• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News 50+1 Ownership Petition - add your signature on Gov.uk

I see this as a waste of time, the Government have no right to say who owns a company unless they're funded by the Gov, it's a complete waste of time.
While i am not particularly in favour as i do not think it will work for clubs here, it isnt about ownership but voting on what goes on at the club. Although they are fairly closely related

Not getting my hopes up at all but you have to start somewhere...

Dear Andrew

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Enforce the “50+1” Rule for professional football club ownership in the UK”.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/583310

The debate is scheduled for 14 June 2021.

Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

Good to see nearly 107,000 people signed in no time at all, at least it keeps the issue alive and as a National debate with a Parliamentary session geared to it ,and more reporting of the state of football damaged by a number of dreadful , awful greedy owners

Pretty sure this would be null and void as under Fifa and uefa statute government interference in football is not allowed. It's up to the FA, Premier league, efl, national league etc.. As governing bodies to enact rule and law change. The government could make suggestions but they could not pass laws or rules to make it happen.
Ironic it's come from a man city fan, a club owned by a state, with people (especially at uefa) just waiting for a bit of an accountancy slip to show how Abu Dhabi taxpayers money is being used to fund the club, so they can chuck them out of all competitions and strip them of their titles.

I cannot, in all good conscience, sign a petition that attacks the individuals rights. This is not democracy, it is mob rule. 'Yes, you may own the club, shelled out millions, fulfilled a dream, but me, Harry and our mates want it our way!'

Fans, some at least, will love the idea. I hate it. The notion is to thwart entrepreneurship, which in turn will reduce investment and destroy innovation. In football, the clubs with the biggest fan base and income, will head the table so predictably and the poorer sides will just make up the procession.

What is so special about football? Yes we love it but I also love a curry. You tell the guy down the takeaway his customers are having a majority say in his business and see what you get. The customers can influence by not buying the guys curry. If they want to dictate then they should buy the place.

Go tell Barclays the customers are now in control. Laugh my fat arse off! Football cannot have a different business model to the rest of enterprise.

This is the madness of the football fan. We all want better. We all think we know better. Then we hear fans 'demanding' RM do this or that, making comments like 'we have the right to know'. I think a lot of fans need to wind their neck in.

If you want to control, earn the right, buy the right and then see how long you will listen to the fans who want to dictate.

I cannot, in all good conscience, sign a petition that attacks the individuals rights. This is not democracy, it is mob rule. 'Yes, you may own the club, shelled out millions, fulfilled a dream, but me, Harry and our mates want it our way!'

Fans, some at least, will love the idea. I hate it. The notion is to thwart entrepreneurship, which in turn will reduce investment and destroy innovation. In football, the clubs with the biggest fan base and income, will head the table so predictably and the poorer sides will just make up the procession.

What is so special about football? Yes we love it but I also love a curry. You tell the guy down the takeaway his customers are having a majority say in his business and see what you get. The customers can influence by not buying the guys curry. If they want to dictate then they should buy the place.

Go tell Barclays the customers are now in control. Laugh my fat arse off! Football cannot have a different business model to the rest of enterprise.

This is the madness of the football fan. We all want better. We all think we know better. Then we hear fans 'demanding' RM do this or that, making comments like 'we have the right to know'. I think a lot of fans need to wind their neck in.

If you want to control, earn the right, buy the right and then see how long you will listen to the fans who want to dictate.
Its not customers is shareholders! How many shares does the Chairman and CEO of Barclays own, I guess between them less that 1%....they still run the Company though. And these 'football shares' won't have a value you can't buy and sell them for cash or earn a dividend - they just allow you to vote once a year at the AGM.
But it's a moot point - football doesn't run like a business, it's a lose maker and needs wealthy people to prop it up.

I'd like to see the German model over here. At the moment every club is dependent on the whim of their owners. Man U and Arsenal are unhappy at their owners and hope for someone else. Everyone hopes that a new owner with unlimited funds and the desire to spend it all on success. Instead there should be a structure whereby it isn't just down to the owner themselves. Germany is a thriving capitalist economy, fans can stand and drink their beers, they pay peanuts for tickets and even get free transport.

It is a massive problem that Bayern win every year, but the fans who go every week have many things we can only dream of. So, on balance, I'm in favour of it.

Now, how we get from here to there is another matter. But if signing this petition signals public support for moves to that, over time and without seizing anyone's property/money, then I think that is a positive thing.

In Germany, until 1998, all clubs were not-for-profit organisations. Then, when it was accepted for people to privately own the clubs, the 50+1 rule was brought in. In England clubs are privately owned and any imposed rule, such as 50+1, would never stand up legally. We would probably have to nationalise all clubs and then introduce or impose whatever regulations we want. It ain't going to happen.

I wont sign dont think its feasable, what i would like and im not going to dictate ,is to see that RM is changing his ways and allowing his staff to do their jobs without interference ,,set a budget and allow them to work within this budget ,for that to happen we need a CEO and should have hired one a long time ago.

Signed.

For me it's not about the legal feasibility of a particular proposal. It's about showing the fans concerns about the current ownership model of our football clubs. The politicians need to be made aware of this because the mass extinction of multiple EFL clubs would, and should, become a political issue.

Last edited:
Just has this response the 100,000 signatures was exceeded so the petition will be debated:

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Enforce the “50+1” Rule for professional football club ownership in the UK”.

Government responded:

The European Super League proposals demonstrated now is the right time to launch the fan-led review of football governance. This will be a comprehensive examination of the English football system.
As announced in the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport’s Oral Statement on 19 April, Tracey Crouch MP will Chair a fan-led review of governance and will engage extensively with fans to ensure their experiences are at the centre of the review. As a former Minister for Sport, and a football fan herself, she is well-placed to deliver on this key aspect. Fans are the lifeblood of the sport, and the Government is committed to ensuring that their views are at the heart of the review.
We are currently working through the structure of the review with the Chair, including the timeline for publication of the report, and will provide updates shortly. Given the seriousness of these issues, we will be looking to move at pace on this. As the Terms of Reference demonstrate, Ministers and officials have collated ideas and issues from the numerous meetings with stakeholders over the past year. This will be a thorough examination of the English football system looking at issues of ownership, governance and funding through the football pyramid, including the women’s game and lower league football. As part of this, the review will be exploring governance structures in other countries, including ownership models, and whether any aspects can be beneficially translated to the English league system. It will also examine progress against the Government’s Expert Working Group on Football Supporter Ownership and Engagement, which set out recommendations to improve engagement, such as structured dialogue between clubs and fans.
We know how important this review is for fans across the country and will ensure that their voices are at the heart of the review.
Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport
Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/583310?reveal_response=yes

This petition has over 100,000 signatures. The Petitions Committee will consider it for a debate. They can also gather further evidence and press the government for action.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

Back