• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question 50 Players were always meant to be chasing but never actually signed.

DTS

The Business
1) Rudi Vata.

I recall as a boy reading that we were on the verge of signing Rudi Vata the then Albanian National team captain from Celtic.

I dont quite know why we were linked with him but then a week or so later I read in the echo that the manager at the time had been up in Scotland on a scouting mission.

I was sure for weeks that is was a done deal and he would soon be lighting up Roots Hall with his Eastern European flair but as it was it never happened. I was gutted.

2) Pawel (sp?) Abbott.

His name always popped up at some point for about 3 seasons in a row.

7. Jonny Ekstrom (1995 ish)

Recall us trying to sign thr then Swedish world cup star in the Colin Murphy days. Bobby Houghton I think knew him and word was it was a done deal. Needless to say it wasnt.

7. Jonny Ekstrom (1995 ish)

Recall us trying to sign thr then Swedish world cup star in the Colin Murphy days. Bobby Houghton I think knew him and word was it was a done deal. Needless to say it wasnt.

... but soon forgot about Ekstrom when a certain debutee made an appearance against notts county - never forget that debut brace from Sir Stan ...

Last edited:
Wasn't the goalscoring legend that was Steve Anthrobus was it?

I saw him play for Brentford v. Oxford (for Oxford) and I have to say he was possibly the poorest player I have ever seen that was paid actual money to play football. Only got involved when fouling a player. Amazed he didn’t get sent off. No ability, no pace, couldn’t hit a barn door, no nothing.

In fact, his goal scoring ratio, as a striker, has to be seen to be believed: 35 goals from 244 full appearances. Gulp! How can you maintain a full professional career with a ratio like that? :stunned:

I read somewhere (was it a thread on here?) that in fact he actually signed for us, but for some reason it was the shortest signing in the club (and probably any club’s) history as he was on his way a few hours later, for reasons that are not entirely clear.

Shame!

Back