• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"3" person babies

Baby, baby

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
As this is up for a free vote today at the House of Commons, the fact that the bloody chuches are sticking their awl in has irritated me no end - this procedure will help stop the early death of children with Mitochondrial disease that is inherited from their mothers and surely is a VERY GOOD THING.

Listen Christians - if your God was so great, why we "He" allow such terrible things to happen.

Thoughts?

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...esponsible-pushing-mps-against-ivf-law-change

The moral discussion is there to be had, but as an atheist any religion poking their nose in to science is unwelcome. You might as well have the Camping and Caravan club trying to influence decisions.

I always wonder why these fringe Christian groups don't think medicine or life saving surgery isn't also 'playing God', seems a bit hypocritical.

The human race gets weaker by the century,back in the day if you had a headache then a quick hole in the head will cure that,now days we just pop a pill.
How did the victorians cope with gluten in tolerance or other such stuff,i say and think that if medics can improve or even save a life then do it and feck the god squads,if they dont want the help then let your kids die as after all its the will of your god.
Me i take 15 tablets a day and 5 injections a day and without these i would be deaded,some would say good but i say trust in medics not gods of any type after all this is the year 2015 and we dont whorship the sun like we used to.

Doesn't sit well with me, I just think messing about with DNA is going to be storing up trouble in the future.

I am o.k. with what they have voted for in it's limits today.
BUT, what happens when some uber-rich person, for example a short person wants taller off spring, or 100% blue eyes etc will the $ or £ get a scientist to alter the unborn child?
AND then some one will want the next stage, muscles, height, etc.
This may not be the start of genetic society engineering however it does bring that a step closer.

I think it is totally wrong...Mess with nature this way and expect designer children next. **** science in this case.

Some of the greatest love I have seen has been towards children who are not perfect and some of the greatest downfall parent wise I have seen has been to perfectly normal children.

Why does everyone expect designer babies? If they do happen (which is highly doubtful anyway), they'll be no doubt for the incredibly wealthy, the tiny 0.000001% of society.

Nature is meant to be messed with - it's cruel and harsh - not the cuddly, wuddly thing of a Disney cartoon or some hippy dippy ***** of sandal wearing misfits who've eaten too many mung beans. Millions upon millions of people have died due to the bite of a mosquito. Well done mother nature/"God", that's real good going.

I'm sure we're all immunised against polio/measles/mumps etc....or should we all return to the age when life expectancy was incredibly low?

You ask any parent who's had their child die due to a simple genetic marker in the wrong place and they'd tell you something very different. I utterly applaud our politicians today - something that very rarely happens.

I think it is totally wrong...Mess with nature this way and expect designer children next. **** science in this case.

Some of the greatest love I have seen has been towards children who are not perfect and some of the greatest downfall parent wise I have seen has been to perfectly normal children.

Totally agree, I was watching Kyle yesterday afternoon (my guilty pleasure while ironing!) and it was an episode dedicated to children with some quite horrific conditions, injuries and disabilities. To hear one parent say that another parent had told their child "to come away as he (their child) might have cancer," just shows the ignorance of some towards others. If a child is born with a detectable condition then the parents usually have the choice of terminating the pregnancy or not...are we saying that that is now too difficult a decision to make?

I've worked with lots of disabled children over the years right back to being in the Guides and spending a week at disabled Guide camps annually for about 4 years, helping to care for these girls and give their parents some respite, as well as in school. I agree with what Cricko says above, but some of the greatest love shown is also by disabled children to their parents. They often have less inhibitions about being demonstrative, case in point being particularly Downs children.

This whole news story saddens me incredibly.

Doesn't sit well with me, I just think messing about with DNA is going to be storing up trouble in the future.

Wow. Try telling that to some poor woman who just happens to carry a mitochondrial disease. "Sorry but you can't have a healthy baby because I'm worried about some preposterous sci-fi future where everyone is a genetically modified variant of Alan McCormack"

Totally agree, I was watching Kyle yesterday afternoon (my guilty pleasure while ironing!) and it was an episode dedicated to children with some quite horrific conditions and disabilities. To hear one parent say that another parent had told their child "to come away as he (their child) might have cancer," just shows the ignorance of some towards others. If a child is born with a detectable condition then the parents usually have the choice of terminating the pregnancy or not...are we saying that that is now too difficult a decision to make?

I've worked with lots of disabled children over the years right back to being in the Guides and spending a week at disabled Guide camps helping to care for these girls and give their parents some respite, as well as in school. I agree with what Cricko says above, but some of the greatest love shown is also by disabled children to their parents. They often have less inhibitions about being demonstrative, case in point being particularly Downs children.

This whole news story saddens me incredibly.

I'm_Out_Of_Here.gif

Wow. Try telling that to some poor woman who just happens to carry a mitochondrial disease. "Sorry but you can't have a healthy baby because I'm worried about some preposterous sci-fi future where everyone is a genetically modified variant of Alan McCormack"

What a totally ignorant response. Try reading on a bit.

What a totally ignorant response. Try reading on a bit.

LOL you're saying my response is ignorant but then highlight your own ignorance by basing your argument about a complex bioethical issue on what you saw on the Jeremy Kyle show and the fact that you've worked with some disabled children.

Jesus wept.

LOL you're saying my response is ignorant but then highlight your own ignorance by basing your argument about a complex bioethical issue on what you saw on the Jeremy Kyle show and the fact that you've worked with some disabled children.

Jesus wept.
Who is being ignorant? I said it was an episode dedicated to children with some horrific conditions, injuries and disabilities. In every case he spoke to the parents or - as in some cases as they were the carers - the grandparents who were bringing up these children. It was giving these people a public VOICE. Each child was treated as an honoured guest, and they were all given presents...it wasn't a typical Kyle show, it was a SPECIAL. Not one of those parents or carers would have the children in their care any other way, no matter how difficult life can be on a daily basis.

One of those interviewed was a mother with Treacher Collins Syndrome, she had two daughters, one who has also inherited the condition and the younger one who hasn't. This condition is passed down the female line. The husband clearly adored his wife and loved both his children equally.

Who has the right to decide which conditions should be deemed worth intervening with and which shouldn't? Personally, I don't believe anyone has that right.

If it helps people and reduces suffering surely its a good thing.

Back