• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

5 Players who made you fall in love with Southend and Football

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
I have stolen this from Facebook, don’t really like all that ****e on Facebook but thought it would be a good post for here.

Let’s have your 5 Southend Players and 5 non Southend Players:

Southend 5:
1. Scott Forbes (Obviously!)
2. Martin Carruthers - His goals
3. David Lee - His hair and style of play.
4. Martyn Booty - He said hi to me once, the first footballer to do that.
5. Andy Woodman - His relationship with the fans in the South Stand was brilliant, a real character.

Non Southend:
1. Ryan Giggs - I worshipped him and wanted to be like him as a footballer, I even had the Ryan Giggs sun ball. (If you don’t know what that is google it, ridiculous idea and yes it did hurt!)
2. Paul Scholes - Such a talented player and I loved his tackling even if it was terrible and usually lead to a card.
3. Paolo Di Canio - Hate to admit it as he was a spammer but he oozed class and that goal against Wimbledon was one of the greatest in Premier League history.
4. Francesco Totti - My like of AS Roma came from watching the great man play and someone who I always enjoyed watching. A true great and a one club man.
5. Michael Owen - That goal he scored against Argentina!

I assume by the thread title it’s the players who were initial faves rather than all time ones. So just based this on my first couple of years of going to games.
Southend -
1. Paul Clark
2. Richard Cadette
3. Steve Phillips
4. Glenn Pennyfather
5. Roy McDonough
Non Southend -
1. John Barnes
2. Ian Rush
3. Diego Maradona
4. Gary Lineker
5. Glenn Hoddle

I assume by the thread title it’s the players who were initial faves rather than all time ones. So just based this on my first couple of years of going to games.
Southend -
1. Paul Clark
2. Richard Cadette
3. Steve Phillips
4. Glenn Pennyfather
5. Roy McDonough
Non Southend -
1. John Barnes
2. Ian Rush
3. Diego Maradona
4. Gary Lineker
5. Glenn Hoddle

Yes it’s exactly that, the players who initially made you fall in love with the game.

Been watching for a while, so not easy. Not in any particular order.

1. Bill Garner
2. Spud Taylor
3.Freddy Eastwood
4.Stan Collymore
5.Bilel Mohsni

Non-Southend

Bestie
Gazza
Pele
Cryuff
Shearer

Alan Moody
Ron Pountney
Derek Spence
Mervyn Cawston
Anton otulakowski (the throw in thing amazing).

George Best
Pele
Johann Cruyff
Malcom McDonald
Kenny Dalglish
(So many I could have named)

David Crown
Chris Powell
Paul Clark
Peter Butler
Spencer Prior

Neville Southall
Andy Gray
Trevor Steven
Graeme Sharp
Kevin Ratliffe

Tough one.

1) Mike Marsh. (Best Player to wear a Southend Shirt)
2} Micky Stead. (My First Southend United Hero)
3) Mark Gower. (What a Player Southend United's Most underrated Player)
4) Stan Collymore. (I chaired him off at Huddersfield. What a Player, Enough Said)
5) Paul Clark (Mr Southend United)

Special Mention Freddy Eastwood.

Not Southend.
Chopper Harris. Chelsea.
George Best. Man United.
Peter Osgood. Chelsea.
Pele.
Bobby Moore. Ex Southend United Manager and a Wet Spammer.

Southend:

1. Paul Sansome
2. Peter Butler
3. David Crown
4. Paul Clark
5. Chris Powell

Non-Southend

1. Ray Clemence
2. Kevin Keegan
3. Glenn Hoddle
4. Kenny Dalglish
5. Johan Cruyff

David Crown - great goalscorer for Blues as I grew up.
Chris Powell - loved his personality and relationship with the fans. Fantastic loyalty before finally getting the move he deserved. He came round to my house in deepest Kent one weekend to give me and my family free tickets for a match back in 94!
Freddy Eastwood - I was excited every time he got on the ball. Unbelievable ability.
Stan Collymore - nothing more to be said.
Mark Bentley - I love a non league signing and just loved his all action, committed style of play. Was gutted when he left.

Jesper Olsen - the flying dane. One of the first players I remember watching.
Gary Speed - great player and man. Shed a tear when the news of his suicide broke.
Mark Hughes - tough man. Always came up with the goods.
Stuart Pearce - loved those chants of psycho and that look on his face after one of those bone crunching challenges!
Rick Holden - loved his wing play. He would always dig out a cross even from the tightest of spaces.

Southend;
1. Billy Best
2. Alan Moody
3. David Crown.
4. Tony Hadley.
5. Mervyn Cawston.

Non Southend;
I thought I'd go for players, I remember playing against us.

1. Bobby Charlton (past his best I know , but what a legend)
2.George Best (same)
3.Lee Trundle
4. Alan Mayes
5. Ted McDougal

Southend:

1. Darryl Flahavan
2. Adam Barrett
3. Bilel Mohsni
4. Mark Gower
5. Freddy Eastwood

Non-Southend

1. Peter Schmeichel