• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 50 Years ago Today- 1971-72 Promotion Season - Wednesday 3 May 1972 - We finish as runners up! - Southend United 2 Gillingham 2

Piekalnietis ?? I have no memory of him whatsoever....

He was 19 when he signed in April 71 - a centre half played the last game of the season against Lincoln and that was it.

The squad photo has just 16 players in it with Peter Taylor and Peter Hunt, Dave Barnett and George Duck teenagers at the start of the season- so only 11 senior players.

In the season just Derek Bellotti, Dennis Booth and Peter Woods joined in February/March 72 and Brian Myton made one substitute appearance on loan.

9 of the 12 started more than 40 games plus two goalkeepers.

How many players do we have on the books this season?- and that’s not enough!

It was a very enjoyable drive back from Reading to Southampton.

Almost a home game!

Today’s Wessex men can nip to watch the Blues at Eastleigh where the great MFUROK inter mural team won the first division title in style (Eastleigh’s new ground was built on Wellington sports ground).

Thought Eastleigh had been at the same ground since the 50s when they left Swaythling ?

I always seem to think our most successful seasons were where we lost our first game. The stats probably won’t bear this out but it is always something that I have at the back of my mind starting a season.
4 opening day league defeats from our promotion seasons -

1971-72 Peterboro (A) L 0-2
1977-78 Reading (A) W 1-0
1980-81 Bury (A) W 2-1
1986-87 Peterboro (A) L 0-2
1989-90 York (H) W 2-0
1990-91 Huddersfield (A) W 2-1
2004-05 Cheltenham (H) L 0-2
2005-06 Port Vale (H) L 1-2

2014-15 Accrington (A) W 1-0

Details of the Peterborough game. I can post each game from 71-72 on its 50th anniversary if people are interested.

Saturday August 14, 1971 - Division 4
Peterborough Utd (0) 2 (Price 60', 84')
Southend Utd (0) 0
Venue:
London Road, Peterborough. KO: 3.00

Peterborough Utd: M Drewery, F Noble, J Duncliffe, D Oakes, E Brookes, J Carmichael, B Moss, P Price, J Hall, O Conmy, T Robson.
Southend Utd: J Roberts, K Lindsey (G Moore 29'), A Smith, D Elliott, B Albeson, D Barnett, T Johnson, B Best, B Garner, G Duck, R Ternent.

Match Report
It was back to square one for Southend United on Saturday when, at the London road Ground, they went down to two second-half goals in the opening game of the new season.

And although they never really deserved to win, United could have won or at least salvaged a point against opposition which never rose above mediocrity.

I say this even after taking into account the injuries which necessitated changes in the line up.

Skipper Joe Jacques had to cry off at the last minute, waving failed to recover from an injury received in mid-week and Dave Barnett came into the back four.

Matters were not improved when Keith Lindsey went off after a knock in the 23rd minute, came back for one kick five minutes later and was then carried off for good.

Gary Moore substituted and took his place in the mid-field three, with Ray Ternent dropping to full-back. And hard as the re-jigged formations tried, the absence of Jacques probably had the greatest effect on the result.

Modernisation has brought us sweepers-up, strikers, front-runners and block marking. But Blues (playing in red), were beaten by two goals which both came from what must be the most old-fashioned moves in the history of the game. In fact, they were carbon copies which proved just how effective the originals must have been.

A quick pass into the wide open space on the right wing found Bobby Moss who made little ground before centre-ing. Peter Price had crept up on the blind side of the defence as he moved in from the far post and neatly nodded the crosses past John Roberts. The first came right on the hour and the second was the killer punch six minutes from the end.

Mind you, Blues had gone out of the game so much after the interval that they were, by then, depending upon their defence to save them a point. Their only second-half effort had been a half-hit shot from Billy Best which was well off target.

Southend’s best opportunities had been in the first half and they should have taken the lead alter only eight minutes.

A Best shot rebounded off a defender to George Duck, standing in the clear at a slight angle. But Duck’s shot hit home ‘keeper Mick Drewery and the chance was squandered.

Five minutes later, Terry Johnson finished weakly after Bill Garner and Duck had combined to set the chance up for him. But it was still Johnson who produced the best effort of the half, just before the interval.

He cut in past three men in a quick run from the line only to see his final shot go the wrong side of the post into the side-netting.

Moss had missed the Posh’s best chance when he fired high over the bar from almost under the posts.

The Southend attack was practically non-existent in the second half. Duck and Garner rarely seemed to be on the same wave-length and build-ups occurred more through coincidence than design. And this despite the fact that Blues’ middle three had almost as much possession as the home engine room.

But whereas Peterborough’s Ollie Conmy nearly always found a colleague conveniently placed, Blues’ middle-men were too often left to go it alone. The net result was that however often Blues’ defenders played the ball out, it was coming back at them again before they had time to regroup.

Peterborough, too, overcame the conditions better than Southend. Water was lying on many parts of the surface after heavy downpours and referee Mr. Terry Bosi, from Codsall, made an inspection half-an-hour before the scheduled start before determining that play would be possible provided there was no more rain. There was, but not enough to stop the game going ahead.

