• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

4th Officials

ldnfatso

Red Rep King!
What is the point of these people?
Surely the responsibilty to show the subs board and additional minutes board can be done by anyone. Surely managers are capable of behaving themselves without this guy. And who give a toss about technical areas when you can have a player/coach running the touchline giving instructions?
I just feel these people are a waste of time unless they are making on field contribution rather than taking care of the above nonsense.

Primary reason they're there for is as a 'substitute ref' for if any of the 3 officials get injured. If they weren't there, and the ref or a linesman got injured, who would take over?

I think what ldn was alluding to is whilst they are there basically twiddling their thumbs they could/should be another pair of eyes on the game yet seem either unwilling or unable to get involved

I think what ldn was alluding to is whilst they are there basically twiddling their thumbs they could/should be another pair of eyes on the game yet seem either unwilling or unable to get involved

I thought they were an extra pair of eyes. I swear I've seen some decisions made based on what the 4th official has told the ref, think the only one I remember is the Zidane headbutt in the 2006 World Cup.

My understanding was that these idiots cannot rule/comment on pitch incidents. However they can report any touchline fracas to the ref who subsequently sends the offenders to the stand.

They can report misconduct on the pitch to the referee, if the AR's and Referee miss it. They probably do it more than it looks, as they're all wired up.

They can report misconduct on the pitch to the referee, if the AR's and Referee miss it. They probably do it more than it looks, as they're all wired up.

I can't say i've ever seen an incident where the ref has gone over to chat with the 4th official during a game (though i admit i do sit about as far away from him at RH as i possibly could) .. aside from, as my learned friend points out ^^^, any spats in the dug out area

Back