• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
with an average home gate of 4.5k they must be one of the biggest non-league clubs - i remember they were once in division one - hey ho !!!

Pettefer ruled out of Southend clash
Comment | Read Comments (6)

Carl Pettefer
Carl Pettefer's hopes of facing his former club Southend in the FA Cup this Saturday are over.

The midfielder's appeal against the red card he received at Kidderminster last weekend has been dismissed.

United sent video evidence to the FA to appeal against the red card, but the appeal was not upheld and Pettefer receives a three-game ban.

In addition to the FA Cup second-round tie against Southend, he also misses the Blue Square Premier game at Northwich and the home FA Trophy tie against Tonbridge Angels.

Said boss Darren Patterson: "I'm very disappointed for Carl on a personal level, and for us as a club as he has played a large part in our good form in the last three games.

"Now it's up to someone else to come in and do a job for us in that area."

-------------------------------------------------
FOOTBALL: Barnes so keen to prove point
By Jon Murray
Comment | Read Comments (1)

Ashley Barnes
Loan star Ashley Barnes says he hopes he can stay at Oxford United for a while to continue his goalscoring habit.

The young Plymouth Argyle striker scored the U's second goal in their 2-0 win at Kidderminster last Saturday after coming off the bench at the start of the second half.

It was the type of goal you only get from a natural goalscorer as he showed clever movement to lose his marker before smartly heading in a right-wing cross.

But there is no surprise in that, because Barnes has proved throughout his flegling career that he knows exactly where the goal is.

Despite at the time being only 17, he had scored 15 times up until February last season for Somerset club Paulton Rovers in the Southern League.

Then, he impressed Plymouth's then-manager Ian Holloway during a two-month trial at the Championship club which earned him a contract at Home Park.

advertisement
Bath-born Barnes hit five goals in seven reserve-team games to finish as Plymouth's top Combination scorer last season - despite only having been with them for ten weeks.

After his debut goal for Oxford at the weekend, Barnes, who has just turned 18, admitted: "I was scoring nearly every game at Paulton Rovers, and I stepped up.

"The gaffer that was, Holloway, brought me up, I owe a lot to him.

"I've joined Oxford because I want to play football because in the reserves down there we only have a reserve game every three weeks or maybe even a month.

"My ambition is to score goals higher up the league, and maybe one day in the Premiership."

With Holloway leaving Plymouth to become Leicester's new boss and Paul Sturrock leaving Swindon to take over as Argyle's manager, Barnes knows he has a new gaffer to try to impress, and there's a chance he may be recalled next month for that reason.

He said: "I left Plymouth when it (the new manager) was all getting sorted. They said I might get recalled if they get a striker crisis, but I wouldn't mind staying here for a bit to help out the club and take them higher, which would be brilliant."

Back