• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A dodgy day for democracy?

MK Shrimper

Striker
Tomorrow the Queen will sit in on a cabinet meeting in a purely "observatory" role. Hang on, I thought since Cromwell and all that, monarchs and elected politicians were kept well apart.

Let's hope this isn't the start of a trendy where Queen Liz can stick in her tuppence about cutting taxes for her rich mates. It'd be a million times worse when that stupid posh hippy with no grasp of anything Charles becomes King.

Tomorrow the Queen will sit in on a cabinet meeting in a purely "observatory" role. Hang on, I thought since Cromwell and all that, monarchs and elected politicians were kept well apart.

Let's hope this isn't the start of a trendy where Queen Liz can stick in her tuppence about cutting taxes for her rich mates. It'd be a million times worse when that stupid posh hippy with no grasp of anything Charles becomes King.

It's a one off, and as an observer only.

Having said that, wouldn't you consider it beneficial to have a point of view expressed to the cabinet that isn't swayed by the need to make short term plans to keep an ill informed populace content? Democracy's great, but it does need a counter. This is why the house of Lords should remain, to give a non politically biased viewpoint on policy

When was the UK a democracy? I have no doubt a stato out there can say when this country last had an election in which a majority (not largest minority with dubious polling districts) actually was elected. My point is the electoral system is not set up for a representative poll. Admittedly it is better than 95% of other nations but could/should be up dated amended.
As for Liz getting in cabinet? I'd vote for her as I think she has better moral standards, honesty and dedication to the betterment of this nation than the muppets that sit in it at present.

As for Liz getting in cabinet? I'd vote for her as I think she has better moral standards, honesty and dedication to the betterment of this nation than the muppets that sit in it at present.

Unfortunately, as with most politicians, as soon as the votes are required the moral standards would probably drop and be replaced by political opportunism.

Not a geographical separation - they are allowed in the same room!

The Queen has a weekly audiance with the Prime Minister already, so this mixing politics and monarchy is hardly anything new!

The Queen has a weekly audiance with the Prime Minister already, so this mixing politics and monarchy is hardly anything new!
I would love to know her thoughts on some of the PMs that she has had to deal with over the years. I believe Gordon brown might be bottom of the popularity list! And Cameron & Blair challenging for top of the creeps list.

I would love to know her thoughts on some of the PMs that she has had to deal with over the years. I believe Gordon brown might be bottom of the popularity list! And Cameron & Blair challenging for top of the creeps list.

She's had a weekly audience with twelve(going back to Churchill).Seem to remember reading somewhere that her maj.wasn't too impressed with Ted Heath, whereas Harold Wilson apparently, charmed the pants off her(metaphorically speaking I imagine).:smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_Queen_Elizabeth_II

Last edited:

Co-incidentally there's a new play starting in Feb.called The Audience with Helen Mirren reprising her screen role as the Queen.The plot centres around her weekly audiences with the twelve British PM's since Churchill.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2012/dec/30/2013-theatre-preview-helen-mirren

Back