• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

5 Players who made you fall in love with Southend and Football

Purely because they was in the team when I got my first season ticket.

Danny Gay

David McSweeney

Kevin Maher

Damon Searle

Barrington Belgrave

Mark Rawle

I know I named 6 but had to put Maher in as he's my all time favourite player

Has anybody mentioned Paul Roberts - left back in the 80s I think.

Not an obvious choice but he used to come over to the fans and chat with the North Paddock when he had a few seconds. And that provided a real link between him and us.

I remember one 50/50 crunching tackle that made my fillings shake and where the opponent went flying and Roberts simply came over to take a throw in and said a few words as if nothing had happened.

That same legitimate tackle would probably have both players sent off in the current game.

I still remember it now even though it was 30+ years ago.

Southend
1. Ricky Otto
2. Jabo Ibehre
3. Stan Collymore
4. Phil Whelan
5. Tes Bramble

Non-Southend
1. Dennis Bergkamp
2. Gazza
3. Gianfranco Zola
4. Gary Lineker
5. Des Walker

Phill Chisnall
Eddie Clayton
Stan Collymore
Freddy Eastwood
Adam Barrett

Subs

Alan Moody
Sammy McCrory
Ray White ( He was my a good friend and in my class at School)
Steve Tilson
Harry Threadgold

The original love story for me:
Brett Angell (tempted to type it 5 times)
Steve Tilson
Chris Powell
Andy Ansah
Paul Sansome

About the same time I was ‘falling in love’ with David Platt
Gary Linekar (been building for 4 years)
Stuart Pearce
Des Walker
Chris Waddle

Back