• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Was talking with lads on the train on the way home about the most important or fun games for me personally in my Southend watching career. I have left out Col U last week as sure everyone loved that one. My 5 are as follows: (In No Order)

DERBY AWAY - WON 2-1  - First Season Under Webby.

Was only about 10 when I went. Me and My Dad sat outside the away end when Peter Shilton and Mark Wright who were big stars at the time walked past. Looked at my Dad and said we were going to get spanked. First game in a new division and we went 2-0 up quite early. Loved that day.

BURY AWAY - WON 1-0  Day we went up.

Sure everyone that was there will know it. Amazing day and when we lost Pat Scully in the first half it looked bad. As we all know Benji scored and we were up. Gives me goose bumps now.

LEICESTER AWAY - WON 3-0  - Julian Hales Hatrick

Not significant to anyone but me. Spent much of my early years at school in Leicester, my step brother and all his mates used to rip the mickey ouf the Blues. We lost every season we played them at Filberet Street and I was teased relentlessly by everyone I knew.

That was until Julian Hales rolled into town. A super Hatrick and seen the school bully on the way out who couldnt even look at me he was so gutted.....YES.....

BRADFORD AWAY - Won 2-0  - This season.

After defeat at home to Port Vale was sure we were going down. Was on a promise with a bird from work but the lads convinced me to go to Bradford on a cold Tuesday night. As we all know an OG and Gutts made it a safe win. A great night though and one I could never see coming.

BRIGHTON AWAY - Won 2-0  - N Y day.

Had been out with all my mates who all support Brighton the nighr before. They were so cocky as the had the famous Bobby Zamora palying and had ribbed me all season about nicking Nathan Jones from us. Had a massive night out NYE and all the lads were so cocky about an easy win. We all planned to go drinking down the seafront the next day to celebrate an easy Brighton win.

Martin Carruthers and Dave Lee had other ideas. Funny enough we didnt go drinking and every time any of mates get a bit mouthy I just remind them of NYD.

Yours
rock.gif
???

Funny enough typed it last night but just had to check who scored our second at Brighton Ken, - So whats yours...??

Birmingham at home following Fry's departure

Col U at home to clinch the LDV Semi-final and our first visit to the Millennium

Oxford at home - 6-1 with a Mooney hat-trick

Millennium Stadium - League 2 Play-off Final

West Ham at home - 1-0 Bretty Angell

I'm sure there's so many more!!

Winning the Play-off last year was special.

Beating the Scum to go to Mill Stad was also a bit special

'The' Newcastle game

Bury away to win promotion - my first ever away day

*Need a bit more time for the last one - will edit in later

tounge.gif

Here is mine (excluding Playoff final obviously), but again in no particular order;

1) Leyton Orient 3-0.

It was Alan Little's first game in charge and Neil Campbell scored twice in the first half and then Coleman wrapped it up in the second. Went home on the open top bus.

2) Chesterfield 4-3.

Just a superb game of football, results were against us from around the country at half-time, but winning 4-3, after thinking we'd blown it was unbelieveable, and Swansea conceded in the last couple of minutes. Touch.

3) Scarborough 2-1.

First game of the season 97-98 I think, and we were one nil down at half time (terrible Coleman mistake) and then scored twice in the second half. Found a tenner aswell when we scored as everyone went so mental. Again, touch - especially as I was on £5 per week pocket money at that time.

4) Maccesfield 2-1.

Morley put that 1-0 up and Alan McCormack scored twice to put us top, one in the last minute. Classic - 900-1000 Blues away midweek in Cheshire - excellent effort.

5) Col******r 3-2.

LDV Southern-section final 1st leg, crazy night. 1-0 down, 3-1 up. Also my birthday and a decent night out in Col******r followed. Decent until we (I) got so boll.oxed that I let my anti-Col U feelings known and my mate got bottled. However, the game was a touch.

Worst Ever Away Games

1) Grimsby Away 5-1
2)Grimsby Away 1-1

A 4-0 win over QPR on a very cold Tuesday night. There could have only been a few thousand shrimpers, in fact I think there were more QPR fans packed out in the North stand.

Great atmosphere though and we couldn't believe we thraseh QPR......Consatine opener, Steve Clark wondor goal and a Broughton brace!

1. My first ever game (beating Birmingham 2-1 at home in the Div 3 promotion season)

2. League Two playoff final - pure joy.

3. Hartlepool 2 - 4 Southend, Dec 1998 - the most wonderfully surreal game I'll ever see.

4. Col******r 2 - 3 Southend, LDV First Leg 2003. The moment, perhaps, when this side proved that they really believed in themselves.

5. Southend 4 - 2 Swansea. Probably the best game I've ever seen at the Hall, both sides were simply awesome that day; and a star, young Freddy, was born.

biggrin.gif

My first ever game 87/88 season I think. 0-0 against Walsall and David Crowns home debut.

The Newcastle game.

Blackpool at home poss 87/88 again. We had to win to stay up in old Div 3. We spanked them 4-1

Col Ewe away 89/90? The season Col Ewe got releagted to no league.

