• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 50 Years ago Today- 1971-72 Promotion Season - Wednesday 3 May 1972 - We finish as runners up! - Southend United 2 Gillingham 2

RAC route planner says 344 miles and 6hrs 6 mins. But 50 years ago the motorway network was still being built - so I guess probably an hour to an hour and a half longer plus stops. Didn’t the coach leave Friday evening to get there on time ?
I honestly can't remember, annoying! I'm sure Barrow away might have done, going through the lake district in early morning light rings some bells, & another season I think, I recall stopping off on an evening kick off at York at the Huddesfield - Sheffield Utd. derby, won by the home side 1-0, Frank Worthington got the winner, I decided to stand right behind the goal for some reason, the ground was packed!

Went to that game as well,with Brother Grimm coach.It left RH at midnight friday/sat. IIRC,only twice we did that,the other was Barrow away.
Dont remember anything of the game,but remember getting to RH about 23.00 hours and walking about in the dark with my mate SP,just enjoying walking around our ground.
Im sure by the time we left a few lads have had a few in the Shrimpers.
After the game,a mob of WTFC lads and bird`s walked towards our coach,looking rather threatening in there crombies,bleached jeans or "TONIC" trousers!!But nowt happened.
The ground and there "end"was rather tatty.
Also,two Leigh Comm lads hitched it to the game.One being Jaffa,but not sure who was the other.
But they got a lift back on Brother.G coach.
Jaffa and i think the other lad went straight to the back,with the older Back seat Boot Boys .
Jaffa,im sure,started and taught us that day,that that legendary song,which ALL the North Bank started to sing,maybe the next game.A song i have never forgotten...and after a few beers still sing !!

Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankley
Have you heard of the North Bank Highbury
Shank`s said NO i dont think so
But i`ve heard of the NORTH BANK SOUTHEND

Some might sing Southend North Bank
Only Southend...and also England..can get you up thinking,YEP,we will do this..only to be kicked again in the whotsits...

As for the BOG roll brigade..that was great.
I never saw a keeper,player,fan or animal hurt by a flying Andrex roll.
It seemed that those days when we scored(or not) bog rolls could be "airborne"now and then.
The young boys who sat on the wall(North bank) were told by the Police either get off or at least make sure both legs were on the North bank side of the wall(not pitch side).
The Keeper would throw the bog rolls(which had been thrown onto the pitch) into the North Bank net..some little lads would wait until the police walked past..then as they walked away would pick up the rolls passing them to the older lads,they would normally pass them back even further to the "PAK" who were dab hands BOG roll throwing.
Did try it at least twice,but as written before, i hit the roof of the North bank.

I honestly can't remember, annoying! I'm sure Barrow away might have done, going through the lake district in early morning light rings some bells, & another season I think, I recall stopping off on an evening kick off at York at the Huddesfield - Sheffield Utd. derby, won by the home side 1-0, Frank Worthington got the winner, I decided to stand right behind the goal for some reason, the ground was packed!
I was also at the Saturday evening match at Bootham Crescent but cannot remember if it was 1967-68 (2-2) or 1968-69 (1-1) but do remember the Youth Section coach was going to see Huddersfield v ************ in the afternoon and remember being told when we met up that evening there was lots of trouble at the match. However back then a group of regular away supporters always travelled to away matches with Bonzo a dustman from Laindon? in his famous old white van which was affectionately known as the Bonzo-mobile.
We also attended a match in Yorkshire that afternoon going to Hillsborough to see Sheffield
Wednesday draw 2-2 against Wolverhampton Wanderers before travelling up to York after the match. It is the only time I have been to Hillsborough and that afternoon we stood in the Leppings Lane End which many years later was the scene of the tragedy at the F.A. Cup Semi-Final match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

I was also at the Saturday evening match at Bootham Crescent but cannot remember if it was 1967-68 (2-2) or 1968-69 (1-1) but do remember the Youth Section coach was going to see Huddersfield v ************ in the afternoon and remember being told when we met up that evening there was lots of trouble at the match. However back then a group of regular away supporters always travelled to away matches with Bonzo a dustman from Laindon? in his famous old white van which was affectionately known as the Bonzo-mobile.
We also attended a match in Yorkshire that afternoon going to Hillsborough to see Sheffield
Wednesday draw 2-2 against Wolverhampton Wanderers before travelling up to York after the match. It is the only time I have been to Hillsborough and that afternoon we stood in the Leppings Lane End which many years later was the scene of the tragedy at the F.A. Cup Semi-Final match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.
Certain it was the 1-1, but that makes me 12, bloody hell, different times ?

