• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jonny_Stokes

Sir Jonny Of Promotionshire
Firstly: f%&k off Jonny, Orient scum, going down, East London is full of ethnic minorities. Right, now we've got that out of the way:

I can't believe the negativity on this board. I really can't. I know football fans are fickle creatures, and I know as well as any of you how it feels to embark on a poor sequence of results. But to have a series of threads like the ones dominating the first page of SZ is, to me anyway, absolutely incredible.

8 games without a win? Try going 12 in a lower division. Two points off safety? Try being 3 off safety in a lower division. Bad defence? Try letting in 31 goals in a lower division. I know that Southend aren't Leyton Orient (yeah, yeah thank f%&k) but our current experiences are comparable.

One major similarity is the manager. I've seen a number of posts criticising Tilson for "being out of his depth". What else did you expect? The guy hardly played at this level, let alone managed at it before. How can you criticise a manager who's gained two promotions in a row? I mean, I',m aware that you don't want to go around living in the past (like Spurs), but for feck's sake give the guy a chance to turn it round before decrying him as not good enough at this level. Some of the impatient elements of our fans have been doing exactly the same to Ling. Yes he has made a few mistakes, but he's made a couple of good loan signings and we're hopefully going to turn the corner. They're both amongst the best young managers in the country and come on, what's the viable alternative to them? Who do you want instead? You were sh!tting yourselves when you thought he was off to Norwich a couple of weeks back, and now he isn't good enough?

The same goes for a number of the players. They've been successful at a lower level - some of them two levels lower. Can you really begrudge them a crack at this division? Can you really call these players who gave their all to win you a Championship uncommitted, just because they're playing with a lack of confidence?

And off the pitch the clubs is making real strides with the proposed new ground. You're gearing up for Championship football rather than flogging off your ground in an attempt to squeeze every bit of capital out of the club before leaving it to die on its arse (idea copyright: B. H£arn.). I'm sure you'll all turn round and say "well that's no use if we're not in Championship". Well, you weren't exactly planning to be here, were you? Not exactly part of the long term plan to have gone straight through. Some attitudes are so goddamned short-sighted and negative.

"Ah," I hear you say "not much to be positive about on the pitch is there?". Well no, not at the moment. But you're on this bad run and you're still only two points off safety. I was amazed by those of you that thought you'd be comfortably ensconced in mid-table this season, when everything was pointing at a season of struggle. Funnily enough it's these same fantasists that are now wailing away at your current plight, demanding wholesale change.

Of course Col******r being on a good run is distorting the situation as, quite rightly, you're expecting to finish above them. But do you honestly think that they won't go on a bad run like you're experiencing now? That they won't find themselves in freefall at some stage? And, more importantly, that you're not going to have a decent run some time in this season? Hell, even we've managed to be three games unbeaten at the moment.

In short, you're not 'out of your depth', you're just a) still adjusting to the level, and b) not one of the better sides in the division. You'll lose more than you win. And yeah, it's disappointing and it isn't too much fun, but is it a reason to start going overboard? I think not. There's six or seven Championship sides in the same boat as you, so all is not lost. You're not cut adrift. You've not lost Eatswood or Tilson. You're not in the first round of the FA Cup. And you're not West Ham. So enjoy the bigger grounds, better atmospheres and better players on show and for f%&k's sake cheer up.

upside.gif

J_S

Well said mate!

To be honest the reaction on here whenever we lose a game is all too predictable.

Yes I am worried about how things are at the moment but I'm also aware that there are 33 games left of the season and there is plenty of time to turn things around. As you said the players and management are all learning to adapt to this level and lets be honest it's a f%&king steep curve!

UP THE SHRIMPERS!!

Post of the week. Give that man a medal.

Certain people on here need to read that time and time again to knock the crap they've been spouting over the last 24 hours out of their heads.

