• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 50 Years ago Today- 1971-72 Promotion Season - Wednesday 3 May 1972 - We finish as runners up! - Southend United 2 Gillingham 2

Keith.F ..what a legend...always the end off a Leigh Comm joke...good bloke...as you lads sang at Roots Hall ( going to
to Brentford away71-,72),,,FRANKLIN IS OUR LEADER"
Would not change a second from those days
His still alive today, now aged 70 & lives in Westcliff. And still as 'daft as a brush'!.

Last footnight !! maybe...but tonight,6 Sept 1972, we Super Blues played that other "Blues"...Southend v Chelsea..another night never to be forgotten.
IIRC,we were nearly as good as Chelsea,only being beaten 1-0.And CFC had a real good team.
The Pak/ North bank were FANtastic,one of the greatest ever nights standing there along with the Villa and QPR cup games.
I cannot remember who we beat to play CFC though

Just a note...but today 50 years ago....inbetween the seasons,the highpoint was Essex week at Chalkwall Park.
Today we played Middlesex in the Sunday league..JPL or what ever it was called.We always got a big crowd in.
As usual a crowd of North Bankers stood together and watched the game.
During the game,the late great KEITH BOYCE got a hattrick.When he bowled the next ball after it (4th ball)..the Msex batsman took no chances and tapped the ball foreward...even before the crowd could start to applaud KB....our mate and legend...DAVIE CR&&P shouted out....
COME ON BOYCIE PULL YOU WEIGHT....and the whole crowd who heard him burst out laughing...a TOP lad David.Cr&mp
What a cricketer Keith Boyce was.RIP legend.

Last footnight !! maybe...but tonight,6 Sept 1972, we Super Blues played that other "Blues"...Southend v Chelsea..another night never to be forgotten.
IIRC,we were nearly as good as Chelsea,only being beaten 1-0.And CFC had a real good team.
The Pak/ North bank were FANtastic,one of the greatest ever nights standing there along with the Villa and QPR cup games.
I cannot remember who we beat to play CFC though
We beat Aldershot in the League Cup 1st round to set the Chelsea game up . As you say it was one of the greatest nights at Roots Hall with Chelsea relieved to hear the final whistle , Chelsea scored after 16 minutes and after that Southend battered them . Every Southend player was a hero and it would be unfair to single any out . I do think that had Gary Moore not been out injured he would of tipped the game in Southends favour .

We beat Aldershot in the League Cup 1st round to set the Chelsea game up . As you say it was one of the greatest nights at Roots Hall with Chelsea relieved to hear the final whistle , Chelsea scored after 16 minutes and after that Southend battered them . Every Southend player was a hero and it would be unfair to single any out . I do think that had Gary Moore not been out injured he would of tipped the game in Southends favour .
Those of us there will surely remember Bill Garner’s superb performance that night.
I think I’m right in saying Chelsea bought him from us the very next day for an enormous fee—£100,000.

I mainly recall Chelsea’s stunning strip that night (red, white and green) Chris Garland’s hair and the Chelsea mob bothering the North Bank.

Those of us there will surely remember Bill Garner’s superb performance that night.
I think I’m right in saying Chelsea bought him from us the very next day for an enormous fee—£100,000.
We must not forget how Brian Albeson kept Peter Osgood in his pocket all night long .

Back