• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
This year, on the 9th September (all being well) the Queen will become the longest reigning British monarch of all time. I wouldn't say it's an achievement or even well done to the Queen because she hasn't actually done anything to be Queen for so long, other than have her dad die when she was young, and then go on to live for a very long time.

However, regardless of your views on the monarchy, this is an amazing thing. This is history in the making, and I for one am proud and excited to be part of that.

giphy.gif

Sorry LB, I genuinely can't think of something I'd give less of a **** about.

This year, on the 9th September (all being well) the Queen will become the longest reigning British monarch of all time. I wouldn't say it's an achievement or even well done to the Queen because she hasn't actually done anything to be Queen for so long, other than have her dad die when she was young, and then go on to live for a very long time.

However, regardless of your views on the monarchy, this is an amazing thing. This is history in the making, and I for one am proud and excited to be part of that.

By this, I assume you mean co-funded it?

I am a monarchist, I think it's a pretty impressive piece of history and I'm with you LB. Well done in advance Ma'am.

My mum is of a similar age, not had the finest medical care available to her at the snap of her fingers, born before the NHS, lived through WW2 without a bomb dropping on her head, had 4 kids at times when death from childbirth was still relatively high, survived cancer and throughout it has had a happy, lovely demeanour and couldn't do enough for her extended family & neighbours.

That's more amazing to me.

Will we get a public holiday for it?

Sorry LB, I genuinely can't think of something I'd give less of a **** about.

You're seeing history in the making, isn't that something, at least, to acknowledge?

As a staunch Royalist, it's something to be very proud of.

What is there to see?

And do we get the day off to see it?

I'm guessing there will be celebrations in London that will involve the pomp and ceremony which we excel at. This will draw in thousands of tourists and lots of trade for London businesses and hotels. Worth it for that alone. I don't know about public holidays but it is not an impossibility.

My mum is of a similar age, not had the finest medical care available to her at the snap of her fingers, born before the NHS, lived through WW2 without a bomb dropping on her head, had 4 kids at times when death from childbirth was still relatively high, survived cancer and throughout it has had a happy, lovely demeanour and couldn't do enough for her extended family & neighbours.

That's more amazing to me.

It's good that you feel that way MK, we should all treasure our mums. How does she feel about the Queen and her family?

You know, it never fails to amaze me how discussing the Royal family gets as fraught as discussing politics on here. We all have our different views and I for one wouldn't criticise anyone that didn't rate the Windsors, but neither do I feel bad because I do.

Ridiculously cosseted individual lives for a long time in an unprecedented era of medical technology life span and a society which no longer kills its monarchs .

Its it a bit of history ? or an example of how life expectancy has changed, particularly if you have a bottomless pit to throw at healthcare...

I'm quite happy that we have a royal family so the tourists have something to throw their money at, but I'd rather they had absolutely zero power. I also couldn't give a monkeys if one lasts longer than all the others - means nothing to me.

You're seeing history in the making, isn't that something, at least, to acknowledge?

As a staunch Royalist, it's something to be very proud of.

That's the thing. I like the Royal family, but I don't consider myself a royalist at all. For me, the important thing is being (even a small) part of history.

That's the same reason I went to see Princess Diana's coffin make its way up the M1. I was witnessing a piece of history that will be talked about for centuries.

I don't have too much of a problem with the royal family. Their existence is a net money maker for the UK and I don't really miss the 60p a year or whatever it is they cost me.

There are far bigger barriers to social mobility than the monarchy.

I don't have too much of a problem with the royal family. Their existence is a net money maker for the UK and I don't really miss the 60p a year or whatever it is they cost me.

There are far bigger barriers to social mobility than the monarchy.

The 550 square miles of land they 'own' would be quite handy for affordable housing...

Back