• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane A different perspective on Roots Hall

Great Pics oh the masterful Hank...:clap:

We all wondered what happened to you on the day.

Amazing pictures. Brought a lump to my throat actually. I've only been a supporter for a small amount of time but Roots Hall will always be close to my heart. Cheers SBH, saved some to my pictures; hope you don't mind.

A few weeks ago as we set out the placards on the West Stand seats prior to the Colchester game, I had the opportunity to take some interesting shots of any empty Roots Hall. [/B]

Looking through those photos, I have to say my thoughts were as OBL and Cricko have said - weren't you supposed to be helping putting cards out rather than wandering around the stadium with your camera?

But a great set of photos, it was really interesting scrolling through them. The ones of the North Bank were particularly special - the seats just disappeared from view and I could see the old North Bank reappear and the memories came flooding back.

I have a few questions about some of the photos, but I'm going to have to look through them again and remond myself what those questions were.

But at least all those cards still got put out without your help, so well done on a good job of taking all those photos!

OK, having looked through them again I was able to answer some of the questions I had myself, but I've got a couple for you:

1. That lone seat in one row in the North Bank - where is that? Is it over towards the NW Corner where the away fans come in? I don't think I've ever noticed that before. I wonder if anyone sits in that seat. Actually, probably not, as of course away fans are all allowed to stand in the North Bank, aren't they?

2. I love that S.U.F.C. sign above the entrance to the pitch - it looks very 1950s, so is it an original feature? Does that mean it predates the famous "This Is Anfield" sign at Liverpool?

3. I've often wondered what had happened to that iron arch we had for a while on the eastern side of the ground that was given to us by the company that made that insurance (?) advert it featured in, but where exactly is it? My guess it's in the North West corner, where only away fans can see it. Am I right? If so, why put it there?

I just love seeing the quirky side of the Hall through these photos. It also makes me think I would love to have a tour round the ground before it gets knocked down, to see the different stands empty, to have a look behind the scenes - dressing room, tunnel, press box etc etc. What do you reckon the chances of Ron allowing this if we asked him nicely?

I just love seeing the quirky side of the Hall through these photos. It also makes me think I would love to have a tour round the ground before it gets knocked down, to see the different stands empty, to have a look behind the scenes - dressing room, tunnel, press box etc etc. What do you reckon the chances of Ron allowing this if we asked him nicely?

That is a must I feel before we leave the Hall..and will be something I make sure happens for all who want to take that tour.

I am kind of fortunate to have been supporting our team for so long that in the old days we were allowed everywhere and I have seen most changes since the mid 60's..lucky enough now I still get to see most parts of the ground and it is something all fan's should see before we leave RH.

That is a must I feel before we leave the Hall..and will be something I make sure happens for all who want to take that tour.

Great idea. A SZ tour of Roots Hall followed by goodbye drinks at the Spread.

Some fantastic photos there. Sent shivers down my spine some of them. Especially as its been a while since my last visit. One thing I will look forward to when i get back.

Have you spoken to the club to maybe getting them printed or put into a southend photo book of some kind?

Looking through those photos, I have to say my thoughts were as OBL and Cricko have said - weren't you supposed to be helping putting cards out rather than wandering around the stadium with your camera?

You're correct, but you were doing such a fine job and this seemed like such a good cause!!

:clap:

OK, having looked through them again I was able to answer some of the questions I had myself, but I've got a couple for you:

1. That lone seat in one row in the North Bank - where is that? Is it over towards the NW Corner where the away fans come in? I don't think I've ever noticed that before. I wonder if anyone sits in that seat. Actually, probably not, as of course away fans are all allowed to stand in the North Bank, aren't they?

Correct again sir. North West corner. They are the furthest west seats before the new seats in the corner. I took the pic because it seemed so odd that one seat sandwiched in there.

2. I love that S.U.F.C. sign above the entrance to the pitch - it looks very 1950s, so is it an original feature? Does that mean it predates the famous "This Is Anfield" sign at Liverpool?

I have absolutely no idea on that one.

3. I've often wondered what had happened to that iron arch we had for a while on the eastern side of the ground that was given to us by the company that made that insurance (?) advert it featured in, but where exactly is it? My guess it's in the North West corner, where only away fans can see it. Am I right? If so, why put it there?

Again correct. Behind the North Bank, over towards the North West corner.

Really outstanding work SBH!..My fave being the west stand front on shot, from S upper, with cards placards being shown.This is because it looks to me that it could have been taken at any time over the last 50-60 years, its quite retro!...Also because thats from where I have supported in my adult life.As a kid, it was a semi luxury to ocassionally go in there, as it always cost more than the open south bank, and it was appreciably warmer too to stand and benefit from the massed body warmth before the seats were bolted on...Overall tho', as much as I love the old place, in part because of its now homely, non corporate feel, it is a dump and long long past its sell by date..Must be quite uncomfortable to work in for some staff!

Thanks for posting these amazing pictures! It makes me really miss Roots Hall ~ I'll be back to England in February, can't wait to get back in the stands again!

Almost brought a tear to my eye - and added a steely determination to get back to see the old place one last time before they pull it down!

Great pics mate - top effort!

Would also love to get a tour around the place before we make the move to FF. A SZ tour followed by drinks would be a cool idea...maybe Matty and The Colours Between could play an acoustic gig over by the dugouts too? :)

They are really good pictures and I think a tour is a really good idea before we leave RH, but drinks in the Spread? Why not drinks in the ground?

Back