• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
I haven't seen many films this year - so it's been a year of new podcasts, new books, new TV shows and new music.

New podcasts:

Lore has been interesting - a bi-weekly investigation of myths/
No Such Thing as a Fish - funny at times, fascinating in others - produced by the team behind QI
Black Tapes - was a decent stab at a real ghosthunt but tailed off at the end alas
Pappys Flatshare Slamdown - late starter to this, very hit and miss but some of the episodes were hilarious

I was also mentioned on the Danny Baker show in 2015

New books

The standout has been House of Leaves - remarkable achievement. I've read a lot of books this year, but this one was amazing.

New TV

Not seen Peep Show beyond episode 1, still not caught up on Fargo S2, or True Detective S2.

However, comedy picks: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Cradle to Grave, Peter Kay's Car Share, and Asian Provocateur.
Drama: Arthur and George, Daredevil, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

But my #1 was Master of None. Sublime

Music

Action Bronson was a new pick - J Cole was good and Joey Bada$$. Neon Indian; Alabama Shakes; and the Blossoms were good, but my album I can't stop listening to is El Vy.

What were your cultural highlights?

Hard to think back to the start of the year really.

Film: Inside Out/The Little Prince - kids movies fer shure, but they are both so much more.
Comedy - Loved Car Share, only just discovered Detectorists (but love it), coming round to Master Of None. Did Parks & Rec end this year?
Drama - So much good stuff. Fargo 2, GOT, This Is England, Doctor Foster and a load of stuff I've no doubt forgotten.
Music - I have no idea but I do love Father John Misty.

Disappointments - The Returned. Got half way through, and got confused and bored. Might not even bother with the rest.
Peep Show - Very hit and miss.
Modern Family - A shadow of the show it once was.
The Affair S2 - yawnathon.

Books.
I didn't read much fiction this year, my favourite reads this year were Kim Gordon's 'Girl In A Band', 'Girls To The Front' by Sara Marcus and 'Crate Digger' by Bob Suren, all music related books.

TV Shows.
The Returned, Fargo, The Last Kingdom, Catastrophy, Lilyhammer.

Films.
Birdman, The Force Awakens, Wild, While We're Young, Straight Outta Compton, St Vincent, Horns.

Music.
Albums: Courtney Barnett, Public Service Broadcasting, Sleater Kinney, Beach House, Foals, Public Enemy.
Live: Mogwai, Barrence Whitfield & The Savages, Super Furry Animals

Back