• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

9 points clear of Crewe - should we worry?

CC51DAS

President
Assuming Millwall and Cheltenham pick up a few points for their games in hand - Crewe are effectively 4th bottom . The other 3 , Port Vale, Luton and Bournemouth seem to be selecting League 2 as their preferred option for next season ( if they are still around ).

But a real scrap could develop for the 4th spot and we of course have yet to visit Crewe. Obviously there is a long way to go and the clubs below us will all be taking points off each other .

Nonetheless , this is no time for complacency .

We have seven working days left of the transfer window, during which time we have the distraction of two of our biggest games of the year .I hope the club is stocking up on midnight oil.

C'mon- splash the cash Ron - you know it makes sense

I think all fans should be concerned, after friday night all we have to look forward to is either mid table obscurity or a relegation fight.

Mel - I have got a sneaking suspicion that you are very closely connected with the club -

I am even more worried now . Are you suggesting that this transfer activity , apart from Barnard , is just a big smokescreen ?

The one thing that the SUFC supporting public don't deserve is to be mis-led

Mel - I have got a sneaking suspicion that you are very closely connected with the club -

I am even more worried now . Are you suggesting that this transfer activity , apart from Barnard , is just a big smokescreen ?

The one thing that the SUFC supporting public don't deserve is to be mis-led

Do you really think that someone "very closely connected with the club" would have the sig that MSFE has? IMHO MSFE has a friend at a not very high level who is feeding him some scraps, which he is then using to give the impression that he is at the core of things. IMHO, of course.

Lets just say agents speak deliberately to stir up moves!
I am just a long term supporter who is growing very frustrated at the lack of progress which is made. After the championship year it would have made sense to build upon the squad that we had, but no, we have gone back about 4 years. The club still appear to lack the desire to cement themselves at a higher level. Even from the days when we had semi successful sides under Arther Rowley, Dave Smith, Judas Fry it was never capitalised upon. Once again we see the same scenario in the Tilson era. The younger band of fans that have been attracted over the past 4-5 years are unaware of the history and have seen perhaps the better times of this club,but still the old ways return in failing to build. I see many of the current team adopting an attitude towards their profession much akin to the Ronnie Whelan era, and we all know what that was about.
Even the best of marriages come to an end, and I feel its about time we had a different style of leadership not only from the discipline side but the style of football we are playing once again.
If we end the season in the top half I will be amazed !
I will go for 16th or 17th by the time the season is over.

I am just a long term supporter who is growing very frustrated at the lack of progress which is made. After the championship year it would have made sense to build upon the squad that we had, but no, we have gone back about 4 years. The club still appear to lack the desire to cement themselves at a higher level. Even from the days when we had semi successful sides under Arther Rowley, Dave Smith, Judas Fry it was never capitalised upon. Once again we see the same scenario in the Tilson era. The younger band of fans that have been attracted over the past 4-5 years are unaware of the history and have seen perhaps the better times of this club,but still the old ways return in failing to build. I see many of the current team adopting an attitude towards their profession much akin to the Ronnie Whelan era, and we all know what that was about.
Even the best of marriages come to an end, and I feel its about time we had a different style of leadership not only from the discipline side but the style of football we are playing once again.

Yet our policy of bringing in young players with an eye to the future, of employing a top coach like Ricky Duncan, aiming for academy status and planning for FF would seem to contradict that. Are you TMWLT in disguise?

Yet our policy of bringing in young players with an eye to the future, of employing a top coach like Ricky Duncan, aiming for academy status and planning for FF would seem to contradict that. Are you TMWLT in disguise?

We lose a game and out come the boo boys. Very tiresome.

Fair do's MSFE - and just to clarify , I wasn't suggesting that you were the one misleading us .

You seem to have a good contact at the club 'cos you've been very close on a number of things of late . Cheers for that

If you honestly believe that members of our youth team that make the grade will be future first team players I once again think you are misguided. You are bound to use Moussa as an example, but he has hardly nailed down a permanant position. Other clubs of equal stature have produced fine crops of players. Then what happens is that they are eventually sold ! Crewe and Peterboro are recent examples of that to name just 2. The youth set ups at this level normally only survive by selling their starlets.
We have some fine talent I believe, but I equally feel they will be sold if the right money comes on the table.
Thats life I'm afraid.

If you honestly believe that members of our youth team that make the grade will be future first team players I once again think you are misguided. You are bound to use Moussa as an example, but he has hardly nailed down a permanant position. Other clubs of equal stature have produced fine crops of players. Then what happens is that they are eventually sold ! Crewe and Peterboro are recent examples of that to name just 2. The youth set ups at this level normally only survive by selling their starlets.
We have some fine talent I believe, but I equally feel they will be sold if the right money comes on the table.
Thats life I'm afraid.

That is indeed life for clubs at our level - and if we develop to sell at least that is another income stream for the club. And I don't think we will be seeing much fruit from the yoofs for a while (though I hope I am wrong). But none the less, it shows a planning for the future that has been missing for decades at Roots Hall. And do you think that Lipstick and Masters have been brought in just to sell at the first opportunity? They certainly seem to have been signed with at least the hope that they will be future first team regulars. As I have said before, if this club didn't have ambition, I'm sure that RM would have built the smallest possible stadium instead of increasing the capacity.

I'm a Stadium Half Full fan! :p

I think all fans should be concerned, after friday night all we have to look forward to is either mid table obscurity or a relegation fight.

.... or, if we're really lucky, a replay.

Still think a couple of non cup-tied loan players for Friday might pay dividends. Barnsley haven't won any of their last 8 League games and have only won once away back in September. They're there for the taking and this could be one of our last meaningful (to us) games of the season. I don't subscribe to the relegation battle theory; this team has mid-table written all over it.

we have not learnt lessons from last season, we are still appalling defensively, we should be focusing on shoring up the back, a couple of defenders in would not go amiss, sort that out then worry about strikers, lets stop leaking goals

.... or, if we're really lucky, a replay.

Barnsley haven't won any of their last 8 League games and have only won once away back in September. They're there for the taking and this could be one of our last meaningful (to us) games of the season. I

I'd rather get a result against Leeds than the Dingles. It would be more important.

I'd rather get a result against Leeds than the Dingles. It would be more important.

3 Points against Leeds could be the difference between finishing 13th or 14th where as victory against Barnsley would give us the chance of playing one of the big 4 maybe even on TV and making a huge amount of money for the club as well as publicity and who knows a chance of causing a huge upset on live TV. It has happened before!!!

3 Points against Leeds could be the difference between finishing 13th or 14th where as victory against Barnsley would give us the chance of playing one of the big 4 maybe even on TV and making a huge amount of money for the club as well as publicity and who knows a chance of causing a huge upset on live TV. It has happened before!!!

Agree with the possible financial reward, but as for causing a huge upset with our current 'first eleven', afraid i just cant see it.

i dont think we need to worry because we are to good to go down and we are too high in the table

Back