• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

40 years without missing ahome game

rigsby

Life President⭐
In the week Paul 'Herman' Kelsey completed 40 years without missing a home game. That's all first team fixtures including in the league, FA cup, League Cup and all the various Checkatrade type cups.

I guess its around 1050+ games in a row. Herman isn't the type to make a fuss about it but I think its worth a mention on here, if only to put some of the current whinging into perspective.

So a big well done and thanks to Herman and his very supportive family. After all they have made just as many sacrifices in order for him to keep his run going.

The last game he missed at RH was due to illness (whimp) on a Tuesday night v Sheffield Wednesday, just a few weeks after the famous Liverpool game.

I believe someone has put forward an article for tomorrows programme. So lets hope they print it

Top effort.

It does however make you wonder what he has done do deserve such self inflicted punishment...

Blimey, I hope he has something else in his life that gives him joy as that is a recipe for manic depression!

On a serious note though, fair play

I do commend people like this. An incredible effort.

But the point about having a very supportive family is spot on. He must have missed weddings and other occasions throughout that time and for me personally I do think sometimes family comes first. I’m sure he’s got some stories of times when he was under pressure to end the run!

I do commend people like this. An incredible effort.

But the point about having a very supportive family is spot on. He must have missed weddings and other occasions throughout that time and for me personally I do think sometimes family comes first. I’m sure he’s got some stories of times when he was under pressure to end the run!

He did slip out of a local wedding reception for a few hours to keep up his record. Luckily he met his wife through supporting Southend so she understands that certain men just have this need.

Another time he was in Southend Hospital and had arranged for clothing to be delivered by his daughter and an escape plan after doctors rounds on the Saturday.....Fortunately they released him that morning......It really is a family effort to maintain such a run. All family holiday were taken between May and the start of August.

Great achievement and one I am very envious of and would love to be able to achieve. Well done Paul, hopefully some happier times will come soon because you’re a saint for putting up with the **** times over the 40 years.

I know it's our ground - but it looked old when new, and that's not a reflection on Sid's herculean efforts.
Once they took away the South terrace and replaced it with the Frank Walton stand. Hang on! said Stan, when chatting to him: 'my transfer paid for that' it lost a bit more character.
I'm thinking of all those yak burgers and dishwater masquerading as tea/coffee Herman may have imbibed.
Even the box hospitality, and I've sampled it twice is average.
The Roots Hall 'experience' is not great, but hey-ho we're stuck with it.
I think Herman should get a medal as well as a mention.

Last edited:
He did slip out of a local wedding reception for a few hours to keep up his record. Luckily he met his wife through supporting Southend so she understands that certain men just have this need.

Another time he was in Southend Hospital and had arranged for clothing to be delivered by his daughter and an escape plan after doctors rounds on the Saturday.....Fortunately they released him that morning......It really is a family effort to maintain such a run. All family holiday were taken between May and the start of August.

That’s fantastic to hear. But even that takes some balls. My friend I have my season ticket with got married on the first day of this season at Prittlewell Priory and even then I didn’t slip away.

Given the score that day it was probably a blessing for us both!

Top effort ! True Definition of supporting through thick and thin. Hats off :Happy::Worthy:

So he misses the friendlies then?

Bah... lightweight...

:Winking:

In the week Paul 'Herman' Kelsey completed 40 years without missing a home game. That's all first team fixtures including in the league, FA cup, League Cup and all the various Checkatrade type cups.

I guess its around 1050+ games in a row. Herman isn't the type to make a fuss about it but I think its worth a mention on here, if only to put some of the current whinging into perspective.

So a big well done and thanks to Herman and his very supportive family. After all they have made just as many sacrifices in order for him to keep his run going.

The last game he missed at RH was due to illness (whimp) on a Tuesday night v Sheffield Wednesday, just a few weeks after the famous Liverpool game.

I believe someone has put forward an article for tomorrows programme. So lets hope they print it

Let's not forget he's also done his fair share of away games as well over the past 40 years. I wonder how many games in total ?
Well done Herman - it's a great achievement considering some of the tripe served up in the mid eighties when under 2,000 used to attend Roots Hall!

Last edited:
Great dedication 40 years of attending every home game.Some real ups and downs in that time.

Back