite the dodginess of the verdict, I think it's time to call enough on Cook. I've said time and again on here that he's never a Test player (certainly not at the moment), despite his seemingly good record.

Cook gets a dodgy decision from the man who thinks he's the most important one out there and we are 26-1.

Despite the dodginess of the verdict, I think it's time to call enough on Cook. I've said time and again on here that he's never a Test player (certainly not at the moment), despite his seemingly good record.

Calling it absolute Tosh may be a bit harsh, but I cant agree with you here. Whether through luck or skill he has made runs at a young age and will only get better. With Colly gone, Bell under threat until last week, Vaughan struggling for form, Strauss only just returned to the fold and Ambrose looking like a mini William Hague, I think axing Cook would be an unneccessary disruption, particulary as there are a lack of players demanding inclusion.

Calling it absolute Tosh may be a bit harsh, but I cant agree with you here. Whether through luck or skill he has made runs at a young age and will only get better. With Colly gone, Bell under threat until last week, Vaughan struggling for form, Strauss only just returned to the fold and Ambrose looking like a mini William Hague, I think axing Cook would be an unneccessary disruption, particulary as there are a lack of players demanding inclusion.

But, time and again on here there were calls for Bell to be dropped - and he is absolute class. Whereas at the moment Cook is a wicket waiting to happen. I did use the caveat "not at the moment" as far as a Test player is concerned.

I think he needs to get back and make regular runs for Essex and then we shall see if he can make it at test level. Neither Bopara or Foster are up to it either at this level, and to say they are IMO is Essex bias.

But, time and again on here there were calls for Bell to be dropped - and he is absolute class. Whereas at the moment Cook is a wicket waiting to happen. I did use the caveat "not at the moment" as far as a Test player is concerned.

I think he needs to get back and make regular runs for Essex and then we shall see if he can make it at test level. Neither Bopara or Foster are up to it either at this level, and to say they are IMO is Essex bias.

I personally have always favoured Bell, especially over Collingwood, but my point still stands, that with our batting the way it is, it would be counter productive dropping someone who has managed to get runs (whether streaky runs or through skill), particularly where the line up is looking a bit shaky elsewhere. The is no one banging on the door demanding inclusion, and the point is further emphasised where you think Bopara is not ready, as he is one of the most likely beneficiaries or dropping Cook.

Who do you replace Cook with?

Despite his problems, I think he'd get in any other test team around the world, although this probably reflects more the dearth of decent openers.

Boapra is raw, but he has the class. I don't have a problem with England opting for a young player and letting him learn on the job, but I can understand if people want to go down the route of the grizzled veteran. Foster is the best wicketkeeper about, but I don't think his batting is up to it.

Who do you replace Cook with?

Despite his problems, I think he'd get in any other test team around the world, although this probably reflects more the dearth of decent openers.

Boapra is raw, but he has the class. I don't have a problem with England opting for a young player and letting him learn on the job, but I can understand if people want to go down the route of the grizzled veteran. Foster is the best wicketkeeper about, but I don't think his batting is up to it.

Do you really think Cook would get in any other Test team in the world? Australia? India? South Africa? Maybe the others, yes.

Despite his lack of runs I'd open with Vaughan - as he will retain his place as captain, despite becoming Brearleyesque in the lack of runs.

I'm a grizzled veteran man, for now, rather than youngster - with this winter's tough tours, and the Ashes next year. Maybe after then Bopara may have realised some potential and can take the Collingwood number 6 slot/dibbly-dobbler role. Who that might be I don't know - maybe Mark Butcher?

I don't rate Foster at all as either a 'keeper, and ceratinly not a batsman. With the total lack of options I'd go back to Prior who is a far far better batsman than Tiny Tim, and probably as good a 'keeper.

Do you really think Cook would get in any other Test team in the world? Australia? India? South Africa? Maybe the others, yes.

Despite his lack of runs I'd open with Vaughan - as he will retain his place as captain, despite becoming Brearleyesque in the lack of runs.

I'm a grizzled veteran man, for now, rather than youngster - with this winter's tough tours, and the Ashes next year. Maybe after then Bopara may have realised some potential and can take the Collingwood number 6 slot/dibbly-dobbler role. Who that might be I don't know - maybe Mark Butcher?

I don't rate Foster at all as either a 'keeper, and ceratinly not a batsman. With the total lack of options I'd go back to Prior who is a far far better batsman than Tiny Tim, and probably as good a 'keeper.

Which grizzled veteran would you go for out of interest? I can imagine Key would get a mention (Christ I think we are similar ages and he is now a veteran?!) and I think he was discarded too early and unlucky with injuries at the wrong times preventing a recall. However, whatever promise he did show (double ton and all that) he still has a worse record then Cook ever did. I know Key went to Australia in 2004, but Cook's record has included trips away to India, Sri Lanka and an Ashes white wash, yet his record still stands up to scrutiny at this time.....

Back