Strangely enough, Blues adapted themselves the better early in the game but came under pressure as the Posh players began to hit their passes harder and wider when the ground began to dry out a little.

But whatever the conditions, Blues contributed in no small measure to their own defeat. They have another 45 league matches during which to mend the error of their ways!

This could be done with a tighter marshalling at the back, where Brian Albeson made an effective league debut by blocking out Jim Hall for long periods. Ternent looks a useful addition in mid-field with his appetite for work and Blues missed this punch when he had to drop to full-back.

But what is needed even more importantly on this display is an ideas-man plus crunch up front. I know Blues will never lose if they don’t concede goals but neither will they ever win if they fail to score them!

Last edited:
Details of the Peterborough game. I can post each game from 71-72 on its 50th anniversary if people are interested.

Saturday August 14, 1971 - Division 4
Peterborough Utd (0) 2 (Price 60', 84')
Southend Utd (0) 0

Team:
J Roberts, K Lindsey (G Moore 29'), A Smith, D Elliott, B Albeson, D Barnett, T Johnson, B Best, B Garner, G Duck, R Ternent.

Match Report
It was back to square one for Southend United on Saturday when, at the London road Ground, they went down to two second-half goals in the opening game of the new season.

And although they never really deserved to win, United could have won or at least salvaged a point against opposition which never rose above mediocrity.

I say this even after taking into account the injuries which necessitated changes in the line up.

Skipper Joe Jacques had to cry off at the last minute, waving failed to recover from an injury received in mid-week and Dave Barnett came into the back four.

Matters were not improved when Keith Lindsey went off after a knock in the 23rd minute, came back for one kick five minutes later and was then carried off for good.

Gary Moore substituted and took his place in the mid-field three, with Ray Ternent dropping to full-back. And hard as the re-jigged formations tried, the absence of Jacques probably had the greatest effect on the result.

Modernisation has brought us sweepers-up, strikers, front-runners and block marking. But Blues (playing in red), were beaten by two goals which both came from what must be the most old-fashioned moves in the history of the game. In fact, they were carbon copies which proved just how effective the originals must have been.

A quick pass into the wide open space on the right wing found Bobby Moss who made little ground before centre-ing. Peter Price had crept up on the blind side of the defence as he moved in from the far post and neatly nodded the crosses past John Roberts. The first came right on the hour and the second was the killer punch six minutes from the end.

Mind you, Blues had gone out of the game so much after the interval that they were, by then, depending upon their defence to save them a point. Their only second-half effort had been a half-hit shot from Billy Best which was well off target.

Southend’s best opportunities had been in the first half and they should have taken the lead alter only eight minutes.

A Best shot rebounded off a defender to George Duck, standing in the clear at a slight angle. But Duck’s shot hit home ‘keeper Mick Drewery and the chance was squandered.

Five minutes later, Terry Johnson finished weakly after Bill Garner and Duck had combined to set the chance up for him. But it was still Johnson who produced the best effort of the half, just before the interval.

He cut in past three men in a quick run from the line only to see his final shot go the wrong side of the post into the side-netting.

Moss had missed the Posh’s best chance when he fired high over the bar from almost under the posts.

The Southend attack was practically non-existent in the second half. Duck and Garner rarely seemed to be on the same wave-length and build-ups occurred more through coincidence than design. And this despite the fact that Blues’ middle three had almost as much possession as the home engine room.

But whereas Peterborough’s Ollie Conmy nearly always found a colleague conveniently placed, Blues’ middle-men were too often left to go it alone. The net result was that however often Blues’ defenders played the ball out, it was coming back at them again before they had time to regroup.

Peterborough, too, overcame the conditions better than Southend. Water was lying on many parts of the surface after heavy downpours and referee Mr. Terry Bosi, from Codsall, made an inspection half-an-hour before the scheduled start before determining that play would be possible provided there was no more rain. There was, but not enough to stop the game going ahead.

Strangely enough, Blues adapted themselves the better early in the game but came under pressure as the Posh players began to hit their passes harder and wider when the ground began to dry out a little.

But whatever the conditions, Blues contributed in no small measure to their own defeat. They have another 45 league matches during which to mend the error of their ways!

This could be done with a tighter marshalling at the back, where Brian Albeson made an effective league debut by blocking out Jim Hall for long periods. Ternent looks a useful addition in mid-field with his appetite for work and Blues missed this punch when he had to drop to full-back.

But what is needed even more importantly on this display is an ideas-man plus crunch up front. I know Blues will never lose if they don’t concede goals but neither will they ever win if they fail to score them!
What a team we had 50 years ago , Roots Hall became a fortress and we had one of the most exciting Southend United that we have had to follow in the 56 years I have supported Southend United and all players proud to wear the shirt .