Certain it was the 1-1, but that makes me 12, bloody hell, different times ?
Yes you are right 1968-69 it was, a 1-1 draw our goal was scored by Ian "Chico" Hamilton.
I have just checked the previous home match programme when we beat Exeter City 6-1, this was the match when the Exeter City manager Frank Broome complained about the very dark shirts we were wearing that season and that they had clashed with the referee's kit.
In the Exeter City programme it mention's in the Youth Section programme notes about the game at York City being played next Saturday night and taking in the Huddersfield Town v Sheffield United in the afternoon.

Reactions: TSG
Hitch hiking to Workington was a trek.
We Left On Friday early evening and first lift we got at the start of the A1 was all the way to Penrith. Second lift was to Keswick. We did not realise it was absolutely Baltic in the Lake District and we were absolutely freezing in our Levi Denim Jackets and jeans. Third lift we got was a lorry driver who could not quite understand why a couple of Southend teenagers would travel so far to watch their team. We got to Workinton about 4a.m. and he let us kip at his house and in the morning his missus made us bacon sandwiches.
Next stop the paint shop and the spraying began. The police pulled us over but we told them there were hundreds of Southend fans in the Town and it could have been any one of em! We had a drink in the home bar, I remember Southend playing in their Blue and white kit against the Red and white of Workington. There were about 100 hundred Workington Skinheads who spotted us in their main stand and came marching towards us. We were surely in for a good kicking but their was what looked like a garden gate separating the terrace from the main stand and a policeman standing by it. These brave hundred stopped at the sight of the policeman and went back to their place on the terrace.
Getting home we bunked on the brothers Grimm coaching tucking in on the back seats. At each stop at services the Brothers did a head count before each on going journey and the lads just piled their coats on top of us as we crouched down so we would not be counted.
Next up Exeter at home and then of course the infamous Villa game and pitch invasion!

I thought it was 1967-68. Checking the records, Sheffield Wedneday were at home to Wolves on September 30th 1967 and we were away at York the same evening.
What sticks in my mind is that Clive Leatherdale thought it would great fun to thumb it to Hillsborough and pinch a lift to York from the coach or Bonzo's van. We got stopped just outside Leicester Forest East Services on the M1 by a local policeman who then kindly gave us a lift to the Services. As a result of a long delay, we missed the Hillsborough game and turned up at Bootham Crescent for the evening game with York City. There were a couple of spare seats on the coach enabling us to get a free ride home. A few days later we received a Court Summons for allegedly walking on the Motorway. I wasn't having that so Clive and I duly travelled back to Leicester in his Standard 8 motor (took forever) and attended Court. Charge was read and I was invited to question the attending officer PC Jarman. I asked him to confirm he picked us up from the roundabout at the bottom of the Slip Road. He confirmed that was the case and I pointed out to the Court there were no roundabouts on Motorways. The case was dismissed and we were given Absolute Discharges ... happy days! ?
PS: Huddersfield v Blackburn Rovers was also September 30th 1967.

Last edited:

Seem to remember Bonzo as a driver.Certainly remember that white van of his.

