• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Had to wait until today to post as was in a foul mood after yesterday's performance.

On reflection I think most of us would have taken nine points from the first six games. It is a blow that the last three have been defeats but having had our best start since caveman times the only way was down.

Morecambe are always a bogey side. They are strong, crude and industrial which are all the things we struggle with. The two away defeats were a blow but again to be expected.

Your not going to win them all and so maybe this was the wake up call we needed.

I think were a decent to good side and if PB can bring in a few decent additions then we could become a force. Whilst yesterday was unacceptable I personally am putting it down to a bad day at the office.

I didnt get to the game yesterday, but my son said we looked a totally different side second half. Still early days and we still have a 50% win ratio;-).

Had to wait until today to post as was in a foul mood after yesterday's performance.

On reflection I think most of us would have taken nine points from the first six games. It is a blow that the last three have been defeats but having had our best start since caveman times the only way was down.

Morecambe are always a bogey side. They are strong, crude and industrial which are all the things we struggle with. The two away defeats were a blow but again to be expected.

Your not going to win them all and so maybe this was the wake up call we needed.

I think were a decent to good side and if PB can bring in a few decent additions then we could become a force. Whilst yesterday was unacceptable I personally am putting it down to a bad day at the office.
good post.... I came home last night, looking for a cat to kick up the backside.... What I don't get , is that we swing from really good effort and performances, to yesterday's rubbish..
i have to put it down to a bad day....as I just don't get it....

I was and still am puzzled how we went from 1-0 up and looking reasonably comfortable to a team lacking so much confidence. The crowds this season have been decent on numbers and positive. Yet a goal out of nothing for then and we looked a different team. Granted that the goal after HT so soon was a major blow, but thereafter we looked void if ideas. Yet this is the same team that kept three clean sheets and looked do solid for the first three games and also one that should have and probably deserved something out of both the Wycombe and Chesterfield games. I'm hoping its a blip and we can get to winning ways on Friday, but PB has a big week ahead.

Without slagging anyone off, I'm afraid it's time to bench Straker, you can not leave either Hurst or Atkinson on the bench for him, the guy might just be a left back, bit he defo not a midfielder. Timlin must be given a few more games, he certainly wasn't himself yesterday, bit needs match time to get back. Leonard I thought was the pick yesterday and did what he does. The front two, plus Corr did ok but only had scraps to feed off. Both Coker and White did ok, with the main problems coming down the middle. Possibly if we r able, we need a big commanding CB is required.

so not all doom and gloom, bit we need to get back on track and quickly.

Last week I had a great few days for the company I work for. We made a couple of good deals, the atmosphere in the office was great and the future was looking bright. This week, all change. Missed opportunities, the opposition got in ahead of us and we lost out on what should have been a profitable week. That's business, that's life, that's football. Next week we hope to put it right. Back to square one on Monday morning where we will have to work out where it went wrong and look to put it right. Sound familiar?

Like most on here I am not a Straker fan but rightly this week he is not being used as the scapegoat. Poor team performance all round. Individual mistakes cost us yesterday. Prosser has been targeted by fans for being a route one footballer with crap distribution ability. He has tried to rectify that recently but it seems that's what may be getting him into trouble. League 2 football can be attractive sometimes but I would be more confident in our defensive capabilities if Prosser got hold of the ball and got rid of it upfield quickly. Leave the distribution to others.

Last week I had a great few days for the company I work for. We made a couple of good deals, the atmosphere in the office was great and the future was looking bright. This week, all change. Missed opportunities, the opposition got in ahead of us and we lost out on what should have been a profitable week. That's business, that's life, that's football. Next week we hope to put it right. Back to square one on Monday morning where we will have to work out where it went wrong and look to put it right. Sound familiar?

Like most on here I am not a Straker fan but rightly this week he is not being used as the scapegoat. Poor team performance all round. Individual mistakes cost us yesterday. Prosser has been targeted by fans for being a route one footballer with crap distribution ability. He has tried to rectify that recently but it seems that's what may be getting him into trouble. League 2 football can be attractive sometimes but I would be more confident in our defensive capabilities if Prosser got hold of the ball and got rid of it upfield quickly. Leave the distribution to others.

Couldnt agree more.

For me the first genuinely poor performance of the season. I think with just the rub of the green we could quite easily have come into yesterday's game unbeaten this season - and then I guess we might be putting this down to just a blip rather than looking at three straight defeats. I grant you there are a few worrying signs - lack of a dominant centre half, lack of a player willing/able to sit in front of the back four (Antony Grant mould) and lack of quality balls into the front two. However if PB can address the first point in the loan market, and Timlin (when 100% fit), Laird (when fit) or Connor make the DM role their own ......and finally whoever is playing out wide (not sure what Atkinson had done wrong hitherto btw) make more effort to get behind the fullback and look up before trying to find a teammate I think we will win more than we lose.

Most of us before a ball was kicked were saying avoiding the drop would be good whilst mid table was the favourite final position.Hope we get back to winning ways bloody quick.

For me the first genuinely poor performance of the season. I think with just the rub of the green we could quite easily have come into yesterday's game unbeaten this season - and then I guess we might be putting this down to just a blip rather than looking at three straight defeats..
Yes, agree with this, we've not played badly in any other game...was that down to the changes of personnel yesterday? I don't think so, Cauley has been with us all week and didn't seem to be having a problem fitting in, it was more the style of play we seemed to change....where was all the crisp passing to feet? Why had we suddenly started hitting them long when Morecambe had so many tall players? It was the change of style that caused the problems.

