• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A remark on the Barnsley cup thread said that it had been 32 years since our last home cup tie in Rd 4 ............. amazing.

I remember it well. T'was the 75/76 season when we truely were cack, ending up second from bottom in Div 3, the last season of the Rowley era before 'Smiffy the saviour' came along. I remember 'Rowley out' being a popular chant, I joined in, though I always thought it was sad to a chap who was basically a bit of an old school respected gent in the football world and who had that all time league goal scoring record (and still has I think).

We were scoring plenty then courtesy of Silvester, Parker S and goal-hanger Brace, but a defence with oddly our record appearance Mr Moody in his pomp and bagging in penalties for fun, leaked like the West Stand.

The FA Cup was a home-run jaunt until it was time to be knoocked out, Swansea and a weak non-league Dover being brushed aside first when we then we accounted for Brighton 2-1 in a tremendous game. Much like this year, having missed out on one chance in Rd 3 for a pop at the big-boys we all hoped it would be our turn next time, but instead up popped Cardiff from the FA bag of balls, in our league but miles better and with wiley old pro's Mike England and Doug Livermore in their line-up. But we had the inspirational Dave Worthington, and nearly 13,000 turned up at Roots for the match and in another pulsating game Parker S scoring both with the winner coming in the final minutes.

I've just pulled out my progs from that season - the time we had those crappy 5p two-tone 8 page affairs with mixed up typed font bashed out on low-grade bog paper. The prog for a home game just after shows a pic of Parker going ballistic and Brace running away in celebration for the winner.

After the Cardiff game they announced that the draw for Rd 5 would be relayed to us over the tannoy at 5pm. We all stayed behind, and promptly went mad when we finally drew out a decent team for the first time since the mid 50's (which, by the way, I do not remember), league champs Derby away. We all know what happened then as we were conned out of at least a draw by the ref and that rsole Bruce Rioch, but fourth round day on Saturday 24 January 1976 was really our day to saviour. A real blood and thunder cup tie on a dark January day, big crowd, big noise, big hearts, and ending in triumph.

The Barnsley game may not be the draw we were hoping for, but it rekindles great memories and there are many similarities with our present position. I'm really looking forward to it now and the Suffolk Shrimper household will be moving en masse to Roots Hall in expectation on 25 January. I just hope afterwards its the right result for us so I can call the old man, wake him up from his retirement slumbers on the Isle of Sh*te, and remember with him the day we last enjoyed Rd 4 at Roots.

UTB

A remark on the Barnsley cup thread said that it had been 32 years since our last home cup tie in Rd 4 ............. amazing.

I remember it well. T'was the 75/76 season when we truely were cack, ending up second from bottom in Div 3, the last season of the Rowley era before 'Smiffy the saviour' came along. I remember 'Rowley out' being a popular chant, I joined in, though I always thought it was sad to a chap who was basically a bit of an old school respected gent in the football world and who had that all time league goal scoring record (and still has I think).

We were scoring plenty then courtesy of Silvester, Parker S and goal-hanger Brace, but a defence with oddly our record appearance Mr Moody in his pomp and bagging in penalties for fun, leaked like the West Stand.

The FA Cup was a home-run jaunt until it was time to be knoocked out, Swansea and a weak non-league Dover being brushed aside first when we then we accounted for Brighton 2-1 in a tremendous game. Much like this year, having missed out on one chance in Rd 3 for a pop at the big-boys we all hoped it would be our turn next time, but instead up popped Cardiff from the FA bag of balls, in our league but miles better and with wiley old pro's Mike England and Doug Livermore in their line-up. But we had the inspirational Dave Worthington, and nearly 13,000 turned up at Roots for the match and in another pulsating game Parker S scoring both with the winner coming in the final minutes.

I've just pulled out my progs from that season - the time we had those crappy 5p two-tone 8 page affairs with mixed up typed font bashed out on low-grade bog paper. The prog for a home game just after shows a pic of Parker going ballistic and Brace running away in celebration for the winner.

