• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

30 years ago. October 4 1989

Lord Football

Blues on Tour
30 years ago tonight

Tottenham swagered into town. Gazza, Lineker et al. Paul Stewart had a massive sulk and broke a door, Roy got sent off, somewhat harshly, and they bizarrely put the TV camera behind the South Bank goal. .

We beat them 3-2 on the night but they went through on away goals. Crowny hit the post in the last minute.

I was in the middle of the North Bank despite being on crutches having sprained my ankle going TO the pub.

This classic seems to get overlooked, but it's right up there as one of the best nights I've had at the Hall.

Remember it well and was also in the North Bank. Happy days and Gary Bennett got two of the goals iirc:Clap:

Our current team could not score any of our 3 goals.

Don't just mean the headers or working off the ball but the modern world of coaching. Why trow the ball into the box for a number 9 when you can throw it backwards to a CB who is 'good on the ball'

Lord Football.....I think I was standing right next to you that night! Happy days! Think that was the night i lost my watch in the north bank mosh-pit celebrating our 3rd goal. I still have the club official VHS of that game.

I was in the North bank that night. Great game, great memories and still have a decent watch I found that night.

In the North bank too,remember the Crowny post hit like it was yesterday.
How many times have we just missed out ...we never seem to get that bit of luck....Great memories of a great night singing and goal celebrations that unfortunately the younger members will never experience

The Golden Lion before the game, heaving and buzzing, then round to the West Stand (and standing) and what a night to remember. There were 4 of us and Wivs was one of them although I doubt he remembers me now. That was in the days when an evening game under the lights at Roots Hall was a magical thing.

Great night, if I remember rightly Paul Walsh came on and made the difference, that's what saved them. I was in the North bank when Crownie burst through I'd have put my house on him scoring, but unfortunately the post saved the Spuds!
Great to see Roy cut Howells in halve again, just one of his record sending offs immortalised in film!

I was right behind that Crown shot. It was going in until it hit a divot which just diverted in a couple of inches onto the post.

Fantastic night. Remember it like it was yesterday. Was in the East reds I think just behind the old paddock with my Dad and a few others. Merely a 14 year old then but still lives long in the memory

North Paddock, next to Spurs dug out, some chatty players,friendly and not the expected egos, and I fully agree a match to savour.

I had no concept of the away goal rule as I was so young, neither did my folks who took me so I was waiting for extra time and cried my eyes out when that didn't happen. They were peak Spurs for me in terms of who I think of as their legendary players too.

remember the Crowny post hit like it was yesterday.

David Crown was such a good goal scorer. Aside from the obvious two, Crown easily sits alongside the best of the rest as the one of the greatest strikers in my life time. A proper, old school number 9!

Those were the days when a top club would send there 1st team instead of now sending there under 19 team .

I was also in the North Bank that night, & when we scored our 2nd, it was the first time ever i'd heard the West Stand break into song, with a 'come on Southend' chant sung by all.

I was there!!
Had tickets for the North Bank, but was told it was full and we got ushered to the South stand, which was actually where the Spurs fans were. Spent most of the game calling Gazza a fat b’std and taking the p:ss out of the Spuds, who took it in good spirit.

Back