• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ojprice

Just a quick message to say hard luck yesterday, you had a couple of poor decisions although we played well. You deserved a goal I reckon. I think what struck everyone at Crewe more though was the attitude of your fans throughout the whole day, really good humoured banter all day and no aggression. Southend must be a decent place to live if yesterday was anything to go by. The minute's applause for Duggie's was a real show of class and would have been appreciated by Duggie I'm sure. I will be looking out for Southend for the rest of the season and genuinely wish you the best of luck for a late surge to the play offs.

Thanks, most of us are pretty decent people! Every club has its minority though unfortunately, I know there were some pretty awful things said by one or two elsewhere. It's a situation no parent should have to face, and the pain he and his missus are facing is totally unimaginable.

Cheers pal. I have a lot of time for Crewe and the way they have gone about things for so long, bringing through talented young players and being self-sufficient despite being my their own admission a small town with a lot of big clubs nearby. It's a shame the EPPP will probably deal you a huge blow in the future, as it will most smaller clubs like ours. You thoroughly deserved your victory and probably didn't need to get out of second gear.

Great Post

Honest I dont to to wait so long next time MR SOUTHEND UNITED FC
:thumbsup:
Love seeing my Team play there :-)

In the end the better team won, so I don't really have any complaints. I was upset we lost, but not upset enough to care all that much for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I have always said I want to see Southend play at Wembley, I've never said I want to see them win at Wembley. For that reason I have still realised an ambition. Also, for me the real reward is financial and AFAIA the difference in prize money between winning and not is about £30,000, which is dwarfed by the amount made in gate receipts.

I also agree with you that decisions didn't go our way:

We should have a penalty in the first half when Britt was bundled to the ground.
Your second goal was a foul on Mohsni.
Mohsni's header was kept out by your defender's arm, so not only could (should) it have been a penalty, it could (should) also have been a sending off.
I disagree, however, with the second penalty claim by Britt. I feel he did as much fouling as your player.

In all, 2 penalties and a debatable one, and a goal that should have been a foul. Never mind. As I said, I still realised an ambition, and I don't think we didn't play well enough to win. However, I do feel a bit cheated and maybe a goal would have sparked us into life, who knows.

In the end the better team won, so I don't really have any complaints. I was upset we lost, but not upset enough to care all that much for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I have always said I want to see Southend play at Wembley, I've never said I want to see them win at Wembley. For that reason I have still realised an ambition. Also, for me the real reward is financial and AFAIA the difference in prize money between winning and not is about £30,000, which is dwarfed by the amount made in gate receipts.

I also agree with you that decisions didn't go our way:

We should have a penalty in the first half when Britt was bundled to the ground.
Your second goal was a foul on Mohsni.
Mohsni's header was kept out by your defender's arm, so not only could (should) it have been a penalty, it could (should) also have been a sending off.
I disagree, however, with the second penalty claim by Britt. I feel he did as much fouling as your player.

In all, 2 penalties and a debatable one, and a goal that should have been a foul. Never mind. As I said, I still realised an ambition, and I don't think we didn't play well enough to win. However, I do feel a bit cheated and maybe a goal would have sparked us into life, who knows.

Agree with this analysis. It was one of those games where I think the team that played better on the day won, but with the right refereeing decisions you could have nicked it, you certainly posed enough of a threat to score. Even our fans found some of the decisions hard to understand.

Agree with this analysis. It was one of those games where I think the team that played better on the day won, but with the right refereeing decisions you could have nicked it, you certainly posed enough of a threat to score. Even our fans found some of the decisions hard to understand.

Thanks for the comments , good luck in League one.... hope to meet you in the future....!

I was worried about the ref from the moment i saw him laughing and joking with the Crewe manager in the tunnell

I just get worried most games when I see any ref these days, we sure dont seem to be getting the green lately, or is it just me ??

No complaints about the result, enjoyed the day.

I really have got a huge amount of respect for Crewe as a club. You are a club that are run the right way and must have the best set up outside of the Premiership.

The fans were brilliant, really humble and just generally a great bunch. Was nice to see so many Shrimpers join in the applause for Dugdale after just seeing our side go 1 down! The better team won and I'm just proud to have seen my little team stepping out at Wembley, I've been to the Millenium Stadium 3 times for Southend, but Wembley was just magic!

All the best in League One, hope to see you going on to better things and getting back to where you belong! Hopefully we'll meet again soon, in the right league :winking:

Great day out no gripes two teams out there one wanted it the other only turned up with 30 mins to go .Still that what supporting Southend united is all about .

I just get worried most games when I see any ref these days, we sure dont seem to be getting the green lately, or is it just me ??

No complaints about the result, enjoyed the day.

According to BBC Match Stats, Crewe had 2 fouls given against them in the entire game, thats just laughable. Not saying they bought the ref but he was clearly bias in there favour

I was worried about the ref from the moment i saw him laughing and joking with the Crewe manager in the tunnell

I was worried when I found out he was a northerner. Northern refs, by and large, favour northern clubs. It is in a northerner's DNA. Add to the laughing and joking the handshake for Max Clayton when he was substituted and the fact that he should've carded the Crewe player for simulation when he dived in teh box about 5 minutes from time and the dubious free-kick awards for Crewe when similar resulted in nothing for Southend, i.e Cresswell penalised for next to nothing on the edge of the box towards the end, yet we get nothing for the foul on Britt in the box or the poush in the back on Mohsni which ultimately ended in the second gial, and there is my evidence m'lud.

I was worried as soon as I saw Mick post this!
This match is usually given to a long-serving Football League official approaching retirement.

This year is no exception with the honour going to experienced official, Nigel Miller from Durham.

This is his tenth season as a League referee and this will be his eighth Southend match and his seventh away from Roots Hall. We haven't actually won any of his away matches although we nearly did at Luton, on TV, when Eastwood hit the post near the end in 2006/7. He also did the Southampton away end of season hammering that year when he booked Macca. These away games were sandwiched between two League defeats at Donny (2003/4 and 2007/8).

The home game he did, we actually won against Oldham in 2005/6.

His penultimate Southend match was the away televised fiasco on the beach at Colchester, three years ago. He didn't do much wrong, unlike Adam Barrett and their groundsman.

And finally his most recent Southend match was the 0-0 draw at Preston (managed by Phil Brown) in the Cup. Just two yellows to the home team (one for Phil's mate Ian Ashbee).

These 7 matches only accrued 8 yellow cards between them.

He refereed Crewe's 4-1 win over Bradford City en route to this final.

In his late forties, he looks older! He is another of the hairless referees sometimes with a moustache which makes him look a little like a military man.

Attracted some fairly serious criticism on a number of occasions in the past, but he has been okay whenever I've seen him. Getting loads of Championship matches and has shown a slightly below average 92 yellow and 4 red cards from 33 matches. Warmed up for Wembley by upsetting the Burnley manager last week for playing "too much" stoppage time.

Assistants are Ian Dudley from Nottingham and Danny Gratton from Stone. Referee Carl Boyeson from Hull will be 4th official and Marvyn Amphlett from Worcester will be reserve Assistan Referee.

Back