• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Angell Delight

Life President
Do....The....Decent....Thing.

You've made a promise to Sturrock, the fans want him to manage the final and (I'd bet my bottom dollar!) so do the players. This is a situation that shouldn't have happened until after Wembley, and that's a situation of your own making. Try and come out of this with a shred of dignity and tell Brown to take the week off after Fleetwood, Luggy deserves this and if you go back on your word you'll be making yourself even more unpopular with the fans than you already are.

This situation says a lot about Phil Brown for me, I don't like the guy and I don't think it's the right appointment. The way he has handled this situation only confirms my suspicions that he is a highly unlikeable manager. He knew the JPT situation when he signed his contract and to now attempt to force a change after he has signed it is highly unethical. If this is the way he goes about his business I can't see him being given much time to bring success to this football club by the supporters before they turn on him, we want to see a man in charge we can trust.....we had that in Sturrock but you of course had other ideas.

I don't buy this old fanny about "the players will be confused" either, they're not stupid. The situation would be perfectly clear. Brown is the manager for these next 2 league fixtures, what he says goes. Brown takes a week off after Fleetwood, Sturrock is in charge and what HE says goes until the final whistle at Wembley. It would be made perfectly clear by Brown befrore Sturrock returns that after the JPT is over it's back to status quo.

I would suggest also Ron that if you want to win at Wembley those players will sweat blood on that pitch for Sturrock on April 7th.....

4456030509_d813d0d00f.jpg

Not sure if covered elsewhere, but what's wrong in Luggy doing no more than lead the team out at Wembley and Brown being responsible for everything else?

I have to disagree with you, Phil Brown is now our manager, we need to back him, forget sentiment, Sturrock can lead team out he can take the applause for what he has achieved, but let Phil brown do the job.

Like they sweated blood and tears against wimbledon, torquay plymouth? if they had perhaps he wouldnt have been in this position in the first place.

Everyone is talking about what was "Agreed"....

How do we know what was agreed?

You are all basing your opinion on what Uncle Ronnie served up on the OS on Sunday....

Everyone should be wise enough now to realise what he says and what actually is the case, are two different things entirely.

If there were any consciences being employed here then people would know the right thing to do. Brown could make himself very unpopular if he chooses to push his "claim". Ron needs to do what is right, he knows what both men were told.

Sorry. Phil Brown was wrong if he did anything other than disagree on this point, Paul Sturrock is wrong if he does not refuse the offer and Ron Martin is ludicrous for suggesting this nonsense.

Can we stop referring to 'fans' like they are a single collective with only one voice and opinion!

Personally (I am a so-called fan) and I really couldn't care less who manages the team at Wembley - it has no impact on the long-term future of the club.

Ron has made this club look a complete bloody shambles to the football world, bbc, sky, talksport, national newspapers have all seen this go on....no such thing as bad press they say but this begs to differ!!

Ron has no clue about life in the football world, how it works, he left Brown today fielding questions from all reporters that clearly Ron should have been handling, he causes a great big stir & sits back yet again. Brown should not have to answer who is leading the team out, imo Brown is the manager he should lead the team, Sturrock got the sack by losing control of the dressing room, which was displayed in his inability to speak to the team after Plymouth.

He admits he was leaving anyway, so he clearly didnt care for the league form he was on a wembley ride too, he has done a great job in the past, but he werent gonna hang around & got the sack, rightly or wrongly.

Ron needs to answer the lead out at wembley question, but it appears he dont have the guts or answers without making himself & SUFC look a complete fools yet again......................

GO RON AND DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT, OUR club will survive this uncertain period, YOUR reign wont!!

The club, has to be fair, promoted the day out at Wembley rather well. Have sold many thousands of tickets.
The club now turns the final into a total charade by suggesting that the guy who was sacked - is in charge.

While we all know the Paint Pot thingy is of no value - Southend United are turning our big day into a school pantomine with Luggy leading the team out while the real manager is twiddling his thumbs.

Am not sure if it is more funny than sad? Both really.
Only Southend United!!!

If there were any consciences being employed here then people would know the right thing to do. Brown could make himself very unpopular if he chooses to push his "claim". Ron needs to do what is right, he knows what both men were told.

Yes, and Ron being Ron, maybe the two men were told different things? :omg:

Sorry but for all Paul Sturrock has done, he is no longer manager, Phil Brown is.
It should never have come to this but quite truthfully it will be more farcical if
he is allowed to manage the team for Wembley week and ultimately pick the team.

Mascot appearance fine, but anything more will do nothing but harm to Phil Brown's
credibility. If Phil Brown gets the selection right, and the players perform for the next
2 games, assuming everyone is available, how can Paul Sturrock expect to change the
team for sentiments sake.

I for one think it will be a really bad idea for anything other than a mascot appearance

Exactly. IF Sturrock was told he could pick and manage the team at Wembley and IF Phil Brown was informed of this before signing his contract then ethically there is only one morally correct outcome - Ron should be true to his word and Sturrock should be handed his swansong at Wembley.

It wouldn't surprise me if PB wasn't told that Sturrock would be managing the Wembley match until it came up on the OS, in which case his reluctance to step aside is completely understandable, don't hate Brown for this, when it is likely Ron's fault.

Ron has made this club look a complete bloody shambles to the football world, bbc, sky, talksport, national newspapers have all seen this go on....no such thing as bad press they say but this begs to differ!!
No he hasn't though, Matt le Tissier was one who tweeted about how refreshing it was to see a chairman being so open with the fans, and he had several people reply who agreed. It's only amongst those who've had long associations with the club and those directly affected that this is the case.

It wouldn't surprise me if PB wasn't told that Sturrock would be managing the Wembley match until it came up on the OS, in which case his reluctance to step aside is completely understandable, don't hate Brown for this, when it is likely Ron's fault.

Nothing would surprise me where Ron is concerned. There's only one person I feel sorry for and that's Luggy, he didn't deserve this and Ron has handled the whole situation in an appalling manner. This decision should not have been announced until after the final, Sturrock deserved that much at least. :thumbdown:

Way too much sensitivity over this. Its an oddity to allow a sacked manager to take charge for one game but I quite like oddities, after all, I've followed Southend all my life and you cant get odder than that. Let RM PS and PB sort it out like adults. To me, the club is all and I will be there for and because of the team, no matter who leads them out.

Back