• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The_Beard

Schoolboy
First things first: Saturday's game was not the worst game of football I've ever seen. It wasn't enjoyable to watch as a Southend fan, but then who does enjoy watching their team lose? The answer: most Southend fans? Gives us something to moan about doesn't it?

Realistically anyone who thought we were going to get a good result against Port Vale is probably a born optimist and therefore not prone to moan about it afterwards. Anyone who thought we would get done 3-1 shouldn't be surprised and therefore also doesn't have much to moan about. Which makes me wonder where all the moaners are coming from?

I know I run the risk of being run out of town with flaming pitchforks by not toeing the party line and labelling the entire team a "disgrace" or "useless", but I can't see many teams in Leage 2 standing up to Port Vale this season. Their team looks like it could compete for the Guinness Premiership as well as L2 this season, they were all units.

A team of mercenaries got tonked by a well oiled machine of players early in the season, surprise surprise.

Got more points than West Ham.

Was gonna put this myself - great points.

Port Vale are a very, very decent side and as Sturrock says, they will be right up there for the title. And I said exactly the same to my mate Saturday, that they looked like a Rugby Union side, but in terms of their kit but more importantly their size!! Their keeper was an absolute monster of a man!

So certainly no disgrace with the result, but the performance is what will worry Sturrock and prompted the angry response, so will be fascinating where he goes with it now after telling the players 'some home truths'...

A team of mercenaries got tonked by a well oiled machine of players early in the season, surprise surprise.

Got more points than West Ham.

Now that's one of the most accurate posts on here for a while......

I think at least 50% of the moaners want to see a bit of heart, which this bunch of ex-sturrock, "didn't have a team mid July so I'll go along until something else pops up" are not going to give!

Ok, I only saw the first goal but it wasn't the fact that PV were a better team...we defendly SO badly! To get caught out in the way that we did for the first goal is shocking...a sunday league team would be embarressed if they conceded a goal like that! Such a soft goal to concede!

I didn't see most of the game but if the other goals were anything like the first then I think we are well within our right to be annoyed and disapointed!

Disclaimer: I only saw five minutes of the game due to having to leave for a family emergency.

We have proved we can play this season and apart maybe a couple of 'dodgy' ref decisions we could have more points on the board. Yes we were poor against Vale but are we surprised that we will be inconsistent so early on with such a new squad and management team? It will take time - definitly more than 4 first team matches and it is not until maybe late October/November will we really know where we stand in this league and how we can push on. This season is all about settling things down and getting some stability to the club and team. Do I think we will get relegated? No. Do I think we wil get promoted? No. But this season is about putting foundations in place so next season we can move on from here. Yes 1 point from 9 is not ideal but have we been outplayed apart from the Port Vale game? No. Have we had a bit of bad luck in the other games? Yes. We lost, we were poor, time to move on to the next game, learn from the mistakes and dont repeat them - pressurise the opposition, get the ball out wide, sometimes play the easy ball rather than attempting the audicious and work as a team to make sure when we dont have the ball that they have to produce something special to get past us. This will be a rollercoaster season and if you dont enjoy the ride and want an easier life than go support someone like Chelsea! But as for me I love my club and will support them wherever they may go.

Ok, I only saw the first goal but it wasn't the fact that PV were a better team...we defendly SO badly! To get caught out in the way that we did for the first goal is shocking...a sunday league team would be embarressed if they conceded a goal like that! Such a soft goal to concede!

I didn't see most of the game but if the other goals were anything like the first then I think we are well within our right to be annoyed and disapointed!

Disclaimer: I only saw five minutes of the game due to having to leave for a family emergency.

Wasnt sitting in the front row of the south upper by any chance?

We have proved we can play this season and apart maybe a couple of 'dodgy' ref decisions we could have more points on the board. Yes we were poor against Vale but are we surprised that we will be inconsistent so early on with such a new squad and management team? It will take time - definitly more than 4 first team matches and it is not until maybe late October/November will we really know where we stand in this league and how we can push on. This season is all about settling things down and getting some stability to the club and team. Do I think we will get relegated? No. Do I think we wil get promoted? No. But this season is about putting foundations in place so next season we can move on from here. Yes 1 point from 9 is not ideal but have we been outplayed apart from the Port Vale game? No. Have we had a bit of bad luck in the other games? Yes. We lost, we were poor, time to move on to the next game, learn from the mistakes and dont repeat them - pressurise the opposition, get the ball out wide, sometimes play the easy ball rather than attempting the audicious and work as a team to make sure when we dont have the ball that they have to produce something special to get past us. This will be a rollercoaster season and if you dont enjoy the ride and want an easier life than go support someone like Chelsea! But as for me I love my club and will support them wherever they may go.

+ a zillion!!

we certainly did not deserve to lose at aldersh*t, the only real difference was that Morgan chap who was class at this level. simpson seemed to be the only person on the pitch trying to play football, but the rest hid from him. then he was on the bench on saturday - strange?

I think at least 50% of the moaners want to see a bit of heart, which this bunch of ex-sturrock, "didn't have a team mid July so I'll go along until something else pops up" are not going to give!

If The Expendables has taught me anything, it's that a team of mercenaries can do great things.

And Stratham still can't act.

