• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 40 Years Ago - 1979/80 - The Season we played in 7 League Cup Ties

LBBlue

Manager⭐
Last season Burton played 7 League Cup Ties and got knocked out in the 2 legged semi final. In 1979/80 we played 7 League Cup ties and got knocked out in the third round!

In those days both the first round and second round were two legged affairs.

The first round first leg should have been played on the Saturday before the league season started and the second leg in midweek a few days later. However the notorious coronation chicken food poisoning meant the first game was postponed from the Saturday to the Wednesday with second leg being played the following Tuesday.

So we took on Brentford on 15th August beat them 2-1 with goals from Gerry Fell and an OG by Jim McNichol. The crowd was recorded as a nice round 3,600. The following Tuesday we all trotted off to Griffin Park where lo and behold a famous 4 -1 victory was recorded with 2 goals from Mickey Touhy and one each from Colin Morris and Derrick Parker in front of 7,820

Due to the delay in playing those fixtures I guess we must have already known that the winners would be playing First Division Bolton Wanderers in the second round.

So off we went to Burnden Park the following Tuesday who the week before had drawn 0-0 with Liverpool at Anfield. There were only 41 more at Bolton than at Brentford. We weren't much of a draw in Bolton. However those who went witnessed one of the most gutsiest performances from Blues as we won at a first division ground for the first time ever. Quoting from Peter Miles and David Goody - 50 of the finest matches:

"The referee Michael Peck was a central figure in the game and seemed to many supporters to judge tackles differently depending on who was the aggressor. In the opening minute Len Cantello clattered into Colin Morris who required lengthy treatment but was let off with a mild admonishment. Roy Greaves and Peter Nicholson also made some ugly challenges which went unpunished. Yet every time the Blues made a tackle the result was at best a severe talking to and more often a yellow card was brandished. One yellow card was brandished at Dave Cusack in 14th minute when he flattened Alan Gowling but in 34th minute Cusack won the ball fairly from Neil Whatmore but was inexplicably shown a second yellow and sent down the tunnel."

So there we were down to 10 men after just 34 minutes away to a first division side.

The inevetiable happened in 51st minute when Bolton took the lead but 3 minutes later a 50 yard ball from Tony Hadley found Colin Morris and 1-1. 9 minutes later another ball from Hadley who was now playing at centre half was flicked on by Touhy to Morris 2-1 - amazing. We held on till the end thanks to magical Merv Cawston for a famous victory.

The second leg was played the following Monday at Roots Hall in front of 9894 when a 0-0 won us the tie. we were in the third round or the first time in 10 years and who came out of the hat- second division West Ham at Upton Park.

Tuesday 25th September 1-1 at Upton Park in front of 19,658.
If I recall correctly Ronnie Pountney put us in front in the first half, Phil Dudley missed a sitter that would have put us 2-0 up and David Cross equalised for the Hammers just before half time.

So Monday 1st October back at Roots Hall in front of 22,429 and a 0-0 after extra time. Even though they were in the 2nd division West Ham had Phil Parkes, Ray Stewart, Billy Bonds, Alvin, Paul Brush, Trevor Brooking, Alan Devonshire and Stuart Pearson on their books.

So what happened the next - the toss of the coin said we were going back to Upton Park the following Monday. We were now severely depleted without Steve Yates, Tuohy, Parker and succumbed 5-1 after being 2-1 down at half time in front of another 19,718. Billy Lansdowne got hat trick for them our goal came from Terry Gray.

Cawston, Cusack, Dudley, Moody ,Morris, Otulakowski and Stead played in all 7 games, Steve Yates 6, Gray, Parker and Hadley 4 of them , Pountney 3 and Fell and Walker 1.

To cap that week off we then lost at home to Colchester on the following Friday.

But it was all great fun whilst it lasted!

Wouldn't it be great if we could manage just of a couple of ties in one season again!

Great memories even though 40 years have passed, I think Merv the swerve saved a pen in the home game vs Bolton too...

Yes he did. In front of the North bank, if i remember correctly.

I think we also went 1-0 up at West Ham in the replay.

Last season Burton played 7 League Cup Ties and got knocked out in the 2 legged semi final. In 1979/80 we played 7 League Cup ties and got knocked out in the third round!

The first round first leg should have been played on the Saturday before the league season started and the second leg in midweek a few days later. However the notorious coronation chicken food poisoning meant the first game was postponed from the Saturday to the Wednesday with second leg being played the following Tuesday.

So we took on Brentford on 15th August beat them 2-1 with goals from Gerry Fell and an OG by Jim McNichol. The crowd was recorded as a nice round 3,600. The following Tuesday we all trotted off to Griffin Park where lo and behold a famous 4 -1 victory was recorded with 2 goals from Mickey Touhy and one each from Colin Morris and Derrick Parker in front of 7,820

Due to the delay in playing those fixtures I guess we must have already known that the winners would be playing First Division Bolton Wanderers in the second round.