After the Cardiff game they announced that the draw for Rd 5 would be relayed to us over the tannoy at 5pm. We all stayed behind, and promptly went mad when we finally drew out a decent team for the first time since the mid 50's (which, by the way, I do not remember), league champs Derby away. We all know what happened then as we were conned out of at least a draw by the ref and that rsole Bruce Rioch, but fourth round day on Saturday 24 January 1976 was really our day to saviour. A real blood and thunder cup tie on a dark January day, big crowd, big noise, big hearts, and ending in triumph.

The Barnsley game may not be the draw we were hoping for, but it rekindles great memories and there are many similarities with our present position. I'm really looking forward to it now and the Suffolk Shrimper household will be moving en masse to Roots Hall in expectation on 25 January. I just hope afterwards its the right result for us so I can call the old man, wake him up from his retirement slumbers on the Isle of Sh*te, and remember with him the day we last enjoyed Rd 4 at Roots.

UTB

Fantastic post Suffolk,great to tell it back in the day.

Can't remember a game against Cardiff probably because i was only 9.
I shall ask me pops!

UTB

Says it all - lets hope we field 11 more of those come the end of Jan

Great post, I have a vague recollection of that game - Stuart Parker, Terry Nicholl and Peter Silvester were both big favourites of mine - but I do remember going to Derby really well. I believe it was on Valentine's Day, and we were, as you say, robbed. I used to be a ST holder in the old Paddock at that time (always liked being near the players then and still do which is why we're in South lower now) with my dad sitting above me in the East Stand blue seats. Wonderful memories of a great season!

I was 7 and was probably dragged along by my dad but i must admit i dont remember it.

Good Post mate.....loads of virtual Greens for you

Great post, I have a vague recollection of that game - Stuart Parker, Terry Nicholl and Peter Silvester were both big favourites of mine - but I do remember going to Derby really well. I believe it was on Valentine's Day, and we were, as you say, robbed. I used to be a ST holder in the old Paddock at that time (always liked being near the players then and still do which is why we're in South lower now) with my dad sitting above me in the East Stand blue seats. Wonderful memories of a great season!

Yes, Valentine's Day; beaten just but certainly not massacred (which must have been a blow to the headline writers of the day!).

Great season ????? Great, if you like relegation in 23rd place.

UTB

Yep, great post. I too remember the game, being about 14 at the time. I went with my friend and his Dad, and we had tickets in the East Greens (normally went West stand and I think that was the first game I saw from the East).

Was this the game when our normally solid centre back Neil Townsend got injured overstretching for a ball and that more or less ended his career?

Anyway, the winning goal I remember as if it were yesterday. It was the final minute and there was no way we were ever going to win at Cardiff in the replay. I turned to my friend as we won a corner and said "I think we can safely say we are now out of the FA Cup". The corner comes across and there is a groan as the Cardiff keeper jumps unchallenged to pluck the ball out of the air.

The groans however turn to ecstasy as he inexplicably drops it and Stuart Parker instinctively sticks a leg out to poke the ball over the line in front of the South bank (then an open terrace).

I didn't go to the Derby game but saw the highlights on The Big Match on the Sunday. We wuz definitely robbed!

And as for the season being good or bad... well, we had that great Cup run and whilst we were in the Cup our league form improved massively. However, we had a pretty torrid time up to mid October, and lost 5 on the trot which we never really recovered from. But there were some amazing home results... Grimsby 5-2, Halifax 4-1, Brighton 4-0, Swindon 3-0, a boxing day win over Colchester (2-0) that prompted an Echo headline "How the hell are they down there?" and bear in mind that striker Peter Silvester had bagged 23 goals by mid Feb including 2 hat tricks and 1 game where he scored all 4 (Brighton).

I remember the crowd being a 12th man during that season and almost incessantly chanting "Southend" during matches, particularly in the second half.

Unfortunately the Derby defeat signalled the end really; the following Tuesday saw the 4-0 win over Brighton but after that we only won 3 more games in the season and we were ultimately relegated at Hillsborough, beaten on the final day 2-1 by Sheff Wed in an exact reverse of the score on the opening day.