In 1967 I remember three away trips on the Supreme Freezer Box to Darlington, Hartlepool and Workington. Leaving the Roots Hall car park at around 11.30pm on a Friday night. Saving Mickey Orr's cane from Darlo fans on the bridge near the ground following a 1-1 draw. Ian and I legging it from the groud at Hartlepool because a few young 'uns in front of us shouted "Who hung the monkey?" on the way out having won 1-0. Workington was great fun. We wandered into what we thought was the football ground only to discover it was the Rugby League ground next door. We decided to have the customary game of football using the shirts that were readily available. Blue and white hoops and red and white hoops as I recall. Unfortunately it was the Rugby League kit which we hastily removed when we were discovered! The football ground was less inviting with its surrounding picket fence and a mere 1,742 fans witnessed a 2-2 draw. They were long weekends as we arrived home around 5.30am Sunday morning ... knackered!

Pete "Bonzo" Valentine was a great bloke. Anybody within 100 yards of his white van would remember it the minute the rear doors opened!?
"Those were the days my Friend", we thought they never end.!! Following the team away back then was a weekend experience never to be missed and most certainly never ever will be forgotten. From the Friday meet and greet at the bowling alley on the pier (Bill whatever did happen to Audrey Knight?) to at least a dozen or so reprobates in the back of that old white van who are still around to this very day and living all over the world. No.1 priority was to avoid sitting in the front seat next to Bonzo mainly due to the engine cover being removed to stop the van overheating and getting covered in S*****/oil. Remember coming back from a very wet night in Wales, Wrexham I think?? and the windscreen wipers falling off and Bonzo had to keep his sliding door open and use the wiper manually. Win, Lose or Draw it truly was one of life's great adventures, and the company was pretty damn good as well. Lifelong friends made for ever and ever. Remember the Squashed Fig Biscuits Yuk!! something that I still hate to this very day.

Audrey Knight used to frequent the Three Monkeys in Southchurch Avenue, she was a large as life character. The regulars I remember were Barry Britton, Terry Walsh, Roger Jailbart and Brian Ford.

Bonzo gave me a couple of lifts, but I wasn't keen on those horrible biscuits you mentioned, or the fact that one of us had to stay awake to make sure he didn't fall asleep while driving! On the other hand, I never looked forward to the overnight coach trips if Billy Legg turned up. Ian and I said he could sit with us at the back providing he promised not to fart! Apart from the stench we reckoned you could fly a kite round his arse!
Great, great times. ?

Last edited:
Went to that game as well,with Brother Grimm coach.It left RH at midnight friday/sat. IIRC,only twice we did that,the other was Barrow away.
Dont remember anything of the game,but remember getting to RH about 23.00 hours and walking about in the dark with my mate SP,just enjoying walking around our ground.
After the game,a mob of WTFC lads and bird`s walked towards our coach,looking rather threatening in there crombies,bleached jeans or "TONIC" trousers!!But nowt happened.
Also,two Leigh Comm lads hitched it to the game.One being Jaffa,but not sure who was the other.
Jaffa and i think the other lad went straight to the back,with the older Back seat Boot Boys .
Jaffa,im sure,started and taught us that day,that that legendary song,which ALL the North Bank started to sing,maybe the next game.A song i have never forgotten...and after a few beers still sing !!

Only Southend...and also England..can get you up thinking,YEP,we will do this..only to be kicked again in the whotsits...

Our version of that song used to be :

Bertie Mee said to Don Revie
"Have you of the North Bank Highbury?"
Revie said, "I don't think so
But I've heard of the Seaside Aggro".

Talking of long trips, in our PL season in 2010/11 we played Sunderland away at Christmas and we BASIL lads were invited to join London Sunderland on their train trip from King's Cross.

They very thoughtfully put us in a carriage on our own but made the cardinal error of putting us right next to the bar. The look on their faces when they wandered up to the buffet an hour after departure to find it cleaned out was a joy to behold. And then we went and won 2-0. They didn't talk to us on the way back....

PAK66, so it was you and Jaffa???Think i was correct?
I think it was either the WTFC away game or Barrow
I think Barrow beat us as well,so im not sure what defeat it was.But(IIRC),Brothers coach stop early saturday morning at a seaside town,near to where we were playing,cannot remember the name.But the team was staying there overnight.We ended up playing football on the beach??next to the hotel.
We got beat and one of the manager Rowley excuses was that Southend fans woke the team up early!!!!

Back