Great thread. My first full season.
Given me an idea re running a 50th anniversary theme on suepa, we have virtually every squad member from that season in suepa, George Duck is one we don't but he was co commentating on Wealdstone games last season so if i can somehow get a ticket for Wealdstone this month I'll try and engineer a meet up with him
Might also see if i can get some of the team from that season to roots hall for a reunion.

Great thread. My first full season.
Given me an idea re running a 50th anniversary theme on suepa, we have virtually every squad member from that season in suepa, George Duck is one we don't but he was co commentating on Wealdstone games last season so if i can somehow get a ticket for Wealdstone this month I'll try and engineer a meet up with him
Might also see if i can get some of the team from that season to roots hall for a reunion.
It is a shame that two of the rocks of defence that season are sadly no longer with us, namely Joe Jacques and Brian Albeson.

Great stuff,
Looking foreward to match number two....
Keep it up SUFC_statto and LLBlue

I'm enjoying the match reports and memories. I guess I'm pushing my luck when I ask if anyone has any video of this team?

Can't remember too much about the season but was that around the time we started playing home games on a Friday evening?

For those of you interested in SUEPA stuff, a few stats from the 71/72 season from a SUEPA perspective:

- there were 21 players used that season by Arfur
- of those, three have certainly since passed away, namely Brian Albeson, Joe Jacques and Keith Lindsey
- in all likelihood one other has too, namely Peter Woods as after some help on the Doncaster fans forum I ended up finding the following link which really looks like him and sadly notes he assed away in 2011 (I contacted Just Giving but they have no forwarding contact): Peter Woods
- so that leaves 17 and all are SUEPA members bar George Duck, Jimmy Lumsden and Brian Myton
- George co-commentates on Wealdstone games so with a bit of luck if I can get a ticket for the match coming u there I'll be able to speak to him and sign him up
- I do have a lead on Bryan (the first player in football league history to be sent off on their league debut) but no rely yet so I need to chase that one up
- That leaves Jimmy Lumsden who is now out of the game and with no interest it seems in football, preferring his allotment instead. He is mates with David Moyes so I've asked Ben Clarkson to see if Moyes will talk to Jimmy (some of the leads we try and follow up can get a bit desperate but nothing ventured ....)
- so we have 14 SUEPA members from that season and having recently signed up Bernie Lewis we now have every player still alive who played in that Villa match
- Derek Bellotti, Dave Barnett and Peter Hunt have been back to Roots Hall thanks to SUEPA match day events so far and Billy Best visited just before SUEPA was launched

The other day someone mentioned to me the idea of the Trust getting some commemorative badges made up. Not my thing, and with more than enough other stuff to do I put the idea to one side, but there is a market for these, and one idea might be to have one re the 50th anniversary of the 71/72 season given it was our first ever EFL promotion. What do you think?

I will work on the idea of a 71/72 SUEPA match day event as soon as I know from the club what facilities I can have for these things this season, I'm in touch with Tom re that.

If anyone has any ideas of their own re commemorating 71/72 which SUEPA might perhaps be able to help with please do let me know

For those of you interested in SUEPA stuff, a few stats from the 71/72 season from a SUEPA perspective:

- there were 21 players used that season by Arfur
- of those, three have certainly since passed away, namely Brian Albeson, Joe Jacques and Keith Lindsey
- in all likelihood one other has too, namely Peter Woods as after some help on the Doncaster fans forum I ended up finding the following link which really looks like him and sadly notes he assed away in 2011 (I contacted Just Giving but they have no forwarding contact): Peter Woods
- so that leaves 17 and all are SUEPA members bar George Duck, Jimmy Lumsden and Brian Myton
- George co-commentates on Wealdstone games so with a bit of luck if I can get a ticket for the match coming u there I'll be able to speak to him and sign him up
- I do have a lead on Bryan (the first player in football league history to be sent off on their league debut) but no rely yet so I need to chase that one up
- That leaves Jimmy Lumsden who is now out of the game and with no interest it seems in football, preferring his allotment instead. He is mates with David Moyes so I've asked Ben Clarkson to see if Moyes will talk to Jimmy (some of the leads we try and follow up can get a bit desperate but nothing ventured ....)
- so we have 14 SUEPA members from that season and having recently signed up Bernie Lewis we now have every player still alive who played in that Villa match
- Derek Bellotti, Dave Barnett and Peter Hunt have been back to Roots Hall thanks to SUEPA match day events so far and Billy Best visited just before SUEPA was launched

The other day someone mentioned to me the idea of the Trust getting some commemorative badges made up. Not my thing, and with more than enough other stuff to do I put the idea to one side, but there is a market for these, and one idea might be to have one re the 50th anniversary of the 71/72 season given it was our first ever EFL promotion. What do you think?

I will work on the idea of a 71/72 SUEPA match day event as soon as I know from the club what facilities I can have for these things this season, I'm in touch with Tom re that.

If anyone has any ideas of their own re commemorating 71/72 which SUEPA might perhaps be able to help with please do let me know
Jimmy Lumsden did not play in 1971/72 season , Jimmy played in 1970/71 season .

Back