Certainly a very memorable season and the one that I think sticks out most in my mind along with the year we won the 4th Division (1980-1), the first year in Division 2 under Dave Webb (1991-2) and the entire Tilly and Brush era.

I think this is the main point of support for these two that most seem to overlook. OK, things aren't always rosy and their decisions may not always be correct, but since they have been in charge every season has been memorable and that is essentially what we look for as fans; games and seasons we can look back on. Their 3 1/2 seasons prior to this one have all fitted that bill.

Last edited:
Yep, great post. I too remember the game, being about 14 at the time. I went with my friend and his Dad, and we had tickets in the East Greens (normally went West stand and I think that was the first game I saw from the East).

Was this the game when our normally solid centre back Neil Townsend got injured overstretching for a ball and that more or less ended his career?

Anyway, the winning goal I remember as if it were yesterday. It was the final minute and there was no way we were ever going to win at Cardiff in the replay. I turned to my friend as we won a corner and said "I think we can safely say we are now out of the FA Cup". The corner comes across and there is a groan as the Cardiff keeper jumps unchallenged to pluck the ball out of the air.

The groans however turn to ecstasy as he inexplicably drops it and Stuart Parker instinctively sticks a leg out to poke the ball over the line in front of the South bank (then an open terrace).

I didn't go to the Derby game but saw the highlights on The Big Match on the Sunday. We wuz definitely robbed!

And as for the season being good or bad... well, we had that great Cup run and whilst we were in the Cup our league form improved massively. However, we had a pretty torrid time up to mid October, and lost 5 on the trot which we never really recovered from. But there were some amazing home results... Grimsby 5-2, Halifax 4-1, Brighton 4-0, Swindon 3-0, a boxing day win over Colchester (2-0) that prompted an Echo headline "How the hell are they down there?" and bear in mind that striker Peter Silvester had bagged 23 goals by mid Feb including 2 hat tricks and 1 game where he scored all 4 (Brighton).

I remember the crowd being a 12th man during that season and almost incessantly chanting "Southend" during matches, particularly in the second half.

Unfortunately the Derby defeat signalled the end really; the following Tuesday saw the 4-0 win over Brighton but after that we only won 3 more games in the season and we were ultimately relegated at Hillsborough, beaten on the final day 2-1 by Sheff Wed in an exact reverse of the score on the opening day.

Certainly a very memorable season and the one that I think sticks out most in my mind along with the year we won the 4th Division (1980-1), the first year in Division 2 under Dave Webb (1991-2) and the entire Tilly and Brush era.

I think this is the main point of support for these two that most seem to overlook. OK, things aren't always rosy and their decisions may not always be correct, but since they have been in charge every season has been memorable and that is essentially what we look for as fans; games and seasons we can look back on. Their 3 1/2 seasons prior to this one have all fitted that bill.

Muchos green for that one if the rep was back working! Great post mate!

Going back to the cardiff match 2-1, last minute goal, i remember sitting my son on my shoulders so's he could watch the match from the old Paddock and he P**ing on me cos we couldn't get out from the crowd! He's 43 this year by the way!! Still an avid fan, doesn't p** himself quite so much these days!

Going back to the cardiff match 2-1, last minute goal, i remember sitting my son on my shoulders so's he could watch the match from the old Paddock and he P**ing on me cos we couldn't get out from the crowd! He's 43 this year by the way!! Still an avid fan, doesn't p** himself quite so much these days!

With out wanting to sound rood....how old are you??

I bought a junior season ticket in 1976 for the West stand and I don't think they were new then.

Yes, Valentine's Day; beaten just but certainly not massacred (which must have been a blow to the headline writers of the day!).

Great season ????? Great, if you like relegation in 23rd place.

Ok maybe I should've said memorable and not great, but for all the details listed in fbm's post. Many memorable games, I also remember Silvo's 4 goals against Brighton - amazing!

Back