One of Port Vale's defenders in action:

california-rodeo-salinas-bull-fighting-3.jpg

One of Southend' defenders in action:

donkey.jpg

I still don't understand how the current crop can be labelled and criticised as 'mercenaries', yet last seasons crop are exhonorated for their **** poor performances on the basis they would have tried harder if they had been paid......clearly they were not trying through love of the club.....

The reason that there are a lot of so called "moaners" on here is because eighteen months ago we had a team challenging for the Division 1 play-offs under a fantastic manager and coach who loved the club and its fans. On Saturday afternoon we witnessed what we used to see many seasons ago under various journeyman managers and players.
Thousands of us are gutted about the state of our club both on and off the field and all the Martin actions of the past year or so eg. sacking a successful management team, the Webby fiasco, court cases, treatment of players such as Revell, putting players like Bailey and Clarke on the transfer list. There is no need to go on, the list would be endless.
Of course, we want the Blues to win each week and yes, we can take defeats but the manner in which our great little club has been dragged into the gutter makes people upset and angry. I and many, many others cannot just write off what was happened and remain optimistic. Good luck to Sturrock and co but the wounds will take a long, long time to heal.

I still don't understand how the current crop can be labelled and criticised as 'mercenaries', yet last seasons crop are exhonorated for their **** poor performances on the basis they would have tried harder if they had been paid......clearly they were not trying through love of the club.....

I don't see the word mercenary as being an insult personally. Most footballers are mercenaries, it just happens we've picked up all of our players in one sitting. None of these players have arrived or play for love of the club, but some of them will (hopefully) eventually. How many of us turn up to work because we love it?

I miss the days of Barrett and Tilson clapping the crowd after game too, but lets be honest wouldn't it feel a bit weird if Easton or Prosser started doing it now? To me it would feel a bit phoney, just a bit too soon. These players haven't formed a relationship with us yet and we seem to not want to make it easy. Booing them off the pitch after losing to an undefeated team for example?

If you can face the brutal truth of it most of these players are on 1 year "shop window" contracts. But hopefully from this group of strangers 2 or 3 club legends might just appear?

I don't see the word mercenary as being an insult personally. Most footballers are mercenaries, it just happens we've picked up all of our players in one sitting. None of these players have arrived or play for love of the club, but some of them will (hopefully) eventually. How many of us turn up to work because we love it?

I miss the days of Barrett and Tilson clapping the crowd after game too, but lets be honest wouldn't it feel a bit weird if Easton or Prosser started doing it now? To me it would feel a bit phoney, just a bit too soon. These players haven't formed a relationship with us yet and we seem to not want to make it easy. Booing them off the pitch after losing to an undefeated team for example?

If you can face the brutal truth of it most of these players are on 1 year "shop window" contracts. But hopefully from this group of strangers 2 or 3 club legends might just appear?

Think what we do have as apposed to 'journeymen' of the past, are players that whilst not necessarily wanting to play for the club (at first), then certainly wanting to be here for the manager.

Coughlan, Gilbert, Easton, Zaaboub, Corr, Evans, Barker and Blair (anyone else?) all are here due to Paul Sturrock without a doubt. Whether Corr would have come anyway as Tilly had set the deal up is unknown. Then we have Clohessey and Prosser who have both played under Widdrington before.

The others may have chosen the club for security (ha!), location etc, or most likely the chance to work with PS too, such is his standing and reputation.

I see all the signings bar a couple as 'safe' and sensible signings by Sturrock. He knows them as individuals, knows what they can do and they know what he wants. Its just now about blending those individuals into a team unit.

Its not easy - look at Man City - unlimited wealth, yet basically 11 'mercanaries' playing as individuals rather than a team. Doesnt matter if the player costs £0 or £35m, same principle.

Team spirit and dedication goes a long way in improving performances on a pitch and the relationship with fans. Will take a while to build relationships between player to player and players to fans.

The reason that there are a lot of so called "moaners" on here is because eighteen months ago we had a team challenging for the Division 1 play-offs under a fantastic manager and coach who loved the club and its fans. On Saturday afternoon we witnessed what we used to see many seasons ago under various journeyman managers and players.
Thousands of us are gutted about the state of our club both on and off the field and all the Martin actions of the past year or so eg. sacking a successful management team, the Webby fiasco, court cases, treatment of players such as Revell, putting players like Bailey and Clarke on the transfer list. There is no need to go on, the list would be endless.
Of course, we want the Blues to win each week and yes, we can take defeats but the manner in which our great little club has been dragged into the gutter makes people upset and angry. I and many, many others cannot just write off what was happened and remain optimistic. Good luck to Sturrock and co but the wounds will take a long, long time to heal.

agreed..................

I am under no illusion that these players are going to be legends.....I can see very little prospect of that. However labelling them as mercenaries in a derogatory sense is harsh. They have joined a club, many on 'pre-contracts' knowing full well there is a good chance they may not get paid on time at some point. They need the job and want to play professional football, they are not holding the club to ransom, and I don't doubt their committment yet, just their ability. The point I was making is that people are happy to label the current players 'mercenaries' yet extol the virtues of last years players, when it is pretty much accepted they put in less than 100% effort over money.....

Back