• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

48 Teams for the 2026 Mens' World Cup

Despite all the bollocks that’s surrounded this World Cup it’s actually been quite good. 48 teams in the FIFA Soccer World Cup 😬is obviously a big money spinner for the FIFA Mafia but doesn’t really matter as far as we’re concerned though, Same Same but different.

It's well past being considered, they confirmed it was 48 teams 5 years ago prior to bids being accepted, it's why Mexico and Canada were part of the American bid (to take some of the group stage load off America).

What's being considered now is that the original plan was to have 16 groups of 3 (with 2 going through), which would have been crap. It seems like FIFA are now thinking that 12 groups of 4 (presumably with some best 3rd places like in the recent Euros) would be a better idea.

Bet those places go to Asia, Concaf and Africa, with 5 rounds of play off semi finals for the runners up in EUFA groups

Doubt the 10 Conmebol countries would back an increase in teams if it meant they lost 2 or 3 of their (currently) guaranteed minimum of 4 WC Finals places.

Bet those places go to Asia, Concaf and Africa, with 5 rounds of play off semi finals for the runners up in EUFA groups
The extra slots have already been decided:

8 guaranteed places for Asia (up from 5), with a 9th potentially going through via an intercontinental playoff.

9 guarenteed places for Africa (up from 5), with a 10th potentially going through via an intercontinental playoff.

6 guarenteed places for CONCACEF (including Mexico, USA and Canada, all of whom automatically qualify as hosts) (up from 3), with a 7th and an 8th potentially going through via an intercontinental playoff.

5 guarenteed places for CONMEBAL (up from 4) with a sixth potentially going through via an intercontinental playoff.

1 guarenteed place for Oceania (up from 0), with a 2nd potentially going through via an intercontinental playoff.

16 guarenteed places for UEFA (up from 13), no intercontinental playoffs.

Last edited:
good to see Oceania get a guaranteed place , yes they maybe a weak confederation , but this will help them with progression .Its why Australia left Oceania and applied and was granted permission to join the Asian zone, to help improve their standard ,You dont improve by paying teams apart from NZ that you can demolish with ease all the time .

Sepp Blatter did many things wrong as the wrld knows , but i give him my respect on one count . Many years ago and im talking way before Australia entered the Asian Zone ,i wrote a letter to him at FIFA about the Oceania confederation and how it should be incorporated into the Asian confederation,i explained my reasons for this and a plan of how it could work ,with all the ASIANS COUNTRIES split into two sections ,keeping apart countries such as Nth Korea and South Korea and a few others that are not on what you mat call friendly terms ,,i even went as far as showing him in detail the 2 sections name each country in each section.I look back now from that time so so long ago and think you could do the same with UEFA COUNTRIES LOL
, Anyway much to my surprise a month or so later i received a letter from FIFA from Sepp Blatter who himself thought it was a good idea ,but it was up to each individual country to apply for that themselves either through their own zone ( Oceania ) or as later Australia did to the Asian confederation for them to decide .Much respect to him for that .

good to see Oceania get a guaranteed place , yes they maybe a weak confederation , but this will help them with progression .Its why Australia left Oceania and applied and was granted permission to join the Asian zone, to help improve their standard ,You dont improve by paying teams apart from NZ that you can demolish with ease all the time .
Yes I remember looking up some of the early qualifying games some years ago, like Norfolk Islands etc and one team lost 36 nil but all the same it’s great that everyone gets a crack at it.

The extra slots have already been decided:

8 guaranteed places for Asia (up from 5), with a 9th potentially going through via an intercontinental playoff.

9 guarenteed places for Africa (up from 5), with a 10th potentially going through via an intercontinental playoff.

6 guarenteed places for CONCACEF (including Mexico, USA and Canada, all of whom automatically qualify as hosts) (up from 3), with a 7th and an 8th potentially going through via an intercontinental playoff.

5 guarenteed places for CONMEBAL (up from 3) with a sixth potentially going through via an intercontinental playoff.

1 guarenteed place for Oceania (up from 0), with a 2nd potentially going through via an intercontinental playoff.

16 guarenteed places for UEFA (up from 13), no intercontinental playoffs.
Conmebol currently allocated 4 automatic places plus a 5th place up for grabs via a play-off with another confederation.

I quite like the idea of all the worlds teams taking part in a knockout tournament, no qualifying rounds, no group stages simply a round by round knockout competition drawn like the FA Cup at each round.

Totally impractical I know but it'd be an interesting event to watch take place

Back