• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 50 Years ago Today- 1971-72 Promotion Season - Wednesday 3 May 1972 - We finish as runners up! - Southend United 2 Gillingham 2

Monday August 23, 1971 - League Cup (R1 Replay)
Southend Utd (0) 1 (Garner 100')
Aldershot (0) 2 (Walton 104', Lindsey 108' (og))
After Extra Time
Venue: Roots Hall KO: 7.30
Attendance: 7,729
Referee: Clive Thomas

Southend Utd: J Roberts, K Lindsey, A Smith, D Elliott, B Albeson, J Jacques, T Johnson, B Best, B Garner, G Moore, R Ternent (P Taylor).
Aldershot: G Gurr, R Walden, J Grummett, R Joslyn, R Dean, H Bennett, R Walton, T Pearce, M Brodie, J Melia (S Melledew), J Sydenham.

Match Report
Southend United were deprived of a trip to Nottingham Forest in the second round of the Football League Cup when they were conned out of this first round replay at Roots Hall on Monday night. All the goals and most of the excitement came in extra time but Blues should have had it all wrapped up long before then, writes Aif Smirk.

Aldershot did not have one worthwhile goal attempt in the scheduled 90 minutes. In fact, they played as though they would accept any straw of opportunity that might come along by coincidence if not design.

But there was plenty of design in their approach, with player-manager Jimmy Melia using all the craft gained during his years in the game to general the proceedings.

The overall plan was simplicity itself! As long as we deny the opposition possession then they cannot possibly score. An own goal could have upset the applecart and it was ironical that it should have been a Southend own-goal which finally decided the issue.

But it was Mella’s plan, so ably executed, which kept the visitors in the game so long. Four, five and six passes were sprayed across the park and backwards, with goalkeeper Gerry Gurr seeing as much of the ball as anyone. But a forward pass was rarely released unless it had an odds-on chance of reaching one of their own players.

It was far from entertaining watching for the 7,729 spectators. but it proved very effective and, in the end, got Aldershot what they came for.

Apart from sharp bursts and shots from a long way out from Terry Johnson. Southend were forced to rely on long crosses to the far side of the box. Both Bill Garner and Gary Moore connected above a defender more times than they have done for many games. But once the ball was flicked on, the crunch died and the Aldershot defenders were left plenty of time to clear.

United’s best chance was probably five minutes before the end of normal time when a fast cross from Alex Smith was missed in the goalmouth by both Johnson and Garner sliding in a fraction short.

United Introduced Spud Taylor for Ray Ternent as the game went into extra time and in the 100th minute they went in front. Following a dummy run at a free-kick, Dave Elliott chipped to the far post and Garner powered in to head past Gurr.

Al this stage Melia took himself off and put on Steve Melledew. And Aldershot levelled four minutes later.John Sydenham floated a free-kick from the left to the far side of Blues’ penalty area and slackness in marking allowed Ron Walton to beat the defenders to the cross and head into the net.

The Aldershot winner three minutes into the second half of extra time was a tragedy for Keith Lindsey. Sydenham’s speculative shot was going well wide of the posts when it struck Lindsey’s outstretched boot and was deflected past the stranded John Roberts.

United threw everything into the final minutes and saw a Billy Best effort belted off the goal-line by a grateful Aldershot defender and a Johnson shot miss by inches.

Interesting that is the team minus Lindsey was the team that got us promotion and was more or less the team that was still playing together at the end of the season . Got our own back against Aldershot the following season when we beat them and were drawn at home to Chelsea .

Last edited:
Looks like 'Shots were pioneers of playing it out from the back (an approach that didn't go down well by the look of it). The famous Clive Thomas refereed this match.

The same 11 started the game - their third in 6 days.

We were blessed with Clive the whistle officiating.

The reward for winning the replay was a trip to First Division Nottingham Forest who weren’t the power they would become - in fact they finished 2nd bottom and got relegated. They still thrashed Aldershot 5-1 in the second round though - we would probably have given them a better game.

The crowd of 7,729 was the biggest in almost a year - only bettered by the Colchester derby game in March. The League Cup still drew crowds in those days.

Was at uni, so had to look up the number of games I went to: not as many as hoped for.
Are we commenting as the anniversary of each game arrives, or at any ole random time?

i believe every anniversary of each game.
Plenty of good memories this season

That’s the plan - armed with 44 of the 50 match programmes, my 72/73 Rothmans Football Yearbook and Peter Mason’s “The Official History of the Blues”. Add sufc_statto‘s match reports from the Standard, it should tell a good story.

It hasn’t warmed up yet - we’re still stuck in second gear.

Last edited:
That’s the plan - armed with 44 of the 50 match programmes, my 72/73 Rothmans Football Yearbook and Peter Mason’s “The Official History of the Blues”. Add sufc_statto‘s match reports for the Standard, it should tell a good story.

It hasn’t warmed up yet - we’re still stuck in second gear.
I have all 50 progs easily referable if you need anything.

I'd imagine Andrew would have all 50 programmes too.He's that sort of guy. :Winking:

Nope I missed 6 away games Hartlepool, Darlington, Workington, Barrow, Col U and Gillingham - never really collected programmes for games I didn’t go to.

Bit of a trek term time from Southampton - Col U and Gillingham were midweek evenings .

