• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

5 Players who made you fall in love with Southend and Football

Great thread.

Southend
1. David Crown
2. Martin Ling
3. Paul Clark
4. Steve Tilson
5. Spencer Prior

Non-Southend
1. Gazza
2. Lineker
3. David Platt
4. Des Walker
5. Pavarotti (if you haven't already realised this is an ode to Italia '90)

Stan
Freddie
Crownie
Ricki

And in this time of calamity comes the new kid on the block who gets excitement level up when he gets on the ball Charlie K.

Heroes of other teams and yesteryear.

Pat Jennings
Thierry Henri
Stan
, again, and at L'pool and Nott F.
Rodney Marsh
George Best.

Actually scrap that second answer I'm going for

Andre Kana-Biyik
Emmanual Kuende
Victor N'Dip
Claudio Cannigia
Benjamin Massing

Southend:

Alan Moody
Terry Nicholl
Stuart Parker
Steve Yates
Neil Freeman

Non Southend:

Pele
Bobby Moore
Peter Bonetti
George Best
Billy Bremner (just very memorable, not that I particularly liked him!)

Sorry I know this is off topic, but I see George Best's name appearing a few times, anyone remember his one and only appearance at RH for Bournemouth? An otherwise boring 0-0, he was overweight & unfit (& probably drunk) & still had more class in his big toe than the other 21 players on the pitch. Barely left the centre circle & just sprayed passes around.

Anyway, here's my first 5 truly memorable shrimpers:

Alan Moody
Bill Garner
Colin Morris
John Burridge (on loan but what a keeper and entertainer)
Ron Poutney

Non-Shrimpers:

George Best
Pat Jennings
Martin Chivers
Gazza
Kenny Dalglish

Southend:

Darryl Flahavan
Adam Barrett
Kevin Maher
Freddy Eastwood
Barry Corr

Non-Southend:

Thierry Henry
Ronaldinho
Roberto Carlos
Cristiano Ronaldo
Lionel Messi

Of those two lists I think I’d probably credit Freddy the most for my love of Southend and Ronaldinho the most for my love of football in general. I used to be in absolute awe of Ronaldinho. Huge amount of skill, huge amount of technical ability, likeable and one of the most entertaining to watch.

Well, I selected mine based on my first experience of watching Southend, so my first couple of seasons. Seems others have gone for their favourite all time 5 players. Nevertheless, an interesting thread and a great read.

Well, I selected mine based on my first experience of watching Southend, so my first couple of seasons. Seems others have gone for their favourite all time 5 players. Nevertheless, an interesting thread and a great read.

Yes, mine were from my first couple of seasons too.

Mine were from different eras, teams and some where as seen as a young'un, others as a reborn follower. I have never been a non attending supporter but there have been some lean years when the call to go to games (as in under Bond) has been hard to remain enthusiastic.

Back