• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

number11

"Good morning everybody........"
So, England win the toss and bat.

Goes without saying this is a massive test, and England can have no excuses with a full hand to choose from.

As Im sure most of you know by now, this isnt the team Id have chosen (In form Ravi or Samit Patel over Colly anyday / just about anyone who can either bat or keep better than Ambrose), but we effectively now have same team we started with but with Freddie instead of Broad (which should strengthen the bowling if not the batting).

I really hope Im proved wrong on the above (especially Colly as I admire a cricketer who makes the most of his talent) and we can get a good score to put pressure on the saffers.....especially hope Monty gets a decent total to bowl at on the 4th innings.

C'mon....

Looking forward to it and desperate for an England win so that when I go to the Oval test meatch next week it's not a dead rubber.

I think unless Ambrose gets some runs in the next couple of games he'll be outed. I would imagine that Prior will come back in if thats the case.

Interesting only picking 4 bowlers (not including Colly) bearing in mind Sidebottom is coming back from an injury and Flintoff working his way back to fitness.

Think Colly got the nod due to his experience and with this being game 3 in the series might be a bit of a big ask to just drop someone in.

Have to say having watched James Foster the other day he must surely be the best gloveman in the country and would surely do a job at number 8 in the battling line up.

He may not be much of a player but that doesn't make him gay.

Doesnt help himself when he looks like someone from Right Said Fred though.

With regards to TFS comment on Foster, completely agree. Having watched all the potential England keepers over the summer Foster is by far the best bet in my opinion.

By far the best keeper standing up to the stumps and regulally contributes with the bat as well.

Have to say having watched James Foster the other day he must surely be the best gloveman in the country and would surely do a job at number 8 in the battling line up.

Having seen him on Saturday and Monday night his keeping looked absolutely sublime and a different league to Ambrose. He was taking some leg side deliveries that if a keeper like Ambrose had missed no one would have even complained at him for missing. ...they were not even half chances. If they are affording the keeper the luxury of batting at 8 then there Foster would be by far the better option.

Having seen him on Saturday and Monday night his keeping looked absolutely sublime and a different league to Ambrose. He was taking some leg side deliveries that if a keeper like Ambrose had missed no one would have even complained at him for missing. ...they were not even half chances. If they are affording the keeper the luxury of batting at 8 then there Foster would be by far the better option.

I've got to agree about the Foster comments as a keeper IMO he is miles better than any of his rivals. Bear in mind he is no mug with the bat with two first class double centuries to his name.

Question for anyone watching on TV....Did Vaughan touch it?

According to the snickometer, yes he did.

Vaughan seriously has to get some runs in his remaining innings otherwise he'll have a few questions asked. Should we lose the series then there will be a few more.

God how terrible are the selectors looking now, surely time to get rid of them as well as this useless set of players and captain. I'd say only Cookie, KP, Monty, Flintoff and Sidebottom are good enough. The rest have been poor for far too long. Lucky we arent playing the Aussies till 2009!

According to the snickometer, yes he did.

Vaughan seriously has to get some runs in his remaining innings otherwise he'll have a few questions asked. Should we lose the series then there will be a few more.

Colly is the next head on the block though which will hopefully buy Vaughan a bit more time.

I know he isn't the finished article but I find it staggering that Broad has been dropped for this match. I can't see us batting out the day and Broad's batting had been exceptional even if his bowling has done little to win matches. Bat him in Collingwood's position - he's responded well to difficult situations so far, I think he would respond well there as well. I suppose the effect on his esteem as a bowler might be a problem, mind

Problem with the likes of Broad and Bopara is that they are always refered to as the future stars of English cricket. This to me says they are not viewed good enough to tie down at place in the side at the moment. England seem quite content to use same batsmen time and time again, only when a batsman is injured will they go for someone else and when that person is fit again then the newbie is dropped.

I seem to recall Owais Shah came into the side a couple of years back, did ok and then was dropped. What kind of message is that sending out to the other county batsmen. Until someone retires or does a Tresco then no-one will get in.

Back