Saturday August 28, 1971 - Division 4
Hartlepool (1) 2 (Young 37', 49')
Southend Utd (1) 2 (Best 42', Johnson 65')
Venue: Victoria Park, Hartlepool. KO: 3.00
Attendance: 5,437

Hartlepool: M Gadsby, D White, L Ashurst, A Goad, B Green, G Potter, E Welsh, R Young (B Veart), K Ellis, M Clarke, N Warnock.
Southend Utd: J Roberts, K Lindsey, A Smith, D Elliott, B Albeson, J Jacques, T Johnson, B Best, B Garner, G Moore, R Ternent. Sub: Duck.

Match Report
What a great pity all United’s fans could not have been present at the Victoria Ground at Hartlepool on Saturday! They would never have believed these were the same 11 players who had done duty five days earlier as Aldershot dumped them out of the Football League Cup in the first round replay at Roots Hall. I actually saw them and still find it hard to believe, writes ALF SMIRK.

Gone was the uncertainty, indecision and the acceptance of playing second fiddle to opposition inferior in the individual and collective skills of the game. In their places were substituted ambition, adventure and even an eagerness to fight for every ball and keep in the hunt.

The players Cannot claim lack of vocal support and encouragement at Roots Hall as the reason for the difference in approach, because they achieved one of their best performances in this game before no more than about two dozen of the younger and loyal fans who had left Southend at five oclock that same morning.

The difference may have , been achieved through Manager Arthur Rowley’s psychological approach of giving players defeated by Aldershot a chance to redeem themselves or by the managerial ploy of pushing Billy Best into the front-running role which has left him top-scorer for Blues for the last three seasons and dropping Gary Moore to a mid-field position in which he thrive.

Whatever the reason, this was one game Blues (in white) never looked like losing; and this despite the fact that they were twice behind. But having seen them give up the ghost on so many occasions when going a goal down away from home, it was a pleasant surprise to see the way in which they fought back to equalise both times.

In fact, after their second equaliser, it was merely a question of whether they could net the clincher or Hartlepool hold out for a draw. The home side were much happier than United when the tension and pressure was relieved by the final whistle.

United might, with some justification, have felt incensed when they dropped a goal behind after 37 minutes. Up till then they had shown more ideas both back and front. They had contained in depth then struck quickly in breaks which immediately switched them over to attack. Twice Bill Garner had run well for through balls only to shoot narrowly wide on both occasions.

The Hartlepool goal was a three-time affair which could have ended up in anybody’s favour. Ken Ellis did well to power his header against the crossbar and John Roberts did equally well to smother Neil Warnock’s shot from the rebound. But Ron Young was poaching close in to stab the ball into the net with confusion all around.

Five minutes were all United needed to draw level again. Best calmly rounded a defender as he received a cross from the right, saw goalkeeper Nick Gadsby advance well forward off his line then accurately chipped a lob over Gadsby’s head Into the empty net.

It was unbecoming that a United lapse allowed Hartlepool to regain the lead four minutes after half-time. It was obvious, once Warnock got past Keith Lindsey on the left, that a centre was coming over. Blues’ defence moved across to cover yet still managed to leave Young on his own in the middle to head past Roberts.

But this was where the “new” United showed once again. They kept plugging away and were rewarded with another equaliser after 65 minutes. Best and Dave Elliott pounced on a defensive slip before leaving Terry Johnson clear to apply the finishing touch.

The rest of the game became a question of whether United could notch the winner or Hartlepool keep them out until the final whistle. While Blues held all the aces and were in complete control, Pool put up the shutters and settled for a division of the spoils.

League Table
1630106049304.png

Back to the League and an away game at Hartlepool -one of our longest trips.

Hartlepool had finished one off the bottom the previous season for the second year running and successfully applied for re-election - not uncommon those days. Between 1959/60 and 1963/64 they finished in the bottom 4 for 5 consecutive seasons and got re-elected every year. They had won promotion in 1967-68 the season after Clough left for Derby.
They did improve this season and managed to keep out of the bottom 4 and unlucky Barrow suffered.

5,437 turned up on Bank Holiday Saturday - the days match this season.

Hartlepool had signed a young left winger in the summer form Rotherham - his name Neil Warnock. - the second most famous manager to play for Hartlepool ?

An unchanged side, we would have hoped for 2 points but ended up settling for a draw. A long journey home and another match on Bank Holiday Monday coming up fast.

Thought you all might like to see this, sent to me yesterday by one of the two players previously missing from SUEPA but now tracked down and who I had a lovely chat with (news on SUEPA channels later when I disseminate my notes of a very long conversation).
The pic was taken at the start of the 71/72 season

IMG-20210827-WA0000 (2).jpg

Thought you all might like to see this, sent to me yesterday by one of the two players previously missing from SUEPA but now tracked down and who I had a lovely chat with (news on SUEPA channels later when I disseminate my notes of a very long conversation).

View attachment 16503

I reckon that’s at or near the end of the season. Derek Bellotti didn’t sign until February 72 and I think third from the right is Dennis Booth who again signed in February/March.

SUEPA's 323rd signing, and 15th of those still alive who played 71/72, is George Duck. George is the one with the hair sixth left in the pic I just posted

Full interview now up on SUEPA's Facebook page - check it out here

View attachment 16503
What a F---ing great team we had then , one of the best ever .

What a F---ing great team we had then , one of the best ever .

Agree, at least with that forward line and supported on the flanks by Bernie, Spud and TJ. And certainly at the back we had real steel, and some hard-working craft in the middle with Dennis and Dave

But arguably they could have been even better. Arfur and his sidekick had had great playing careers, but every player I've now spoken to from that time says how poor they were as coaches and almost non-existent as man-managers. With a little more effort from them then maybe we could have really achieved ...... who knows.

Back