• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

1990 is the 1st I remember, the only other tournaments I have fond memories of are Euro 96 and 2002 WC

1990 is the 1st I remember, the only other tournaments I have fond memories of are Euro 96 and 2002 WC

Euro 2004 was decent - couple of good wins and we should have knocked Portugal out in the quarters. Major tournaments have been mostly miserable since then though.

Euro 2004 was decent - couple of good wins and we should have knocked Portugal out in the quarters. Major tournaments have been mostly miserable since then though.

Yer, Sol Campbell's disallowed goal was a travesty. :angry:

But you're right, we've not turned up since to any major tournament. Pleased to see the back of the "Golden Generation" and Beckham apart, they were more dirty old lead pipe than golden.

Worst thing is that it isn't just 50 years since we won something it's 50 years since we won a single knock-out game against any team of note. It's a pathetic record.

Hopefully Gary Cahill and Kyle walker can put paid to that.

I was 14 in 1966 - watched the game with all the family on a colour TV at Pontins Christchurch - prompted my Dad to get a colour TV when we got back home.

Will always remember my Mum commenting about a chap who kept walking past our chalet during the match - saying he should be watching the game.

Worst thing is that it isn't just 50 years since we won something it's 50 years since we won a single knock-out game against any team of note. It's a pathetic record.

Hopefully Gary Cahill and Kyle walker can put paid to that.

We beat Spain in Euro 96, but that was on penalties.

That is still the only penalty shoot out we've won.

Going back to 1982. It's amazing to see that Spain came 2nd in their group, with Northern Ireland top.

Knockout victories since '66...

1986 - Paraguay
1990 - Belgium (AET), Cameroon (AET)
1996 - Spain (pens)
2002 - Denmark
2006 - Ecuador

You could *possibly* make a case for Euro 1968, where we beat Spain in a two legged quarter-final before getting to the tournament proper, which was only four (!) teams.

Bloody hell.

Knockout victories since '66...

1986 - Paraguay
1990 - Belgium (AET), Cameroon (AET)
1996 - Spain (pens)
2002 - Denmark
2006 - Ecuador

You could *possibly* make a case for Euro 1968, where we beat Spain in a two legged quarter-final before getting to the tournament proper, which was only four (!) teams.

Bloody hell.

That's all true, but we haven't been beaten by that many either. We tend to go out on penalties.

Euro 96 was the last tournament where you felt a real affinity with the players, like they absolutely would do anything to bring success. Since then weve had a succession of poor managers, over-rated players and a general apathy. The bond between players and fans has become broken. 2006 and 2010 were particuarly painful to watch, and of course if we get to a penalty shootout, you just know the outcome.

I bawled my eyes out in my nan's toilet after that Germany q-final defeat in 1970

Whether it would have made much difference to the final result we will never know but I wasn't happy after Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany!

That's all true, but we haven't been beaten by that many either. We tend to go out on penalties.

For balance, knock out defeats since 1966...

1968 - Yugoslavia
1970 - West Germany (AET)
1986 - Argentina
1990 - West Germany (pens)
1996 - Germany (pens)
1998 - Argentina (pens)
2002 - Brazil
2004 - Portugal (pens)
2006 - Portugal (pens)
2010 - Germany
2012 - Italy (pens)

Not forgetting the DNQ next to 1972, 1974, 1976, 1978, 1984, 1994 and 2008 :stunned:

Lol, the 70s really were the dark ages!

In (slight) mitigation, the Euros were only a four team competition until 1980 but that didn't stop West Germany!

Should also add our group stage exits for completeness

1980 Euros
1982 WC (ish - we got through our group, then as there were 12 teams left, they had four groups of three and we didn't get out of that second group. Bit harsh, counting this one.)
1988 Euros
1992 Euros
2000 Euros
2014 WC

Shocking overall record in the Euros really.

Whether it would have made much difference to the final result we will never know but I wasn't happy after Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany!

I think that wpould ahve made a HUGE difference. I watched that game outdoors at Rochford fugby club. They had a huge screen on the back of an artic and a BIG beer tent . Brillant idea and well organised , but very poorly advertised, only about 500 people there if memory serves, when it could/should have been thousands

I think that wpould ahve made a HUGE difference. I watched that game outdoors at Rochford fugby club. They had a huge screen on the back of an artic and a BIG beer tent . Brillant idea and well organised , but very poorly advertised, only about 500 people there if memory serves, when it could/should have been thousands

Would have been 2-2, so maybe. Still had Argentina to lose to in the next round. :sad:

Back