• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 50 Years ago Today- 1971-72 Promotion Season - Wednesday 3 May 1972 - We finish as runners up! - Southend United 2 Gillingham 2

Jaffa is still going strong and is still as daft as a brush , he got married a couple years ago and few old Leigh Comm all met up again some for the first time in over 40 years
7 weeks ago Jaffa, Bear ( Ollie's brother ) me & our 'other half's spent 3 days at Brighton, in the company of Paul Pacey & his missus.
As you say, he hasn't changed at all!.

thé Grimms coach left the ground around midnight. We spent a few hours in the bar before boarding the coach. The Driver refused to stop for a toilet break on the way up. I can still remember the agony I was in when we were allowed of the coach.
Thé coach stopped at Morecambe beach. I remember playing football there but I am sure the players hotel was a long way back from the beach.
Rowley excuses for losing was poor.

Billy is the best.You could well be right and you are right about AR excuses.
But we did get outside the players hotel and have a quick sing song.But that must have been about 06.00-07.00(maybe later) hours when most normal people are either at work or on there way to work

7 weeks ago Jaffa, Bear ( Ollie's brother ) me & our 'other half's spent 3 days at Brighton, in the company of Paul Pacey & his missus.
As you say, he hasn't changed at all!.
BBBL....you lot MUST have changed!!! You lot at Brighton...and nobody arrested !! Paul is now like me an OAP?
Last time i read he was "on the buses"??

Paul,like yourself and Leigh Comm stood always on the right hand side of the PAK.Looking towards the South bank...he was most of the time with CLEM??
How is Clem??Whats he doing now?
Not all Leigh Comm stood on the right , because of certian problems up Leigh Comm due to the aggro with some Southend the Leigh crew I was with stood on the right most of Leigh Comm stood right behind the goal . The Leigh crew on the right were the ones who went toe to toe with Millwall in the preseason friendly in Aug 71 when Millwall came in the North Bank .

Paul,like yourself and Leigh Comm stood always on the right hand side of the PAK.Looking towards the South bank...he was most of the time with CLEM??
How is Clem??Whats he doing now?
Last saw 'Clem' 2 years ago in Asda's, Shoebury. He's still recognizable, albeit a bit thin 'on top'!. And hadn't put any weight on either!.

Friday Evening 12 November 1971.

Back to Roots Hall and Friday night football with the visit of Exeter City. They were down in 17th place and we had won our last 5 home games so it looked very much a home banker and that's how it proved to be.

We were unchanged again. Exeter offered little and we got an easy 3-0 victory with 2 goals from Bill Garner and the other from Gary Moore. Garner had now got 10 goals from 17 games and was now showing why we paid £12,000 for him from Southern League Bedford Town 2 years earlier.

The crowd had dropped to 10,107 down from 12,426 at the previous home game. Aftr the weekend's games we had moved up to 3rd.

We now had the FA Cup Tie against Villa to anticipate the following Saturday.

Didn’t Exeter have full backs called Hooker and Hoare? Or did they come later (no pun remotely intended).
Exeter's full backs in the 3-0 defeat at Roots Hall in 1971-72 were Steve Stacey & Jimmy Blain, however moving forward to October 23rd. 1976 when Exeter City were beaten this time by 2-0 at Roots Hall the two full backs were in fact Allan Hooker & John Hore. with just 4,605 in attendance.

Friday November 12, 1971 - Division 4
Southend Utd (2) 3 (Moore 12', Garner 20', 77')
Exeter City (0) 0
Venue:
Roots Hall KO: 7.30
Attendance: 10,107

Southend Utd: J Roberts, R Ternent, A Smith, D Elliott, B Albeson, J Jacques, T Johnson, B Best (P Taylor 79'), B Garner, G Moore, B Lewis.
Exeter City: B Wilson, S Stacey (S Morris 84'), J Blain, G Parker, J Giles, M Balson, T Morrin, A Banks, F Binney, J Wingate, J Giles.

Match Report
The Exeter visitors were one of the poorest sides ever to visit Roots Hall. They had nothing at the back except resolution, no power at all in midfield and nothing up front but hope bred on optimism, writes ALF SMIRK.

They kept pegging away but remained in contention only because Blues failed to stretch their lead to the five or six goals to which they were entitled. In the entire 90 minutes, City only three times got anywhere near United’s goal.

John Giles brought the best out of John Roberts as the ‘keeper turned a pile-driver for a corner, the same player shot wide when put through the middle a few minutes later, and in the second half Graham Parker had a terrific shot from 20 yards turned around the post by Roberts.

But for the rest, it was all United, and the opposition were so poor that it must hive been extremely difficult for Blues players to keep their minds on the task in front of them. The result was a mere formality right from the start. It was just a question of how many!

United had forced four corners before they took the lead after 12 minutes. Dave Elliott centred from the right, Bernie Lewis pulled the ball back and Gary Moore belted it into the back of the net.

Another eight minutes and it was all over bar the shouting as Blues increased their lead. A Lewis corner as flicked in by Billy Best, cleared off the line by Steve Stacey and hammered back into the net by Bill Garner.

The scoring was completed after 77 minutes when a Terry Johnson shot hit a defender and Garner hammered the rebound into the roof of the net.

But for the most part it was just a question of United going through the motions. They even brought on Spud Taylor to replace Best after 79 minutes, Exeter replacing Stacey with Steve Morris five minutes later.

Strangely enough, over the weekend I was amazed at the number of United fans among the crowd of 10,107 who actually enjoy\\ed the game and thought United played quite well under the circumstances.

It may have looked different from my seat in the press box. There was little wrong with United’s back four, they had 99 per cent of the midfield possession and their strikers up front really struck.

In Johnson and Lewis Blues must have two of the best natural wingers outside the First Division. Even better, they are also using them as such! And with Garner in such form in the middle, it only needs Best to get back on the goal trail for this to be United’s promotion year.

In these days of prolific name-taking, it is worth recording that Birmingham referee Danny Lyden never once had to pull out the book to ask for autographs. He showed a most sensible approach and the game flowed much better thanks to his discretionary arbitration.

League Table
1636793494202.png
1636793742983.png

A chance to win seats for the FA Cup visit of Aston Villa to Roots Hall on Saturday November 20

Fifty years ago this week, the Evening Echo were offering three pairs of seats to the first three readers who supplied the most correct answers to the questions below. How well would you do? No internet cheating allowed!

1) Who scored Chelsea's winning goal in their 1970 Final Replay and against whom?
2) Name Preston's goalkeeper (still on their books) against West Ham in the 1964 Final.
3) Which players scored the three goals that gave Everton victory in the 1966 Final after they had trailed 2-0?
4) Who fielded this forward line in the 1962 Final and against whom: Connelly, McIlroy, Painter, Robson, Harris?
5) Which six clubs have appeared in two Finals since 1961-62?

And a tiebreaker - in no more than 15 words complete the following phrase - "I think Southend's improved form this season is due to...".

Winners will be revealed tomorrow...

None other than Dave Webb (v Leeds)
Not sure Jim Osborne - Goulden?
Trebeilko (sic)
Burnley v Spurs?
Tottenham Chelsea Leicester Leeds - maybe Everton ?

Back