• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

35 Year Ago........

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
tomorrow, is the anniversary of my first Southend match vs. Doncaster Rovers at home, played on either Good Friday or Easter Monday. We won 2-1 (Billy Best and Bill Garner) in that promotion season. I stood with my brother on the South Bank.

Just realised this, and thought I'd share it with you.

Oi, wake up at the back there.

I was there on theNorth Bank.

What a season, Promotion at last after six long years in the fourth, the last two games of the season were against Gillingham remember them well.

Derek Bellotti broke his collarbone in the penultimate home game IIRC (Cambridge ?) and Both Bill Garner and Peter Taylor went in goal (at different times) Ended up as a draw , and we went on to miss out on the title.

I was 13 at the time and sat in the South east seats (5 np transfer from the paddock and 5np for a cushion IIRC) with my Dad and Grandad

tomorrow, is the anniversary of my first Southend match vs. Doncaster Rovers at home, played on either Good Friday or Easter Monday. We won 2-1 (Billy Best and Bill Garner) in that promotion season. I stood with my brother on the South Bank.

Congratulations C C Csiders. This year is the 30th anniversary of my first SUFC game. Although I don't remember the date, I remember the game well enough - 1-0 vs Hartlepool, a free kick IIRC. My abiding memory (being an impressionable 10 year old) was of all the bog rolls thrown on the pitch when we scored.

Congratulations C C Csiders. This year is the 30th anniversary of my first SUFC game. Although I don't remember the date, I remember the game well enough - 1-0 vs Hartlepool, a free kick IIRC. My abiding memory (being an impressionable 10 year old) was of all the bog rolls thrown on the pitch when we scored.

Free kick 30 years ago - my guess would be Gerry Fell.

We played hartlepool twice at home in 1977

76-77
Fri 25-Feb Hartlepool H D4 1 0 Laverick 17 Att6,383

77-78
Fri 14-Oct Hartlepool United H D4 1 1 Moody(pen) 8 att 5,432

Thanks to Robin Michel (the number before the attendace is the league position)

Good player.

I honestly wouldn't have known. Although I went quite regularly when I was younger, all I can remember is names and games. I have no recollection of who was good, bad, or indifferent, and wouldn't recognise a single player from the 70's and early 80's.

The other thing I remember from back then is how difficult it was to find out results of games (especially mid-week ones) if you hadn't gone. I literally had to wait for the Excho to arrive the following day - the anticipation used to kill me. Was it really that bad or was it because my parents were too tight to buy me a radio?

I honestly wouldn't have known. Although I went quite regularly when I was younger, all I can remember is names and games. I have no recollection of who was good, bad, or indifferent, and wouldn't recognise a single player from the 70's and early 80's.

The other thing I remember from back then is how difficult it was to find out results of games (especially mid-week ones) if you hadn't gone. I literally had to wait for the Excho to arrive the following day - the anticipation used to kill me. Was it really that bad or was it because my parents were too tight to buy me a radio?

The Nine o'clock and Ten o'clock news always had the midweek football results at the end of bulletins (most matches kicked off at 7.30 so were over by the end of the 9 o'clock news).

Nope it was very hard to find out evening away game scores. When Essex Radio started they sometimes had a match report after the final whistle but if you missed it you had to wait until the Evening Echo came out at about 4pm. The morning papers sometimes had the scores.

It all changed when teletext started carrying a full results service, what a great invention that was.

The Nine o'clock and Ten o'clock news always had the midweek football results at the end of bulletins (most matches kicked off at 7.30 so were over by the end of the 9 o'clock news).

So it was because my parents made me go to bed too early then! :( I'll be having words - scarred for life. There's probably a self help group knocking around for people like me.

I can't remember them always having lower league midweek scores?

I can't remember them always having lower league midweek scores?

Always. I remember jumping around after Sue Lawley read out on a Friday night:

Scunthorpe 1 Southend 6

Being equally downcast witing outside Radio Rentals in Vic Circus after a night out fot the scores to come up on the 10 o'clock news and seeing Wrexham 4 Southend 1 (on a Thursday night IIRC).

Always. Wrexham 4 Southend 1 (on a Thursday night IIRC).

Yep Thursday 30th April 1987 & it was 4-0 to Wrexham the crowd was 935 & even though we were going for promotion we probably only had about 75 fans there that night.

We played rubbish & you may remember that was the match where Martin Ling got a broken cheekbone and missed the rest of the season. Promotion looked even more unlikely when we lost 2-1 away to Burnley only 2 days later. But of course victories over Cambridge & Stockport secured promotion at Wolves expense!

I was there - on the North Bank - probably managed all home games that year !

Memory is a funny thing cos I would not have put my then all time hero
Billy Best in the same side as Bill Garner (good to see them both live and well at the Hall this year).

So did Spud Taylor play for us that year - and if so how many times - cos i do associate him with Bill Garner. And the fella me and my mates used to
love for his incompetence was a ginger haired guy callled Gary Moore - was he around then -

I used to think that Roots Hall was massive and still walk in half esxpecting to see the South Bank - was our capacity about 35k - and should we lose the toss and end up palying toward the south bank 2 nd half we would walk around the back of the west stand - which I think had a loyal crowd as i think the bars in there served beer all thru the game -

Back