What riles me so much is the willingness of the Roots Hall crowd to leap on a player's back when they make a few mistakes. We had an absolute **** in front of us who clearly disliked Straker and was on his back from 5 minutes in. Every touch of the ball he was berating him loudly, shouting out for him to be subbed - several times my dad and I very loudly said he should get off his back, but although he did quieten down a bit, he maintained his stance, even blaming Straker for something that Freddy did wrong on the opposite side of the pitch!

It's not going to help at all if idiots like that verbally abuse our players whenever they do stuff wrong. It'll make them hate playing at Roots Hall again, and that will have a knock on effect on attendance. For goodness sake, it's ok to be frustrated, it's ok to vent a little anger but it's not ok to berate an individual for 80 minutes of a football match! If that's his idea of "supporting" then I hope he ****s off to a different seat soon! :angry:

To be honest they wanted it more than we did yesterday, from the players right through to the coaching staff, who by the way did not shut up throughout the match, constantly shouting out orders while PB and co were relatively quiet in comparison. PB was desperately at one stage berating Straker for taking too many touches, and was trying to get the team to up the tempo, but after the 3rd goal he, like the crowd went quieter.
Bad day at the office? I hope so!

Yes, agree with this, we've not played badly in any other game...was that down to the changes of personnel yesterday? I don't think so, Cauley has been with us all week and didn't seem to be having a problem fitting in, it was more the style of play we seemed to change....where was all the crisp passing to feet? Why had we suddenly started hitting them long when Morecambe had so many tall players? It was the change of style that caused the problems.

What riles me so much is the willingness of the Roots Hall crowd to leap on a player's back when they make a few mistakes. We had an absolute **** in front of us who clearly disliked Straker and was on his back from 5 minutes in. Every touch of the ball he was berating him loudly, shouting out for him to be subbed - several times my dad and I very loudly said he should get off his back, but although he did quieten down a bit, he maintained his stance, even blaming Straker for something that Freddy did wrong on the opposite side of the pitch!

It's not going to help at all if idiots like that verbally abuse our players whenever they do stuff wrong. It'll make them hate playing at Roots Hall again, and that will have a knock on effect on attendance. For goodness sake, it's ok to be frustrated, it's ok to vent a little anger but it's not ok to berate an individual for 80 minutes of a football match! If that's his idea of "supporting" then I hope he ****s off to a different seat soon! :angry:

Totally agree,

Never understand why these "fans" think the lads are easy targets for their stupid abuse.

This is why I have been a supporter home and away for 55 years!! Don't you just love how predictably unpredictable our teams are? Onwards and upwards, cat soundly thrashed. COYBB

As a paying spectator he is entitled to his view just as much as you are and boy do you have it! The players didn't play well yesterday and in my opinion needed to be aware of that that kind of ineptness is unacceptable! its no good being blinkered and moving on to Friday pretending yesterday didn't happen. This "Bad day at the Office" stuff happens for a reason, normally coz they were better than us (and they were yesterday). If all we do is cheer when they f*** things up then they have no incentive to buck their ideas up. Tbh I don't want players in a blue shirt if they can't play for s**t, I want competent ones. The fact is Straker is crap (whether playing in his correct position or not).

Some people just seem to get pleasure out of giving players grief. It's awful to hear. There was a guy behind me that let rip into Jack for being small. It was terrible and constant. Well, apparently Messi is small, aswell. I was soooo pleased Jack did well when he came on. Soon shut the guy up...

It's not just our so called 'supporters' who need to calm down and give the lads support when things are going wrong.

Unfortunately I was not able get to the game yesterday but did manage to listen to the commentary on Blues Player.

I could not believe it when the 'ex-professional' co-presenter berated Ryan Leonard, when a long range effort from him went over the bar, by saying why did'nt he keep it lower like Steven Gerrard did when he scored in the England game a few days ago.

I'll tell you why, matey, Gerrard is a 30+ Premier Star with numerous England caps and captain to boot, earning millions a year - Leonard is a not very experienced 21 year old playing in League Two earning probably just enough to keep his head above water like all players at this level.

Also, listening to his comments on the radio it sounded as if Timlin was outstanding, was he? Not from the reports I have read - let's have a more fair and unbiased commentary please BBC Radio Essex.

Also, listening to his comments on the radio it sounded as if Timlin was outstanding, was he? Not from the reports I have read - let's have a more fair and unbiased commentary please BBC Radio Essex.

He stood out all right but for the wrong reasons; he was very poor.

Ok I'll give a bit of perspective but fear very few will like what I have to say and I also apologise for repeating this as I put these comments on another thread but feel it best served here. Yes we won the first 3 games. But I think in the main cracks were mildly being papered over. I said to Cricko on the eve of the season stasrting that I felt Plymouth would be much improved. On the day they didn't show this and in fact were abysmal. If we were that exeptional we would have buried them that day in terms of the result but it was only 1-0. Northampton for me ditto. Abysmal at RH and are still in the bottom 5 I think and the winning result for us should have been greater. Wycombe and Chesterfield I think will be top half sides this term and despite being a tad unlucky in both we couldn't quite manage to hold onto their curt-tails. The previous wins surely might have boosted confidence to get at least draws from those but it wasn't to be. And Morecambe? Did a job well but at the same time did not think they were special especially when we should have upped our game as we scored first. Thats when we should have encouraged the fans to prove RH is a fortress but somehow it didn't pan out that way. Scunny I think will be a top half side and that won't be easy. We all know when confidence is low at RH what happens. Ok confidence shouldn't be low but it is going in that direction and thats whi I fear for Friday. If the players were paid the other day then we can't use that as an excuse which in its own way would increase the concern slightly. as we can judge solely on ability and in recent games I feel that is coming slightly into question. Well as far as Promotion in concerned anyway.

Back