• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

LBBlue

Manager⭐
At about 2.10 I walked with my dad to the bus stop on theno.8 route outside Ayres grocers shop in Rectory Road, Hawkwell, to catch the2.20 bus to Southend. In those days the bus got to Priory Park by just before2.40; there was no bypass in Rochford, not even a one-way system - the buseswent both ways down West Street and stopped in the Market Square.
Getting off before the traffic lights, we then crossed theroad and walked up Victoria Avenue, calling in at one of the shops before turningright into Roots Hall for the first time. I queued up at the back of the NorthBank to go through the junior turnstile whilst my dad went through the adultturnstile and waited for me inside the ground. I can’t remember how much it wasto get in, maybe 9d, but the programme was 3d!
We went onto the North Bank and stood about 6 rows from thefront with the goal to our right. There we were, waiting for the 3.15 kick offfor the third Division match between Southend United and Newport County. Myfootball watching up until then had been at Clements Hall Rec in Hawkwellwatching Rectory Rovers in the Southend and District League. I can rememberbeing impressed when my dad told me that Newport’s left back had been captainof Wales.
Aged 8, then what can I remember about the game - not a lot!We won 3-2! According to my programme Southend wore White Shirts with BlueFacings and White Shorts with Blue Stripe. The aforementioned former WalesCaptain left Back Alf Sherwood scored for Newport and that Alex Stenhouse, Bud Houghtonand Peter Corthine scored for Southend. Peter Corthine was my first blues hero!Corthine had just signed from Chelsea, along with Billy Wall, and had scoredhis fourth goal in his first 3 games. The programme told me we were 6 frombottom with 11 games left so a win was much needed. It also told me that the Supporters Club bandwere absent playing in the Southern Area Championship in London and that trainto Colchester on Good Friday left Southend Victoria at 12.55 arriving inColchester at 2.30 – 8 shillings return (40p). We beat them home and away GoodFriday and Easter Monday with a victory against Coventry in between.
Anyway, I must have enjoyed going as we returned 4 weekslater for the last game of the season against Bournemouth a 3-0 win a 7[SUP]th[/SUP]goal for Corthine in 10 games and a final league placing of 12th. Some thingsdon’t change in 58 years!
We haven’t played at Roots Hall very often on April 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]– A 1-0 win against Watford in 1979 which I was at, a 1-1 draw against Chesterin 1991 a 4-2 win against Scunthorpe in 2004 neither of which I got to and a0-0 against Aldershot in 2011 which I suffered.
58 years later and some 1,100 more visits to Roots Hall I’mjust setting off to catch some trains to today’s game from the south coast. Nottrusting the M25 today. I hope I can trust the weather and the pitch.

Fantastic account. I hope you're coming into Southend on the C2C line to Southend Central. Someone said the other line from Liverpool Street is only running from Billericay. Just checked...it was you that said it, Lol.

At about 2.10 I walked with my dad to the bus stop on theno.8 route outside Ayres grocers shop in Rectory Road, Hawkwell, to catch the2.20 bus to Southend. In those days the bus got to Priory Park by just before2.40; there was no bypass in Rochford, not even a one-way system - the buseswent both ways down West Street and stopped in the Market Square.
Getting off before the traffic lights, we then crossed theroad and walked up Victoria Avenue, calling in at one of the shops before turningright into Roots Hall for the first time. I queued up at the back of the NorthBank to go through the junior turnstile whilst my dad went through the adultturnstile and waited for me inside the ground. I can’t remember how much it wasto get in, maybe 9d, but the programme was 3d!
We went onto the North Bank and stood about 6 rows from thefront with the goal to our right. There we were, waiting for the 3.15 kick offfor the third Division match between Southend United and Newport County. Myfootball watching up until then had been at Clements Hall Rec in Hawkwellwatching Rectory Rovers in the Southend and District League. I can rememberbeing impressed when my dad told me that Newport’s left back had been captainof Wales.
Aged 8, then what can I remember about the game - not a lot!We won 3-2! According to my programme Southend wore White Shirts with BlueFacings and White Shorts with Blue Stripe. The aforementioned former WalesCaptain left Back Alf Sherwood scored for Newport and that Alex Stenhouse, Bud Houghtonand Peter Corthine scored for Southend. Peter Corthine was my first blues hero!Corthine had just signed from Chelsea, along with Billy Wall, and had scoredhis fourth goal in his first 3 games. The programme told me we were 6 frombottom with 11 games left so a win was much needed. It also told me that the Supporters Club bandwere absent playing in the Southern Area Championship in London and that trainto Colchester on Good Friday left Southend Victoria at 12.55 arriving inColchester at 2.30 – 8 shillings return (40p). We beat them home and away GoodFriday and Easter Monday with a victory against Coventry in between.
Anyway, I must have enjoyed going as we returned 4 weekslater for the last game of the season against Bournemouth a 3-0 win a 7[SUP]th[/SUP]goal for Corthine in 10 games and a final league placing of 12th. Some thingsdon’t change in 58 years!
We haven’t played at Roots Hall very often on April 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]– A 1-0 win against Watford in 1979 which I was at, a 1-1 draw against Chesterin 1991 a 4-2 win against Scunthorpe in 2004 neither of which I got to and a0-0 against Aldershot in 2011 which I suffered.
58 years later and some 1,100 more visits to Roots Hall I’mjust setting off to catch some trains to today’s game from the south coast. Nottrusting the M25 today. I hope I can trust the weather and the pitch.

Peter Corthine.

Now you're talking.

25 goals in 73 appearances from midfield and a class act.

Peter Corthine was one of my favourite Blues players. As I recall he suffered a nasty head injury at Roots Hall and never really recovered his previous form. I think he moved on to Gravesend & Northfleet.

Peter Corthine was one of my favourite Blues players. As I recall he suffered a nasty head injury at Roots Hall and never really recovered his previous form. I think he moved on to Gravesend & Northfleet.

That could explain it - he played in Chelsea's first team with Jimmy Greaves a couple of times before joining us aged 22. He was born in 1937 and just 5' 6" tall - very good footballer.

I remember the Newport County game well, standing also on the North Bank but right behind the goal, somebody telling me about Alf Sherwood, going home pulling out my football books to look him up, no Internet then. also the Coventry game, did they have a RB by the name of Kletzenbauer? I thought it ironic at the time, and then to Colchester probably on the same train, my dad was working on the railway, so I got free train tickets, walking all the way down to Layer road, skipping all the way back. Once again those were the days!

I found this. Sounds like Peter Corthine was a right winger. Even so, that would be very impressive goal stats if it was from the wing or midfield. Ray Smith went on to be top scorer in the 66/67 season.

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2017/02/february-1962-southend-united-reserves-2-qpr-reserves-0/

Peter was what we used to call an inside right.

He certainly never played on the wing for us.

Hard to think of another player with whom to compare.

Very skilful and a real eye for goal and a decent pass.

Fortunately he played before tracking back became fashionable.

Did all of his work in between the half way point of our half and the opposition's goal.

A bit like Phil Chisnall but worked harder.

Peter was what we used to call an inside right.

He certainly never played on the wing for us.

Hard to think of another player with whom to compare.

Very skilful and a real eye for goal and a decent pass.

Fortunately he played before tracking back became fashionable.

Did all of his work in between the half way point of our half and the opposition's goal.

A bit like Phil Chisnall but worked harder.

Yes indeed!Corthine always played as a striker,feeding off big centre-forwards Bud Houghton,then Jim Fryatt.Perhaps people are confusing him with the little winger who came from Chelsea at the same time: blond -haired Billy Wall.

Back