• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 44 years to the day, or night should I say

Tell me about it Mel!. It was like Indiana Jones in the cave in the 1st 10 mins of raiders of the Lost Ark!!. Gangs of rat faced scally's on the prowl for easy targets everywhere.
Jan & me literally got back to our coach with about 5 secs to spare. Coach driver opened the door, Jan got on & i turned around to see a gang of them yards away. I was able to give the leader a 'Bobby Charlton' left footer on his shin!. As i had a pair of steel capped working boots on, hopefully he remembered that for a couple of weeks!.
'Tricky Dickie' & Paul Oz got mugged & beat in Stanley park after the game, & Gary S from Shoebury who hired a mini van for the trip had it totally trashed as well.
As we say.... the good old days!.
Tell me about it, Tony what a to do.

It was Robbie Winkworths van and it was orange, that's going to alienate half of Liverpool before we had even had a skirmish in the car park. Everywhere we went the van stuck out like a sore thumb and I can still picture Tony, S, Carl, Jesse B and myself in the back of van with milk crates on our heads as bricks rained in at every traffic light we got stopped at. The journey back in a snowstorm with windows missing put the tin hat on it.

It was Robbie Winkworths van and it was orange, that's going to alienate half of Liverpool before we had even had a skirmish in the car park. Everywhere we went the van stuck out like a sore thumb and I can still picture Tony, S, Carl, Jesse B and myself in the back of van with milk crates on our heads as bricks rained in at every traffic light we got stopped at. The journey back in a snowstorm with windows missing put the tin hat on it.
Robbie was my best man at my wedding in 1996. I'm seeing him today. He still laughs about that. I had some adventures in that van as we used it to go to and sell pop concert and football souvenirs everywhere. That van was cursed. It would break down. Get robbed, or get attacked, Lol. I went back to it once to get some stock, and some Irish travellers were inspecting it. As they walked past me, I asked was there anything wrong with the van? And one said yeah, it's not worth nicking.

I knew you would remember more than i could.Other than Ron cannot remember who else was in the van. As for the colour??
Do you remember we got into Liverpool itself, nobody in front knew where we were,i was sitting on crates,like you,in the back.
One of the lads got out and asked the way to the ground.
Came back shocked,coz he asked in an off-licence.... it had bars where you ordered your stuff,it seems you paid first,then through the bars you got your "drink"
That was Liverpool....and they seemed proud about it
AS ive wriiten before,i lived in Exeter 1985-90... they had the same trouble there.
But it was either trainers or a sheepskin,.. i used to drinking in the ECFC social club before the game and my mate said "thats him"..i had no idea what he ment....but what happened was after the game,some Scousers came round him on the way through the park and said" i like your sheepskin"..yes he thought/said"nice"...."NO...i LIKE your sheepskin"
Ended up on the coach somewhat colder
Would i change anything about that night!!! Other than either the result or the PAK took the KOP...NO....

I knew you would remember more than i could.Other than Ron cannot remember who else was in the van. As for the colour??
Do you remember we got into Liverpool itself, nobody in front knew where we were,i was sitting on crates,like you,in the back.
Came back shocked,coz he asked in an off-licence.... it had bars where you ordered your stuff,it seems you paid first,then through the bars you got your "drink"
AS ive wriiten before,i lived in Exeter 1985-90... they had the same trouble there.
But it was either trainers or a sheepskin,.. i used to drinking in the ECFC social club before the game and my mate said "thats him"..i had no idea what he ment....but what happened was after the game,some Scousers came round him on the way through the park and said" i like your sheepskin"..yes he thought/said"nice"...."NO...i LIKE your sheepskin"
Would i change anything about that night!!! Other than either the result or the PAK took the KOP...NO....
Bit off target , in 72 five or six car loads from Leigh went to Watford . The car I was in got lost , so we parked up near the ground . Walking to the ground we walked into half a dozen Watford who were older than us one of which had a sheeps skin on . I n the following ruck Watford came of worst , the guy in the sheeps skin was sitting on the floor no knowing where he was . One of our lot took the sheep skin which he wore for about four years after .

The KOP at Anfield liked our big "Dave Smith's Blue and White Army" banner, and even cheered and applauded when we turned it around to reveal "Southend are Magic, Liverpool are Tragic" Emlyn Hughes, :Hilarious:

Bit off target , in 72 five or six car loads from Leigh went to Watford . The car I was in got lost , so we parked up near the ground . Walking to the ground we walked into half a dozen Watford who were older than us one of which had a sheeps skin on . I n the following ruck Watford came of worst , the guy in the sheeps skin was sitting on the floor no knowing where he was . One of our lot took the sheep skin which he wore for about four years after .
Maybe thats why we stopped buying sheepskins and turned to donkey jackets

Was that KF? Because he wore a sheepskin for years.

That off licence just about summed Liverpool up, it was like something from the wild west. As bad as Liverpool was it was an upgrade on the Man City league cup game in the 80's. Moss Side was a tip even before the riots, the first time Joe M and me didn't bother going to a pub before a game. Awful place.

Back