Thank you JS. As Andy_S has just said:

Read, mark and inwardly digest. Then in particular note the point about players playing with a lack of confidence, match that up to the difference between our performances on Tuesday and Saturday and STOP SPOUTING CRAP ABOUT "I'LL CHEER WHEN I HAVE SOMETHING TO CHEER ABOUT" AND GET BEHIND THE PLAYERS FROM THE KICK OFF!!!

Jonny - an excellent post and kinda puts everything into perspective. It's a trifle sad that it takes an O's fan to point out the obvious though!!

Whilst people will argue that they don't care where we were 3 years ago, losing 3-1 at home to Ipswich is preferable to losing (with all due respect) to the likes of Cheltenham, Torquay etc as we were back then.

Tilson needs to make changes and potentially get a couple of loanees in, but the fact remains that we have two winable games up next against the only two teams in a worse predicament than ourselves!!

Keep the faith and get behind the Blues!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ Oct. 22 2006,19:15)]Firstly: f%&k off Jonny, Orient scum, going down, East London is full of ethnic minorities. Right, now we've got that out of the way:

I can't believe the negativity on this board. I really can't. I know football fans are fickle creatures, and I know as well as any of you how it feels to embark on a poor sequence of results. But to have a series of threads like the ones dominating the first page of SZ is, to me anyway, absolutely incredible.

8 games without a win? Try going 12 in a lower division. Two points off safety? Try being 3 off safety in a lower division. Bad defence? Try letting in 31 goals in a lower division. I know that Southend aren't Leyton Orient (yeah, yeah thank f%&k) but our current experiences are comparable.

One major similarity is the manager. I've seen a number of posts criticising Tilson for "being out of his depth". What else did you expect? The guy hardly played at this level, let alone managed at it before. How can you criticise a manager who's gained two promotions in a row? I mean, I',m aware that you don't want to go around living in the past (like Spurs), but for feck's sake give the guy a chance to turn it round before decrying him as not good enough at this level. Some of the impatient elements of our fans have been doing exactly the same to Ling. Yes he has made a few mistakes, but he's made a couple of good loan signings and we're hopefully going to turn the corner. They're both amongst the best young managers in the country and come on, what's the viable alternative to them? Who do you want instead? You were sh!tting yourselves when you thought he was off to Norwich a couple of weeks back, and now he isn't good enough?

The same goes for a number of the players. They've been successful at a lower level - some of them two levels lower. Can you really begrudge them a crack at this division? Can you really call these players who gave their all to win you a Championship uncommitted, just because they're playing with a lack of confidence?

And off the pitch the clubs is making real strides with the proposed new ground. You're gearing up for Championship football rather than flogging off your ground in an attempt to squeeze every bit of capital out of the club before leaving it to die on its arse (idea copyright: B. H£arn.). I'm sure you'll all turn round and say "well that's no use if we're not in Championship". Well, you weren't exactly planning to be here, were you? Not exactly part of the long term plan to have gone straight through. Some attitudes are so goddamned short-sighted and negative.

"Ah," I hear you say "not much to be positive about on the pitch is there?". Well no, not at the moment. But you're on this bad run and you're still only two points off safety. I was amazed by those of you that thought you'd be comfortably ensconced in mid-table this season, when everything was pointing at a season of struggle. Funnily enough it's these same fantasists that are now wailing away at your current plight, demanding wholesale change.

Of course Col******r being on a good run is distorting the situation as, quite rightly, you're expecting to finish above them. But do you honestly think that they won't go on a bad run like you're experiencing now? That they won't find themselves in freefall at some stage? And, more importantly, that you're not going to have a decent run some time in this season? Hell, even we've managed to be three games unbeaten at the moment.

In short, you're not 'out of your depth', you're just a) still adjusting to the level, and b) not one of the better sides in the division. You'll lose more than you win. And yeah, it's disappointing and it isn't too much fun, but is it a reason to start going overboard? I think not. There's six or seven Championship sides in the same boat as you, so all is not lost. You're not cut adrift. You've not lost Eatswood or Tilson. You're not in the first round of the FA Cup. And you're not West Ham. So enjoy the bigger grounds, better atmospheres and better players on show and for f%&k's sake cheer up.

upside.gif

J_S
Spot on, i never thought I would say everyone else on here should be more like an Orient fan
rock.gif

This was pretty much the point I was making in my 'not dead yet' post. Good point and I'd say pretyt much spot on. I can already here the cries of 'you weren't there' rumbling....

