• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

CC51DAS

President
I, for one, will not be that surprised if PB goes for a 4-5-1 formation, at least to start with, on Saturday.

Seems to me that with the large pitch at Wembley we have to be careful to not get caught out, especially early on, a la Plymouth.

Plus, thanks to McGlaughlin's improvement in the second leg against Stevenage, we have at least 5 'in-form' midfield players (assumimg everyone is fit) who almost select themselves and who are finding the net.

The possibility of extra time adds a further dimension - for example can the Pig last the full 120 ?

No I dont think so, I think he will start the same team as last week.

Would be interesting to see how Payne and Weston do on the Wembley pitch late on though.

It's a difficult one and thats why I'm not the manager but we peppered Stevenage all night with a 4-4-2 system and the only 2 occasions in the last 10 games we haven't started with a 4-4-2, we have failed to win..

It's a difficult one and thats why I'm not the manager but we peppered Stevenage all night with a 4-4-2 system and the only 2 occasions in the last 10 games we haven't started with a 4-4-2, we have failed to win..

Said the same thing the other day but the last 3 games we did win prior to the play offs we weren't playing 442 when the goals went in. We started against Morecambe with 442, just with Payne up front.

That said, Stevengage was our best performance in a long time so I cant see why we would change from that selection.

I, for one, will not be that surprised if PB goes for a 4-5-1 formation, at least to start with, on Saturday.

Seems to me that with the large pitch at Wembley we have to be careful to not get caught out, especially early on, a la Plymouth.

Plus, thanks to McGlaughlin's improvement in the second leg against Stevenage, we have at least 5 'in-form' midfield players (assumimg everyone is fit) who almost select themselves and who are finding the net.

The possibility of extra time adds a further dimension - for example can the Pig last the full 120 ?

Awaits mrsblue :winking:

I think we have to play this game to win. 4-5-1 gives us more control over the midfield and the pace of the game (this is probably why we used it at Stevenage) but sacrifices the ability to create chances.

For a final game, surely we have to go 4-4-2?

I have to believe at Wembley we need a defensive midfielder, probably Deegan, in front of the back four. Its a big pitch and gaps will be exploited. AB has done very well but he is not that speedy and it will be easier to drop a ball over his head into space. We need to keep our goal safe first and then concentrate on using what speed we can muster when breaking forward. Its almost a completely different scenario to pitches we regularly play on and needs to be addressed accordingly.

I can't see anything changing, unless we get any injuries.

99 times out of 100 I'd say that we should play 4-4-2. This might be the one time I'd suggest doing something different. I think Payne could thrive in the hole with the amount of space that he should have at Wembley.

I have to believe at Wembley we need a defensive midfielder, probably Deegan, in front of the back four. Its a big pitch and gaps will be exploited. AB has done very well but he is not that speedy and it will be easier to drop a ball over his head into space. We need to keep our goal safe first and then concentrate on using what speed we can muster when breaking forward. Its almost a completely different scenario to pitches we regularly play on and needs to be addressed accordingly.

Ceratinly see the sense in that, but who would you drop then and what system?

Seems harsh to leave anyone out from that last game.

I am looking forward to the last 10 mins when Weston comes on, against Stevenage he came on and literally ripped them apart shame it's only taken a whole season for us to see him use his pace effectively but with the Wembley pitch being so big it's surely made for him to come on a cause havoc.

Wycombe blew Plymouth away in an initial burst in both legs of the semi-final, they then tired and allowed Plymouth to stage comebacks in both games. I think we might be wise to focus on blunting their initial burst and then blow them away in the second half...... but, then again......

I am looking forward to the last 10 mins when Weston comes on, against Stevenage he came on and literally ripped them apart shame it's only taken a whole season for us to see him use his pace effectively but with the Wembley pitch being so big it's surely made for him to come on a cause havoc.

Weston has always had blistering pace, its only been in the last month/6 weeks he's remembered to take the ball with him

Phil MUST go there and win by playing 442,if he plays 451 then WW will have space from the back to play which will hurt us.

Same team as against Boro with the exception of if we chasing it then bring on Jack.

Corr must not take any direct free kicks from 12 yards.

451 for me. Wycombe score goals and they tend to score them early and then concede.

In their last 6 games (4 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss)

Goals scored 1st half = 7
Goals scored 2nd half = 3

Goals conceded 1st half = 0
Goals conceded 2nd half = 7

Keep it tight and frustrate them. Don't panic if we go one down. Keep Payne, Piggot and Weston on the bench and they can all be game changers in the 2nd half.

Bentley
White Bolger AB Coker
Worrall Lenny Deegan Timlin Atkinson
Corr

451 for me. Wycombe score goals and they tend to score them early and then concede.

In their last 6 games (4 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss)

Goals scored 1st half = 7
Goals scored 2nd half = 3

Goals conceded 1st half = 0
Goals conceded 2nd half = 7

Keep it tight and frustrate them. Don't panic if we go one down. Keep Payne, Piggot and Weston on the bench and they can all be game changers in the 2nd half.

Bentley
White Bolger AB Coker
Worrall Lenny Deegan Timlin Atkinson
Corr

Thank god you ain't the gaffer then.

Phil MUST go there and win by playing 442,if he plays 451 then WW will have space from the back to play which will hurt us.

Same team as against Boro with the exception of if we chasing it then bring on Jack.

Corr must not take any direct free kicks from 12 yards.

I do agree that 4-4-2 is probably the way to go at Wembley, especially after we played so well at RH on Thursday. I also think McLaughlin will be unlucky not to start as he was the game-changer on Thursday and gave us much better balance and some cracking deliveries for strikers who are decent aerially, especially Corr. I do think Atkinson will be preferred though as the more solid defensive option out wide. Worrall/Atkinson is reminiscent of 10 years ago with Gower/Pettefer IMHO.

Thank god you ain't the gaffer then.

In their last 3 games Wycombe have gone 2-0 up twice, and 3-0 once. They've won all three games (but ended up conceding in all).

They are very decent going forward but they've had a bare squad for a while and I think we'll be in a better position regarding fitness/injuries and options from the bench. We need to be in the game at half time. I don't want to be 2-0 down at half time which is a very real possibility if we play 442 and are too open on a large pitch (although the Wembley pitch-size thing is a slight myth).

The :pig: is a lot younger than BBBC and should be able to last 120 minutes at his age. If he can't then no problem, we have Cassidy, Payne & Weston as attacking options on the bench anyway.

Back