• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think we'll need to, irenbird. Cov are a good footballing side and we'll do well to get a result up in Brum.

My very first visit to Roots Hall with my father. ...Blues 5-1 win v Coventry!! A repeat up in Brum would be nice. Will be tough though.

I've been on holiday for the last 2 weeks, terrible news to get back to. Great symphathy from the Bearded household. Chick was no ordinary cat, he even got Mrs Bearded to care a bit about Southend. She's considering caring throughout the season as a testament to his legacy. Goes to show women will do for cats things they'd never do for humans. I don't believe that this is the end of Chicken, just that he has moved on to the next life where is needed most.
I am sure he will enjoy the great Box in the sky.

I've been on holiday for the last 2 weeks, terrible news to get back to. Great symphathy from the Bearded household. Chick was no ordinary cat, he even got Mrs Bearded to care a bit about Southend. She's considering caring throughout the season as a testament to his legacy. Goes to show women will do for cats things they'd never do for humans. I don't believe that this is the end of Chicken, just that he has moved on to the next life where is needed most.
I am sure he will enjoy the great Box in the sky.

Thanks, Bearded - much appreciated. Yes, I remember your post about Mrs Bearded earlier in this thread about her interest in our club as a result of Chick's support. I'd like to share with you both one of my favourite pics of Chick in a box. It's a bit of a tight fit, mind.

Chick Boxed In.jpg
Chick is now buried in a perfectly-sized box just where he used to go for his prompted urinations in the garden.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bearded - much appreciated. Yes, I remember your post about Mrs Bearded earlier in this thread about her interest in our club as a result of Chick's support. I'd like to share with you both one of my favourite pics of Chick in a box. It's a bit of a tight fit, mind.

View attachment 8504
Chick is now buried in a perfectly-sized box just where he used to go for his prompted urinations in the garden.

that's a lovely photo, one we have both enjoyed very much time and again. I feel like we knew him a bit, even though we never had the opportunity to meet him. We'll both miss him

that's a lovely photo, one we have both enjoyed very much time and again. I feel like we knew him a bit, even though we never had the opportunity to meet him. We'll both miss him

Ah - thanks, Bearded. Yes, he's very much missed around here and being the photogenic little fella he was, his character shone out in the pics. There's a great video of him which I can't re-post here sadly but that's another great little reminder of his wondrous personality.

Just heard the sad news: so sorry to hear that. Loved the posts!

Thanks, Sal. Yes, it was great to introduce him to the 'Zone with his uncanny early taliscatship. It's fair to say that some of the traumas of last season made it very difficult for him to ensure that we kept the faith but I'm pleased and relieved that he hung on for us long enough to see us out of trouble. With a little help from Stephen Humphrys, of course!

Hi Rob, hope you are doing ok - as a cat lover myself who has been lucky enough to share in the lives of quite a few over the years I know it is a sad time. I also used to foster for a rescue and can honestly say that each and every cat is different with their own personality and Chick was certainly special. Of course it won't be the same but I do hope that Shooe will feel able to assist with supporting our team this season.

Hi Rob, hope you are doing ok - as a cat lover myself who has been lucky enough to share in the lives of quite a few over the years I know it is a sad time. I also used to foster for a rescue and can honestly say that each and every cat is different with their own personality and Chick was certainly special. Of course it won't be the same but I do hope that Shooe will feel able to assist with supporting our team this season.

Ah - thanks Chris for your kind concern. It is certainly taking a "bit of getting used to" and I miss dear Chick profoundly. I still talk to him whenever I go near his resting place and I try not to worry about how deranged any observant neighbours might think I am.

I think that you are spot on in what you have suggested, i.e. that the unique personality of these rich souls leaves a special imprint on us. And you are right too in saying that it won't be the same but I think the games when I'm at home will evoke memories of Chick and his special presence at these times. It is likely to be especially emotional this afternoon.

I will assess Shooey's "up for it-ness" circa 2 p.m. before deciding whether it's appropriate to pitch him into the fray for what promises to be a very tough opening game. I'd be delighted if I discern a little frisson in his manner and if I detect any pertness in his demeanour, then I will have no hesitation in exhorting him to raise his game to spur on our boys. This is the look that I will be looking for … one where "the eyes have it." Oh, let us hope that these beautiful eyes have it for our opening game.

Shooey table topper.jpg

Just checked on Shooe ahead of his 2.00 p.m. fitness test before I have my pre-match bath. He's certainly looking relaxed.

Shoe Pot.jpg

He's in! It was his right leg stretch that convinced me he was ready for this one. Come on Shooey and come on you Blueboys!

He came in from outside where he's been resting. I've given him some milk and I hope it can perk him and the boys up.

Rob, if you can find out what Shooey was doing tonight and get him to do it every Saturday afternoon, it would be brilliant.

Not that I'm superstitious or anything.

Rob, if you can find out what Shooey was doing tonight and get him to do it every Saturday afternoon, it would be brilliant.

Not that I'm superstitious or anything.

Haha - I'm not sure, Cultist. I'll need to ask my step-daughter and her fella who've been looking after him for the last few days and see if I can re-enact that routine for this Saturday. :Highfive:

Back