So off we went to Burnden Park the following Tuesday who the week before had drawn 0-0 with Liverpool at Anfield. There were only 41 more at Bolton than at Brentford. We weren't much of a draw in Bolton. However those who went witnessed one of the most gutsiest performances from Blues as we won at a first division ground for the first time ever. Quoting from Peter Miles and David Goody - 50 of the finest matches:

"The referee Michael Peck was a central figure in the game and seemed to many supporters to judge tackles differently depending on who was the aggressor. In the opening minute Len Cantello clattered into Colin Morris who required lengthy treatment but was let off with a mild admonishment. Roy Greaves and Peter Nicholson also made some ugly challenges which went unpunished. Yet every time the Blues made a tackle the result was at best a severe talking to and more often a yellow card was brandished. One yellow card was brandished at Dave Cusack in 14th minute when he flattened Alan Gowling but in 34th minute Cusack won the ball fairly from Neil Whatmore but was inexplicably shown a second yellow and sent down the tunnel."

So there we were down to 10 men after just 34 minutes away to a first division side.

The inevetiable happened in 51st minute when Bolton took the lead but 3 minutes later a 50 yard ball from Tony Hadley found Colin Morris and 1-1. 9 minutes later another ball from Hadley who was now playing at centre half was flicked on by Touhy to Morris 2-1 - amazing. We held on till the end thanks to magical Merv Cawston for a famous victory.

The second leg was played the following Monday at Roots Hall in front of 9894 when a 0-0 won us the tie. we were in the third round or the first time in 10 years and who came out of the hat- second division West Ham at Upton Park.

If I recall correctly Ronnie Pountney put us in front in the first half, Phil Dudley missed a sitter that would have put us 2-0 up and David Cross equalised for the Hammers just before half time.

So Monday 1st October back at Roots Hall in front of 22,429 and a 0-0 after extra time. Even though they were in the 2nd division West Ham had Phil Parkes, Ray Stewart, Billy Bonds, Alvin, Paul Brush, Trevor Brooking, Alan Devonshire and Stuart Pearson on their books.

So what happened the next - the toss of the coin said we were going back to Upton Park the following Monday. We were now severely depleted without Steve Yates, Tuohy, Parker and succumbed 5-1 after being 2-1 down at half time in front of another 19,718. Billy Lansdowne got hat trick for them our goal came from Terry Gray.

Cawston, Cusack, Dudley, Moody ,Morris, Otulakowski and Stead played in all 7 games, Steve Yates 6, Gray, Parker and Hadley 4 of them , Pountney 3 and Fell and Walker 1.

To cap that week off we then lost at home to Colchester on the following Friday.

Wouldn't it be great if we could manage just of a couple of ties in one season again!

I saw all of those games......excellent drive to Bolton as I recall!

The Bolton supporters were amazed that our ‘centre forward’ was such a superb centre back.........and didn’t Anton get hooked by Dave Smith after about 20 minutes of the third WHU game because Smithy didn’t like the way he was playing?

The Brentford away game was also notable for being the last time we saw Graham Field in the UK.

He was in the Arms before the game and decided to join us for one of his last games before departing for Houston or Dallas.

The Bolton supporters were amazed that our ‘centre forward’ was such a superb centre back.........and didn’t Anton get hooked by Dave Smith after about 20 minutes of the third WHU game because Smithy didn’t like the way he was playing?

The Brentford away game was also notable for being the last time we saw Graham Field in the UK.

He was in the Arms before the game and decided to join us for one of his last games before departing for Houston or Dallas.
Not only was Otulakowski subbed early in that game I seem to recall at the next home game Smith gave a pre match address over the tannoy and described Otulakowski as having 'disgraced himself' in the West Ham game, which puts Bond's recent outburst inthe shade. And we lost 0-1 to Colchester.

Yes he did. In front of the North bank, if i remember correctly.

Yup, Neil Whatmore took it. It was poor, Merv was able to change his direction and stop it. I was right behind it in the North Bank. One of my very earliest football memories. I think Bolton had Frank Worthington playing that night, they certainly had Big Sam.

The first 2 matches I attended was Bolton and West Ham. I had just moved to the area new house and new job. One of the guys I worked with was a season ticket holder so I came along to integrate in with the locals. He has a lot to answer for ?

The excellent drive to Bolton was made even better as it was the day Essex clinched the County Championship. We went the scenic route through Chapel-en-le-Frith, Glossop and Oldham rather than the M6. found a nice pub in the Good Beer Guide near Stoke coming home

Looking at the teams I reckon Hadley started in midfield at Bolton as Derrick Parker and Touhy both started as well.

Parker was injured for all 3 West ham games and Touhy for the last. Hadley and Pountney were up front, John Walker played left back in the 3rd WH match as Steve Yates was injured which made it all the more strange when Anton got pulled off - Jeff Hull came on. Micky Stead was in midfield for all 7 games. Merv also got injured in the 3rd match at West Ham.

After that the season was all down hill. Knocked out of the FA Cup at Harlow Town, and relegation. Bolton managed just 5 wins all season and finished bottom of Div 1, West Ham were 7th in Div 2 but had the small consolation of winning the FA Cup.

i thought Merv got injured in the Roots Hall game and West Ham still couldn't score past him.

I went to all those apart from the Bolton away game.

great days, i went to all seven games,the hardest game to get to being Bolton away.Someone drove a few off us by van,but forgot who drove it.
the Brentford(lc) away game kicked off early,in the small away end.
Podge and Steve.W. jumped over the fence onto the pitch,leaving me and a few other to fend off about 25 Bees "fans".

Back