Excellent post and highlights the apparent complete lack of perspective displayed by a lot of posters on this site - one of the reasons why I hardly ever come on here now (not that anyone should obviously be too concerned with that, of course
wink.gif
).

Anyone who expected that we would do anything but struggle was clearly misguided. Admittedly it is a shade depressing for any fans to see their team in the lower echelons of the league, but in reality, we're only one position off where we need to be. If we're fourth from bottom at the end of the season, I for one will be ecstatic.

Whether Tilly is 'the man for the job' is almost a moot point. He's the current incumbent and having guided the team to two successive promotions, in terms of job security, most would say he's got to be pretty much untouchable. Even if we did get relegated, he would still deserve the chance to take us straight back up.

What the team needs now is galvanising. You don't need to be a genius to see that. The real question is how. I'm no expert and haven't seen nearly as much football this season as I would've hoped, but I think we could use a (dare I say) Bentley-style dominating/domineering centre-mid to provide a bit of drive and bite in the middle of the park. Obviously that won't be an easy task.

Keep the faith!

Edit: spelling
oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BrettieAngell @ Oct. 22 2006,19:24)]Well said mate!

To be honest the reaction on here whenever we lose a game is all too predictable.

Yes I am worried about how things are at the moment but I'm also aware that there are 33 games left of the season and there is plenty of time to turn things around. As you said the players and management are all learning to adapt to this level and lets be honest it's a f%&king steep curve!

UP THE SHRIMPERS!!
Well said - Anyone who thought it wasn't going to be a struggle this season has got it wrong. The club needs us to stay positive and to get behind them, not on there backs.

All the best to you all
unclesam.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MC BLUES @ Oct. 22 2006,21:06)]You love us Jonny dont you?  
biggrin.gif
Nah, you're just all easier to wind up when you're not arguing amongst yourselves
wink.gif

You wouldn't have started this thread if you hadn't got laid the other night, would you Jonny?

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gremlin @ Oct. 22 2006,22:04)]You wouldn't have started this thread if you hadn't got laid the other night, would you Jonny?

wink.gif
laugh.gif

Nah, i probably would have. I come on this board for a bit of light relief (get away from Orient being rubbish, and work being worse), and it's not a happy hunting ground for me at the moment
biggrin.gif

Following my words of great wisdom on this thread, I am expecting my surgery in The Pub to be fit to burst tomorrow
wink.gif

Could I also add that at my son's under 11's league match today, there was a minute's silence as one of the oposition's mother had died that week. He apparently had chosen to play because his Mum always wanted him to.

Now that's guts, that's character, that's the sort of thing to bring a tear to anyone's eye. We all felt humbled today. It certain put this season into proper context. Teams win and lose, players come and go. Life goes on but then suddenly grinds to a halt. The game, though, endures. Enjoy it while you can.

Brilliant post by Jonny. Really sums up my feelings on the whole thing.

To be honest I'm starting to think that several of our core players are simply not good enough for this level but thats not their fault and I'll back them all the way.

As for Tilly I'm almost sorry that he didn't take the Norwich job because the backlash from our 'fans' is inevitable and the man simply doesn't deserve it.

Jonny - you're a star, thanks for the kick up the backside that we need. Saturday was a depressing experience but, as Peter Clark said on the OS, a bit of luck (Eastwood's 1-on-1 going in just before ht and Clark's header rebounding into the net instead of into the 'keeper's arms) and we might have had a draw or even the confidence to go on and win.

Let's get behind the team on Tuesday week as I think the next 10 days are critical playing the 2 teams that are currently below us in the league.

Keep the faith comrades!

Back