The play off final

Special mentions must go to Everton away in 3rd round of fa cup, Luton at home in fa cup maybe four seasons ago. Think we won 2-1 Bramble scoring winner, Brentford and Yeovil at home this season were a bit special.

I did something similar for Shrimperzone front page piece last year. Here goes...

1. Southend 2-0 Lincoln, League Two Play-Off Final, May 28th 2005. Not one that requires a great deal of explanation. As we entered extra-time, we passed the five-hour mark of being goal-less at the Millennium Stadium and I was getting very nervy. But Freddy and Jupp made it alright. I swear the stand was actually shaking as we all jumped up and down like mad.

2. Southend 1-0 Derby, Littlewoods Cup, September 22nd 1987. Struggling at the bottom of the old (old) Div 3, we had no chance against top flight Derby County. Only we did – Roy McDonough slots a penalty past Peter Shilton and we hold on for a great win.

3. Leyton Orient 0-2 Southend, Division Three, January 20th 2001. Who let the Abbey out? Great win against a team we never seemed to beat. Leon Johnson (remember him?) played a blinder too.

4. Blackpool 2-0 Southend, LDV Vans Trophy Final, March 21st 2004. Yes, we lost. Yes we played poorly. But I never thought I’d see us play in a national final. Little did I know that the Millennium would become our second home over the next 14 months.

5. Southend 1-1 Col******r, LDV Vans Trophy Area Final, February 17th 2004. The relief, the relief!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Mar. 09 2006,11:20)]Special mentions must go to Luton at home in fa cup maybe four seasons ago. Think we won 2-1 Bramble scoring winner
We won 3-2, with Tes netting the winner in the 86th minute with an overhead kick, shortly after Luton had equalised through Ahmet Brkovic. Brkovic had given himself space to finish after the most blatant foul I've ever seen on the covering defender, Leon Cort - he pushed him over with both hands in his back. Unbelievable!

suspect.gif

I remember sitting their open-mouthed at the injustice of it all, until the ball came up the other end of the pitch and Tes scored the winner. Magic.

biggrin.gif

Matt

Thats the one. I remember clambering all over my Dad sat next to me trying to get a better view of Brambles overhead kick. Thats the only time I have ever experienced the slow motion effect at a football match.

In no Particular order

Milstad, Play off Final
West Ham at home
Liverpool Home
ANFIELD
Newcastle at Home New years day 1992 Top of Div 2

With Bolton 5-2 in a S**t season a close 6th

The destruction of Yeovil and Brentford at home this year I would class as the seasons reinforcement of what its all about, hopefully these will be trumped later !!

Circa 78 Liverpool FA Cup drew 0-0 Great crowd , great performance

Circa 1970 Villa FA Cup won 1-0 Big crowd beat a resurgent Villa under Docherty

Bury away - promotion to the "Big Time " at last

West Ham 1-0 Great night beating our " neighbours "

Play Off Final - Thought we were going to be disappointed
AGAIN

So many more , esp beating Birm under Fry

Swindon away in the FA Cup 1969 - won 2-0 this Swindon team beat Arsenal 3-1 in the Leagu Cup a final a few weeks later.

Newport in the league around 1977/78 we were 0-2 down until Tony Hadley scored, with 2 goals from Gerry Fell we won 4-2, much to the astonishment of all those who buggered off early to the pub.

Liverpool at home in the snow and the replay at Anfield.

Beating Orient 5-1 with Richard Cadette scoring 4 on his debut against his former club.

Too many more to mention, Newcastle at home, Sunderland away and an honourable mention for last Saturday at Col******r. Plus of course the LDV & play off finals.

1. Vs Lincoln Play Offs 2005 2-0
2. Vs Col******r LDV 2004 3-2
3. Last saturday
4. Vs brentford 2006 4-1
5. 2nd half Vs Yeovil 2005 4-1

My top 5 :-

Bury away - against the odds win after "Pat Scully is an international" was sent off in the 1st half. A great day that no one wanted to end. Was it just me or did the tannoy man at Gigg Lane ask the Southend players and fans to leave the pitch / ground as the celebs were going on for so long ??

Lincoln Play Off final - such a sweet moment especially after the two LDV defeats

Then for me three from Wet Spam 1-0 at home, the Col U 2nd leg in the LDV, Cadette's 4 goal debut (my first hero !!), Aldershot 10-1, Torquay 7-0 in the same comp the same year when it was 0-0 at half time, beating Newcastle to go top on NYD or Fry's return and defeat with Brum.

League 2 playoff final

4-0 QPR in the LDV

Col Ewe 3-2 area final

4-2 Swansea Hello Freddy

4-1 Yeovil, finally beat them

So many more in my head aswell though

Mine (in no particular order):

1. oxford at home 6-1 with a mooney hat trick (my first ever sufc game!)

2. league two playoff final

3. swansea at home 4-2 what a game!!

4. ldv second leg against Col******r 1-1

5. boston united at home 4-2 with cort getting three

Back